Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 British Open

2009 British Open

Tiger is at a +5 after two rounds, the projected cut is +4. Looks like Mr. Woods will be missing his fourth career cut, and second at a major, after the 2005 U.S. Open.

And how about Tom Watson tied for the lead going into the weekend?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 British Open

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Tiger is at a +5 after two rounds, the projected cut is +4. Looks like Mr. Woods will be missing his fourth career cut, and second at a major, after the 2005 U.S. Open.

Yeah, I think that Watson being tied for the lead is possibly a bigger story than Tiger missing the cut.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    That is so cool. If Tiger doesn't make the cut, that's going to be a blow to ratings for whomever is covering it (ABC?) but Watson's story should make up for it. Sort of like Jack at the Masters in 86.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Tom Watson story is something. We'll see if he can hang on.

At the ages of 61 to 63 Sam Snead finished 4th, 9th 3rd in the PGA Championship. Nicklaus finished 6th at the Masters when he was 58.

Lots of big names missed the cut. Still should be a good weekend of golf though.

I love the British Open because I can lay in bed at 8 in the morning and watch golf.

Oh man, if Tom is in contention on Sunday I will be rooting harder that at any other golf tournament ever (maybe even more than last year's Ryder Cup). If he winds up winning it will be the biggest story in golf in I don't know how long. It probably surpasses the 97 Masters, definitely the '86 Masters.

His daughter works at my company doing the same thing I do. I don't know her well, but my buddy I played golf with today knows her very well and spoke to her this morning. She said they were just hoping he could stay within the top 10 going into the weekend. Guess he exceeded even his own family's expectations.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Reason enough to root for Watson

Argyle, catch the fever!

Watching online this morning. So far, Tiger has been mentioned about eight times, Watson once.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Watching online this morning. So far, Tiger has been mentioned about eight times, Watson once.
    Tiger's only missed 5 cuts as a pro, and only 2 that were Majors.

It's kind of a big deal...

Watson's a feel good story right now. If he finishes Round 3 within striking distance, then what he's doing is significant.

I hate to say it, but it's hard to get excited for this tournament until Sunday. Many guys can lose it today, but no one will win it until tomorrow. Lotta golf to be played.

If the wind rain blow in, I think its expected today, it will be the golfer who doesn't give up the most strokes. Without the wind and rain Turnberry just doesn't have the teeth that other open courses have.

To thoughts after reading Jason Sobel's blog. I can't believe Watson is only 59 years old. He seems like he has been playing for ever. And I also can't believe Retief Goosen is in his 40's. He just doesn't seem that old.

Watson is your 54 hole leader. Almost dropped a 20+ footer on 18 which would have given him 3 straight birdies to finish and a two stroke lead, but he got par and is the sole leader going into tomorrow. This tournament has been absolutely awesome to follow. This course is great for Watson's game, and he has been a magician on the greens. Hopefully he can keep it up for one more day and win this thing!

Wow. This can't be happening. I REALLY want to believe, but I just can't get there. I just can't get myself to believe he's not going to fade tomorrow and be out of it by the 6th hole. My money is on Westwood or Goosen, but I'll be pulling for Tom harder than I've ever pulled before. Let there be wind.... and lots of it.

If Watson wins tomorrow, can anyone think of something bigger that's happened in our lifetimes in the game of golf? I can't.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Wow. This can't be happening. I REALLY want to believe, but I just can't get there. I just can't get myself to believe he's not going to fade tomorrow and be out of it by the 6th hole. My money is on Westwood or Goosen, but I'll be pulling for Tom harder than I've ever pulled before. Let there be wind.... and lots of it.

If Watson wins tomorrow, can anyone think of something bigger that's happened in our lifetimes in the game of golf? I can't.
    Biggest story of sports in the last 10 years. It'd be like John Henry (if age wasn't a requirement) winning the Kentucky Derby about 15 years ago.

Watson takes Metamucil.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

Jack winning in 86 at the Masters was pretty special. John Daly winning the PGA in 91 being the 8th alternate was a pretty big win as well.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    Watson is your 54 hole leader. Almost dropped a 20+ footer on 18 which would have given him 3 straight birdies to finish and a two stroke lead, but he got par and is the sole leader going into tomorrow. This tournament has been absolutely awesome to follow. This course is great for Watson's game, and he has been a magician on the greens. Hopefully he can keep it up for one more day and win this thing!
    The question is, if he wins, does he hang out for another week and play the Senior British open???
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?