Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Is it me, or have we heard nothing from Price about the Chapman decision?

not a peep. None of the beat reporters have asked him about it? I find that hard to believe.

Just seems odd is all
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Likes:

jimbo (03-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I wasn't referring to what you said, but someone else did say exactly that.
    I know, but I mentioned him possibly exiting, and just wanted to put my spin on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    woy, for two straight seasons Chapman stated he wanted to start. this is the first time he's stated he wants to close. Dusty has never said a positive thing about him wanting to start.

An announcement was leaked, then retracted. prior to that Jocketty said they take player preference into consideration, but that they don't always get what they want.

So, it seems, Jocketty signed him to be a starter. Price was in multiple interviews this past off season talking about how Chapman as a starter was the best thing, seemed very excited about it. Every time it was mentioned to Baker, in interviews or caravans, he seemed rankled by the very question... from all reports.

Maybe these were the droids we were looking for after all.
    People change their minds

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

The bottom line from Chapman: He prefers the rush of the ninth-inning save situations over the long-haul nature of starting.

"In the beginning when I started closing, it was something I didn't know," Chapman said. "But as I started throwing and getting into the late part of the game when the game is more exciting and has more meaning, I kind of liked it. Yeah, the adrenaline goes up and I like to be in that situation. I would like to be a closer, yeah, but there are some things that I can't control."

Earlier in camp, pitching coach Bryan Price said he could not imagine a 25-man roster without Leake being on it.

One way or the other, Chapman would like to know what's in store for him as soon as possible.

"I'm waiting for this," Chapman said. "I want to feel better about the situation and I want to concentrate more on whatever they tell me to do. I will sit down here and wait for their decision."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I don't think it would be safe to say he'd be "mediocre".

Inconsistent, sure.

Chapman at 150 IP with 10k per 9 and an era in the mid 4's is what I'd expect.
    Ok.. but Leake has a career ERA of 4.23 over 3 years/485 IP.
    He doesn't K 10 per 9 IP, but during the regular season, you want the BOR guy to give you innings/quality starts (so you have a chance to win).. Whether the starter does run prevention through K's or any other method really doesn't matter to me.

So I guess Chapman at a 4.50 ERA isn't really much of an upgrade to me.
    In fact, it might be a downgrade. And yes, a 4.50 ERA as a starter is mediocre.

For Leake's career, he averages 6.2 IP per start (That's real decimal: 6 1/5 innings). That's not something to jump up and down with excitement with, but
    it's pretty steady, and Chapman would not have been able to average that many IP per start. Chapman starting would put a toll on the pen, much like Volquez did in 2011. That tires out the pen, and impacts games in which Chapman does not start.

If Chapman needs a "personal long reliever" like Leake or Lecure to be available at every start to bail him out and keep his IP low, I really question the value of him starting. If we were rebuilding, I'd have no problem with it, but I think Chapman starting is much more likely to hurt us in the pennant race than Leake starting would.

Beyond 2013, maybe starting him this year pays dividends, maybe not.
    But beyond 2013, Choo is gone, and everyone is a year older, etc.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I disagree about his command not needing improvement.

I think a big chunk of his gopher problem is because he gets wild in the strikezone and leaves pitches hanging up in the zone a little too often. As he matures and gains more command/consistency with his pitches, I expect we'll see his HR rate drop to something more in line with what you would expect out of a ground ball pitcher.
    He has to stay around the strike zone because he rarely can fool anyone and get them to chase off the plate.

Mike Leake's #1 problem isn't command -- it's that his stuff simply isn't very good.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Problem is, he knew what he was doing was wrong, whether he was going to have to wait an hour to get someones attention or not. But he still did it. Don't try to make excuses for theft.
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

When someone points out how smart a guy Leake is, isn't is acceptable to point out when Leake wasn't so smart?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Bolded for truth.

I am sure Bryan Price felt the Chapman decision was a swift kick to the nuts. It has to be a big embarrassment for Price to be associated with such an old-school backward-thinking decision. .
    I am sure Price was given the opportunity to give his input.
    Price believes that Chapman is not going to reach his full potential as a reliever.
    I can see that logic.
    However, I bet Price also sees that the team MIGHT be better with Leake starting and Chapman closing.
    Honestly, Price has been around baseball for a long time. I'm sure he can accept decisions like this and realize that he's not always going to get this way.
    This is not a "kick in the nuts"
    I just don't see him getting so upset that he would quit over this.

When someone points out how smart a guy Leake is, isn't is acceptable to point out when Leake wasn't so smart?
    Smart on the mound does not always equate to making good decisions outside the lines. That's a stretch..........

He stole about $50 worth of merchandise over what appears to have been a dumb misunderstanding on his part.

Everyone here must be a freaking saint!

One incident (good or bad) is not enough to form a judgement of a person's intelligence.
    Honestly, I really don't care what Leake's real IQ is..

He seems to know how to pitch effectively. He can't always execute what he wants to do (and HRs are often the result, that's a fair criticism).
    Hopefully that can improve with time. I can't guarantee that will improve, but it's a reasonable hope. He did have a great 2011. Heck, 2010 was respectable too.
    Not an ace season, but a valuable guy, especially at the salary he's making.

One incident (good or bad) is not enough to form a judgement of a person's intelligence.
    Thank goodness for that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So we can never say someone screwed up or hold them accountable? What world do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He has to stay around the strike zone because he rarely can fool anyone and get them to chase off the plate.

Mike Leake's #1 problem isn't command -- it's that his stuff simply isn't very good.
    There is nothing wrong with staying around the strikezone. Plenty of really good pitchers don't depend on getting hitters to chase bad pitches. What a pitcher can't do is miss his spots INSIDE the strikezone. If you miss outside the strikezone it is no big deal (unless it is a three-ball count). If you miss inside the strikezone, there is a high probability of giving up an extra base hit.

Leake's stuff is good enough to be effective if he locates his pitches. Where he gets in trouble is when he throws a mistake pitch. A guy like Chapman can blow a mistake pitch past hitters. When Leake makes a mistake, it gets hit HARD. Leake certainly has room for improvement when it comes to his consistency inside the strikezone. The more he can limit his mistakes, the less hard contact hitters will make against him.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Leake became an Arroyo clone as he gains more experience and better command. As a best case scenario, I could even see him becoming a Tim Hudson-type if he really gets his control dialed in.

17. Likes:

jimbo (03-26-2013),mth123 (03-27-2013),Revering4Blue (03-26-2013)

So, Leake "knows" how to pitch, he just can't execute?

the very definition of damning someone with faint praise. I know what i want to do with my money...i just get distracted at Best Buy.

As for people changing their minds... again I point to Price who has yet to weigh in on this decision.

Turn Off Ads?