Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Hype Greatest Letdown All Time Reds Team

Re: Greatest Hype Greatest Letdown All Time Reds Team

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    IIRC, Dawkins was being floated as the potential principal in the trade, not the "in addition" guy, which was Perez's role.
    Wasn't it Pokie who was the untouchable for this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Wasn't it Pokie who was the untouchable for this?
    Both Pokey and Gookie were listed as untouchables. If only the Reds had traded both.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Both Pokey and Gookie were listed as untouchables. If only the Reds had traded both.
    Man Pokey has only 5 letters in it yet I was way off in the spelling. I was looking at it thinking "this is not right". Mr. Reese I apologize.

It's really too bad Pokey and Gookie didn't work out. Awesome names for a double-play tandem...

The 1982 team was full of candidates for this list. Householder, Milner, and Cedeno have been mentioned, but what about Clint Hurdle, Alex Trevino, and Householder's twin, Duane Walker. It seemed that the two were always mentioned in the same breath. While we're add it, let's go ahead and add the team's third baseman that year, Johnny Bench.

1983 brought us Redus and Nick Esasky.

Speaking of those years, the team leader in HR each year had only 17 (Driessen in '82 and Redus in '83). Johnny Bench was second on the '82 team with 12 and no other player had more than 9. The team hit 82 for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It's really too bad Pokey and Gookie didn't work out. Awesome names for a double-play tandem...
    And if they did develop, maybe Aaron Boone would have really considered changing his name to "Pukie" Boone.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    And if they did develop, maybe Aaron Boone would have really considered changing his name to "Pukie" Boone.
    Boone, Dawkins, and Reese sounds like fake names of a platoon from a WWII video game...

Ah, Clint Hurdle. Although he didn't come through the Reds system he did play for us - he was a cover on SI I believe and as ballyhooed as any player I've ever heard of before he signed. His reality was a far cry from the greatness predicted for him. When you saw him actually play in the majors you wondered what could scouts have seen when he was a teeneager?

That tells you all you need to know about "untouchable" prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    That tells you all you need to know about "untouchable" prospects.
    No, it tells me all I need to know about Jim Bowden's GM skills.

Neither player earned the hype or the label afforded them by JimBo.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    The 1982 team was full of candidates for this list. Householder, Milner, and Cedeno have been mentioned, but what about Clint Hurdle, Alex Trevino, and Householder's twin, Duane Walker. It seemed that the two were always mentioned in the same breath. While we're add it, let's go ahead and add the team's third baseman that year, Johnny Bench.

1983 brought us Redus and Nick Esasky.
    Lets not forget about Dave Van Gorder and Tom lawless from that era.

I have a old program from around 82' that showed the new generation of Reds stars. It had Dave Van Gorder, Tom Lawless, Eddie Milner, Paul Householder, and Duane Walker on it.

I keep it around for laughs.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

This thread reminds me so much of 1997. First, a lot of us thought Bowden was a genius for acquiring Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnally:
    Code:
    Pos Player              Ag   G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  BB  SO   BA    OBP   SLG  SB  CS  GDP HBP  SH  SF IBB
    ---+-------------------+--+----+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+----+-----+-----+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
        Chris Stynes        24   49  198   31   69   7  1   6   28  11   13  .348  .394  .485  11   2   5   4   2   0   1
        Jon Nunnally        25   65  201   38   64  12  3  13   35  26   51  .318  .400  .602   7   3   2   2   1   1   0
    ---+-------------------+--+----+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+----+-----+-----+-----+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+
    Stynes & Nunnally 1997      114  399   69  133  19  4  19   63  37   64  .333  .395  .544  18   5   7   6   3   1   1
    As others mentioned, it looked like Willie Greene was going to live up to his potential.
    Eduardo Perez showed a glimmer of hope.
    Curtis Goodwin was thought to be one of the best top-of-the-order speedster prospects in the game.
    Mike Kelly did a good job off the bench and had the tools to be considered for one of the starting spots in the crowded outfield.
    Eric Owens, Aaron Boone, and Pat Watkins were all coming up and seemed like they might be able to contribute at some point.
    Pokey Reese had a rough rookie year, but not long after, he looked like he could become what Brandon Phillips is.
    John Smiley was traded for four quality prospects, three of whom were pitchers, in Damian Jackson, Jim Crowell, Scott Winchester, and Danny Graves.
    Scott Sullivan, Hector Carrasco, and Gabe White were anchoring a solid bullpen that was continuing to dumpster dive for successful closers.
    Paul Bako, Tim Belk, and Chad Mottola were still prospects.
    Brett Tomko was considered to be a future top-of-the-rotation starter.
    Todd Williams (or as I prefer to call him, the original Todd Coffey) had good velocity on his fastball, which was at the time equated with being a potential future closer.
    Steve Gibralter was getting people excited, and Brandon Larson was still a huge shortstop prospect.
    Brady Clark was rocketing through the system.
    Justin Towle crushed AA as a 23-year-old, and with prospects like Towle, Bako, Gorky Miller, Guillermo Garcia, and Justin LaRue, it looked like the Reds might not need to worry about catching for a very long time.
    Buddy Carlyle was dominant as a 19-year-old in A-ball.
    Jose Acevedo had nasty stuff.
    Dewayne Wise, Mike Frank, and Scott Williamson were new to the organization.
    Johnny Oliver was waiting on a cure for night blindness.

How about former #1 overall pick in the country Tracy Jones?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Chris Stynes and Jon Nunnally.

They tore it up the previous September, but ultimately both of them failed miserably.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    How about former #1 overall pick in the country Tracy Jones?
    He played the game...

Turn Off Ads?