Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about the Reds fans being "Rebels" tonight and NOT waving those stupid towels?

How about the Reds fans being "Rebels" tonight and NOT waving those stupid towels?

Is it just me or are those towels the most annoying thing that the national media have rammed down our throats?

Reds fans: PLEASE JUST SAY NO!

How about we rally to help the baseball world to stop the stupidity?!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about the Reds fans being "Rebels" tonight and NOT waving those stupid towels

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Is it just me or are those towels the most annoying thing that the national media have rammed down our throats?

Reds fans: PLEASE JUST SAY NO!

How about we rally to help the baseball world to stop the stupidity?!
    Nah. It's pretty cool looking if you ask me. Plus it's fun to wave around. Let people have fun

Re: How about the Reds fans being "Rebels" tonight and NOT waving those stupid towels

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    Nah. It's pretty cool looking if you ask me. Plus it's fun to wave around. Let people have fun
    I disagree on both counts. No worries. To each his own.

I want it loud all game and BOOMING every out of the 7th-9th

No way to hear the idiotic and embarrassing howling.

Toweling and howling. I can do without either.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Toweling and howling. I can do without either.

Sheeeesh, Scrooge thread of the year!

The stadium crew put up a message on the scoreboard "Reds take the field: NO TOWEL ZONE!" People were still waving them. They waved them more when the Reds were pitching than hitting.

At least the crowd was loud enough to drown out the majority of the howling. It really only took off once while Marshall was pitching, for about ten seconds.

The towel thing is getting pretty tired. If it must be done, the towels should be Red so they are not as distracting to the outfielders.

Schnickelfritz

The white towel waving goes back to a 1982 NHL game when Vancouver manager Roger Nielsen (rest his magnificent soul) tied a white towel to a Hockey stick and waved it in a mock surrender to protest lousy officiating during Western Conference Finals game with the Blackhawks. Vancouver fans started waving towels in support of Nielsen and the phenomenon kind of took off from there.

Of course, we all know that the whole towel thing actually started with Myron Cope and the Steelers fans back in '75. And we have the Twins' Homer Hanky starting in '87.

Knowing is half the Battle - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in IL View Post
    The towel thing is getting pretty tired. If it must be done, the towels should be Red so they are not as distracting to the outfielders.
    They put the sign up at the game to NOT wave them when the Reds are in the stands. It is a advantage to the Offense to have those towels going to distract fielders on plays, i.e. throws to first(imagine a sea of white movement in Rolen and Votto's sightline on a close play to 1st, or the SF SS and 1B).

The Towels should be White and the fans should be smart enough at the game to know when to and when NOT to waive those towels. This is the Home field advantage, like cheering when your Defense is on the field in football to make it harder for the Offense to audible.

Wave them when the Reds are at bat, DO NOT wave them when the Reds are in the field.

While we're at it, stop cheering. It would also be nice to see some color in the stands other than red. What's with all the red? We should make the reds assign colors for each section, like a rainbow and paint pretty unicorns everywhere.

Go watch golf

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

It primarily happened with 2 outs and 2 strikes while the Reds were on defense. That's not different than any other game. Everyone cheers in that situation, it feeds the pitcher and intimidates the batter.

i hate everything about fan towels. maybe i just associate them subconsciously with the football team from pennsylvania. i just about puked when i saw reds fans using them..

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    The white towel waving goes back to a 1982 NHL game when Vancouver manager Roger Nielsen (rest his magnificent soul) tied a white towel to a Hockey stick and waved it in a mock surrender to protest lousy officiating during Western Conference Finals game with the Blackhawks. Vancouver fans started waving towels in support of Nielsen and the phenomenon kind of took off from there.

Of course, we all know that the whole towel thing actually started with Myron Cope and the Steelers fans back in '75. And we have the Twins' Homer Hanky starting in '87.

Knowing is half the Battle - YouTube
    Actually it started with the 1972 Miami Dolphins fans waiving white handkerchiefs.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNtransplant View Post
    They put the sign up at the game to NOT wave them when the Reds are in the stands. It is a advantage to the Offense to have those towels going to distract fielders on plays, i.e. throws to first(imagine a sea of white movement in Rolen and Votto's sightline on a close play to 1st, or the SF SS and 1B).

The Towels should be White and the fans should be smart enough at the game to know when to and when NOT to waive those towels. This is the Home field advantage, like cheering when your Defense is on the field in football to make it harder for the Offense to audible.

Wave them when the Reds are at bat, DO NOT wave them when the Reds are in the field.
    Yep, if you're going to do it then please be smart about it!

You can do it Cincy fans, be the 10th man!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by smixsell; 10-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Turn Off Ads?