Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ronald Torreyes

Resident PED Expert

Re: Ronald Torreyes

Even if Raton goes 0 for his next 64, he still would be hitting .280.

He has 56 hits in 33 games at Dayton.

He has 23 hits in his last 44 AB's.

Plus 2 walks.

He has only struck out TWICE in 102 AB's vs RHP...

In. Freaking. Sane.

I don't care if the kid ever makes the majors. He is just so much fun to watch in person and it almost makes me giddy to check his numbers from the games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Even if Raton goes 0 for his next 64, he still would be hitting .280.

He has 56 hits in 33 games at Dayton.

He has 23 hits in his last 44 AB's.

Plus 2 walks.

He has only struck out TWICE in 102 AB's vs RHP...

In. Freaking. Sane.

I don't care if the kid ever makes the majors. He is just so much fun to watch in person and it almost makes me giddy to check his numbers from the games.
    I don't see how this guy doesn't make the majors at some point, unless he somehow loses weight over the next 3-4 years.

Incredible defense alone gets him a shot at the big show.

nemesis and partisan: Obviously, you guys have watched him in person quite a bit. Last year, we got rave reviews about Torreyes' defense from redsof72, but we haven't heard much this year. Can you elaborate? My sense is that he's very sound fundamentally. Does it go beyond that? Quick hands? Decent arm? Good range? Acrobatic? Reliable? As they say, give us a full report.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    nemesis and partisan: Obviously, you guys have watched him in person quite a bit. Last year, we got rave reviews about Torreyes' defense from redsof72, but we haven't heard much this year. Can you elaborate? My sense is that he's very sound fundamentally. Does it go beyond that? Quick hands? Decent arm? Good range? Acrobatic? Reliable? As they say, give us a full report.
    Quick hands and feet, with pretty good range based on the small sample size I've seen. Very accurate arm, although I haven't witnessed any plays that required much arm strength. I think scouting reports that say his defensive tool is superior to his bat may be accurate.

Gut reaction is that he has the same defensively capabilities as Hamilton except arm strength (but I can't say that definitively).

He has not made those same incredible diving plays this year that he made in 10. But very steady, solid still. No coincidence team started winning when he got here. I am waiting for someone to say a guy hitting .412 does not walk enough. Everything about the kid is first rate. Scouts still unsure how size will play out. Will be fun to find out. 22-9. He and Hamilton are making it happen with assists from Lutz, D'Anna, Barnhart, and the pitchers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He has not made those same incredible diving plays this year that he made in 10. But very steady, solid still. No coincidence team started winning when he got here. I am waiting for someone to say a guy hitting .412 does not walk enough. Everything about the kid is first rate. Scouts still unsure how size will play out. Will be fun to find out. 22-9. He and Hamilton are making it happen with assists from Lutz, D'Anna, Barnhart, and the pitchers.
    Let me know if someone starts talking about him not walking enough. I will talk their ear off all day about it. And I am a big proponent of walking, but there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to productive offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Let me know if someone starts talking about him not walking enough. I will talk their ear off all day about it. And I am a big proponent of walking, but there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to productive offense.
    Couldn't agree more. The kid doesn't draw walks because he knows he can hit the pitches they throw him. Give me all the players you can find with that low of a strikeout rate and I'll be a happy camper.

I have to ask, not to kill the buzz, but is this kid a legit 18 years old? This is nuts!
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I have to ask, not to kill the buzz, but is this kid a legit 18 years old? This is nuts!
    Could be younger I guess.

Well, he looks like he's about 14, so, I'm going to say it is legit.

Agreed that he looks younger than 18 if anything. He could pass for 16 pretty easy.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I posted this question the other day, but at what point do you promote Torreyes? I know he's only been here in Dayton for a short while, but it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he's too good for this league. Without a doubt. I've always subscribed to the philosophy of "Coddle thy pitchers, challenge thy hitters", and this seems to be spot on for Ronald. Time for a bump. He might be a prime candidate to fast track IMO.

Also, where do people think he'll end up sticking positionally? He's played 2nd mostly this season, but he's also been at third and short as well. I'm guessing 2nd, but is there a reason he couldn't be a SS or 3b?
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 07-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I posted this question the other day, but at what point do you promote Torreyes? I know he's only been here in Dayton for a short while, but it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he's too good for this league. Without a doubt. I've always subscribed to the philosophy of "Coddle thy pitchers, challenge thy hitters", and this seems to be spot on for Ronald. Time for a bump. He might be a prime candidate to fast track IMO.

Also, where do people think he'll end up sticking positionally? He's played 2nd mostly this season, but he's also been at third and short as well. I'm guessing 2nd, but is there a reason he couldn't be a SS or 3b?
    Completely agree about challenging your hitters and coddling your pitchers.

Lohman wasn't setting the world on fire at Dayton and still got the bump to Bakersfield. If it wasn't for my interest in catching a game in Dayton sometime soon, I would definitely want to see them flipped.

And to your point about Torreyes trying out shortstop, Greene and him could take turns playing shortstop and second base. That actually seems like a pretty good solution to figure out if either of them can hit at that level (which Greene's recent streak seems to prove he can) and whether they are viable second baseman and/or shortstops.

Resident PED Expert

Yeah. If he is lying about his age, it would be under not over. But with all the international experiance he has, I'm guessing there is no questions about it.

His defensive range is solid. Plays very quick to the ball. Turns a nice Dp. Played 3B for the U18 Venezuela team. So his arm has to be decent.

Yeah his walk rate is never going to be an issue because he is probably a 70 or better with his hit tool. Hits balls everywhere. Has no weakness that I've seen against any pitch or pitcher type. Just takes what's given to him.

His range at 2B, his instincts, and his arm accuracy make it his best position.

Could he play SS? IMO, passably. Good 'nuff.

He might not have the arm for the hot corner. (And you'd be wasting his range.)

As of now, he's Brandon Phillips-ish defensively (better baseball IQ, more focused, less arm, same range, better accuracy) and good enough to play in the major leagues. Offensively, we'll see. He's got a plus hit tool (IMO) with above average power and speed.

Problem is, what happens in moving him? Rodriguez needs more time in AA and has a very nice pedigree of his own. And Brodie Greene is going for an 800+ OPS in High A as a 2B/ SS as a 23-year-old, not to mention DiDi Gregorious, who's also pushing an 800 OPS (as a 21-year-old). None of these guys are worthy of pushing up right now aside from Torreyes, but all are prospects.

If Torreyes continues to hit at this level, perhaps the Reds consider skipping him above High A next season and see how he responds to AA? That would push him ahead of either Greene or Gregorious (likely the younger) and just behind H. Rodriguez.

Turn Off Ads?