Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Just to cover the bases, though, a knowledgeable person close to the Blue Jays said that the Jays and Reds HAVE talked. The Jays are NOT interested in Encarnacion. They are most interested in minor league prospects.
    So clearly what Hal is saying here is that the REDS ARE GETTING ROY HALLADAY!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't understand what you are getting at. What EE and Rolen have done thus far this season is water under the bridge. All we care about is what they will do for us over the next two and a half months. So I don't care what EE would have to do to get his OPS over 800 or how high of a BA Rolen has right now. What is their true skill level? Perhaps more importantly, what is the difference in talent between the two players? Will the addition outweigh the burned resources?

BTW, if BaseClogger doesn't think Matt Holliday puts the Reds over the top he surely doesn't think Scott Rolen puts them over the top. Besides, like Hal said, the Reds have a 3B...
    They do? Who? I don't see one on the roster.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I am all for the shot in the arm fix but economics are going to come into play for dang sure. If the price to get Rolen is his full salary and top notch prospects ................... no bloody way! Roy Halliday on the other hand wow , that you empty the bank for and spin him when time comes that he can not be resigned. The Doc quite simply put is a work of art seldom ever found.

Just wanted to add this wow did I do a dang decent job in the mock 2006 draft! Hope to get back into it next year since it was my Idea!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

What about a trade to bring Rolen in and moving EE to LF? I know it is in the middle of the season, but really how much worse could he be defensively in left than at third?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't understand what you are getting at. What EE and Rolen have done thus far this season is water under the bridge. All we care about is what they will do for us over the next two and a half months. So I don't care what EE would have to do to get his OPS over 800 or how high of a BA Rolen has right now. What is their true skill level? Perhaps more importantly, what is the difference in talent between the two players? Will the addition outweigh the burned resources?

BTW, if BaseClogger doesn't think Matt Holliday puts the Reds over the top he surely doesn't think Scott Rolen puts them over the top. Besides, like Hal said, the Reds have a 3B...
    I know what you're saying and like how you refer to yourself in the third person but I think the net gain by plugging Rolen into the 3B spot > the net gain by plugging Holliday into the LF spot.

Hypothetically, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I know what you're saying and like how you refer to yourself in the third person but I think the net gain by plugging Rolen into the 3B spot > the net gain by plugging Holliday into the LF spot.

Hypothetically, of course!
    Hmm? Edwin to Oakland for Holliday and a package of prospects to Toronto for Rolen?

Well the offense would be a lot better but at what cost?

Finally, a "real article" backing some of this up...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...85181-sun.html

Red-hot Rolen on Reds' radar

By BOB ELLIOTT, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 10th July 2009, 4:17am

* Email Story
    * Print
    * Size A A A
    * Report Typo
    * Share with:
    + What are these?

The Cincinnati Reds have talked internally about obtaining third baseman Scott Rolen from the Blue Jays.

The trade would re-unite Rolen with general manager Walt Jocketty. The two were together in St. Louis when the Cardinals won the 2006 World Series over the Detroit Tigers.

The Jays are looking to dump payroll and Rolen earns $11 million US this year and in 2010, the final two years of an eight-year $90-million contract he signed with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2002. Rolen has been the Jays' best hitter this season, batting .330 with six homers and 34 RBIs and is working on a 25-game hit streak.

The Reds had a scout in St. Petersburg to watch Rolen this week as the Jays played the Tampa Bay Rays.

Besides dumping cash, the Jays are looking for prospects in return.

The Reds, however, have dangled third baseman Edwin Encarnacion, 26, who started 143 games at third for them last season, hitting .251 with 26 homers and 68 RBIs.

This season, he has appeared in only 25 games after breaking his wrist in April, and is hitting just .150 with one homer.

He earns $2 million this season and next season will earn $4.75 million.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Dodgers had scouts Vance Lovelace and Lee Elia, a former Jays coach, watching Roy Halladay's start against the Rays yesterday afternoon.

Also on hand were Jay Wetherby of the Detroit Tigers and Joe Sparks of the Oakland A's. Both clubs are possible Halladay suitors. The Boston Red Sox also had a scout there.
    My guess is the Jays would want something like Frazier and Wood. Not sure I'd like that...
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-10-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Maloney and Valaika?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Finally, a "real article" backing some of this up...

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...85181-sun.html
    It made a lot of sense that something like this was being discussed. The Reds' non-denial denial through Hal McCoy seemed very weak. They went out of their way to mention they had a third baseman already, but it was not suggested they add a second third baseman, but rather replace the one they have with a different one.

As I said earlier in this thread, I was not sure if I believed the actual first rumor, but I definitely believed something like this could be in the works. Now it seems like perhaps the poster that initiated this rumor could potentially have been correct in what he heard.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Maloney and Valaika?
    That I'd do in a second.

Move EE to LF and platoon Gomes with Bruce.

I think they'd at least demand Cozart over Valaika though, and would probably still want more.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That I'd do in a second.

Move EE to LF and platoon Gomes with Bruce.

I think they'd at least demand Cozart over Valaika though, and would probably still want more.
    But if they are looking to cut cost and don't pay any salary, the prospects will not be as good.

As for EE, maybe they ship him, Dickerson and a prospect to Oakland for Holliday. Dreaming I know but man would that ever cure the offensive woes.

High five!

The only thing about the Rolen deal is that the Reds would really have to be looking at some seriously creative banking to make the numbers work. I do imagine that Rolen would drive up ticket sales a bit as he's a name that casual fans probably know.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    But if they are looking to cut cost and don't pay any salary, the prospects will not be as good.

As for EE, maybe they ship him, Dickerson and a prospect to Oakland for Holliday. Dreaming I know but man would that ever cure the offensive woes.
    If we got Rolen, I'd honestly be looking for another SP more than LF.

How long is Rolen signed for?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The only thing about the Rolen deal is that the Reds would really have to be looking at some seriously creative banking to make the numbers work. I do imagine that Rolen would drive up ticket sales a bit as he's a name that casual fans probably know.
    I suspect that a Rolen deal would be accompanied by an Encarnacion & prospects deal somewhere else for another player as well as a trade of Harang or Arroyo.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?