Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leake has thrown 403 pitches in 4 starts so far.

Redlegs_87

Mike Leake has thrown 403 pitches in 4 starts so far.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daughert...ning-line-429/

M. Leake has thrown 403 pitches in 4 April starts. That’s a pace that makes me nervous. I wondered last night why he needed to pitch the 7th, but the bad Astros made life easy for him. But at this rate, the kid will not pitch in September. Or shouldnt, if anybody’s interested in his arm.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Mike Leake has thrown 403 pitches in 4 starts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs_87 View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daughert...ning-line-429/

M. Leake has thrown 403 pitches in 4 April starts. That’s a pace that makes me nervous. I wondered last night why he needed to pitch the 7th, but the bad Astros made life easy for him. But at this rate, the kid will not pitch in September. Or shouldnt, if anybody’s interested in his arm.
    Good point. Jocketty had something to say about that (potentially shutting him down in September) in the SI article.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

At ASU, he had 127 IP frosh year, 121 IP soph year, and 142 IP junior year. Hopefully they will keep an eye on it and not allow him to throw more than 160-180 innings this season. But, it's going to be hard to do that with the way he is pitching.

And he was probably throwing 125 or more pitches in a lot of his outings in college. It's obviously important to protect arms, but those college guys' jobs are to win games.

If he averages 100 pitches per start on the season, thats not a bad average. Usually guys who average less are because their ERA's are so high. As long as we keep him out of the 110+ territory I am fine. He will have some games where he doesn't have it and probably throws 70-80 pitches and will bring the average down. All in all I would like to see him average about the 93-95 range over the course of the season.

403 pitches in 27 2/3 innings isnt all of a big deal. Thats 14 or so pitches per inning which is very good. Something to watch but right now its not a major worry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    403 pitches in 27 2/3 innings isnt all of a big deal. Thats 14 or so pitches per inning which is very good. Something to watch but right now its not a major worry to me.

Ditto
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan_12 View Post
    Ditto
    +1

-Matt

This thread should be more about how studly leake is becoming.

This just goes to show you a negative spin can be put on anything, lol.

Yeah, add me to the group of people who don't see anything wrong with an avg. of 100 pitches per game. Also everyone brings up that Leake only had 142IP in college but then they forget about the other 30IP he had in the Arizona fall league. All together he had over 170IP last year.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

he also throws alot of breaking stuff. It's not like Mark Pryor trying to throw 100mph for 120 pitches a game. He's not giving 100% effort on each pitch so I'd say it's ok for him.

He's fine. Let the kid pitch, and let him keep doing it effectively...

7 IP, 100 pitches, is pretty much an ideal outing. It means a lot of easy innings. Baily is averaging almost 110 pitches in only 5 1/3 innings. Baily is throwing a lot more high stress pitches.

I think when Leake has a 10 pitch 3 batter inning like the first yesterday, that is going to have very little wear and tear. It is when it gets to about 20 pitches, it starts to wear a guy down. Pitchers could throw a lot more innings, back when high pitch innings were less common.

Redlegs_87

I just posted the article doesn't mean I agree with it.

Turn Off Ads?