Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Janish

Paul Janish

Miguel Cairo had a great game yesterday with a couple of hits including a pretty big HR. However, should he be sharing some of the time at 3B with Janish? How could a guy who was nearly the Reds starting SS this year fall so far down the totem pole? I know he doesn't have a great bat but he needs some playing time going down the stretch whether it be for an injured Rolen or to give Cabrera a break. He's barely even used as a late inning defensive replacement.

What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Janish

Agreed on all accounts but it won't happen, IMO.

-Matt

Janish would get more PT except his hitting has been atrocious this year...

Racing Cheetahs

Over his career, Janish's bat has mirrorred Juan Castro's. But this year, albeit in limited opportunities, Janish's OPS is .860. Hardly terrible

Janish was almost the starting shortstop because there was no one else until they were able to secure Cabrera. I believe the Reds like his glove (and that's his reason for being on the team), but they just don't trust his bat.

When it came down to signing Cabrera or going with Janish - the back of the baseball card won out - Cabrera's is better. For that matter Cairo's is better and thus that is why Janish is the 25th man, maybe the 24th man, Owings might be the 25th man.

Also, as soon as Frazier, Cozart and/or Valaika are ready for the big leagues I think Janish will be no more.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Janish would get more PT except his hitting has been atrocious this year...
    .296/.397/.463

I wouldnt point this out if it wasnt so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Janish was almost the starting shortstop because there was no one else until they were able to secure Cabrera. I believe the Reds like his glove (and that's his reason for being on the team), but they just don't trust his bat.

When it came down to signing Cabrera or going with Janish - the back of the baseball card won out - Cabrera's is better. For that matter Cairo's is better and thus that is why Janish is the 25th man, maybe the 24th man, Owings might be the 25th man.

Also, as soon as Frazier, Cozart and/or Valaika are ready for the big leagues I think Janish will be no more.
    Cabreras OPS this year is .630

Janish Career OPS is .621

Even if Janish isnt a career .621 hitter his defense compared to a .630 OPS Cabrera makes him the better player and it wouldnt be close.

Matter of fact Janish even with his limited playing time has been the more productive player than Cabrera has been this whole season, based on WAR stat.

Cairo>Janish.

Cairo fooled us all this season and has become a extremely important factor for this ball club. Taking into consideration Rolen's chances of hitting the DL the 2nd half of the season. Cairo could become a major factor for this ball club. He's shown hes a great team player and a good contact hitter.

Janish has had his chances and in previous years and not lived up to par. Thats why we looked for something more in the 1st place.

However until Cabrera comes back to form. i think it should be 2 games Ocab 2 games janish and we see who is playing better.

All this SABR and WAR I don't care about. Paul Janish would not have 33 RBI's at this point of the season if he was playing shortstop. Janish would not have that many if he played the whole season, IMO. He is just not an offensive threat.

Cabrera has had a ton of clutch hits this season. Runs, RBI's and to a degree HR's are the most important stats. Avg. only applies in RISP. Add in stolen bases and Janish doesn't measure up. Cabrera brings more to the table. I'm not necessarily a fan of Cabrera in the two-spot, but where else do you hit him? maybe eighth.

Cabrera is the better all-around offensive player and his defense has been pretty darn good this season. This is a better team with Cabrera playing everyday than Janish, IMO and again, the back of the baseball card - also known as a track record - falls in Cabrera's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    .296/.397/.463

I wouldnt point this out if it wasnt so wrong.
    That was my whole point....

All this SABR and WAR I don't care about. Paul Janish would not have 33 RBI's at this point of the season if he was playing shortstop. Janish would not have that many if he played the whole season, IMO. He is just not an offensive threat.

Cabrera has had a ton of clutch hits this season. Runs, RBI's and to a degree HR's are the most important stats. Avg. only applies in RISP. Add in stolen bases and Janish doesn't measure up. Cabrera brings more to the table. I'm not necessarily a fan of Cabrera in the two-spot, but where else do you hit him? maybe eighth.

Cabrera is the better all-around offensive player and his defense has been pretty darn good this season. This is a better team with Cabrera playing everyday than Janish, IMO and again, the back of the baseball card - also known as a track record - falls in Cabrera's favor.
    Well at least you admit you dont care if you are wrong.

Well at least you admit you dont care if you are wrong.
    You haven't proven I'm wrong and besides it's just my opinion.

You haven't proven I'm wrong and besides it's just my opinion.
    Well you explicitly said you only care about what ever your eyes tells you makes it impossible to prove you wrong in a manner that would make you admit that maybe you arent correct.

Well you explicitly said you only care about what ever your eyes tells you makes it impossible to prove you wrong in a manner that would make you admit that maybe you arent correct.
    Who is playing and who is not? Obviously someone who has more knowledge than both you or I thinks Cabrera is a better player than Janish. That someone has constructed World Series Champion baseball teams and has built this one into a contender having its best season in 11 years.

The bottom line is - I don't have to be right and if Janish played everyday you wouldn't right.
    Last edited by markymark69; 07-20-2010 at 11:45 AM.

I don't think Janish should be the Reds starting SS or 3B, I think he should get more playing time so that Cabrera can be sharp for the home stretch. It seems that Dusty does a good job giving Rolen time off (when not injured) with days off for day games after night games but that never happens for Cabrera and we've seen his numbers slip. Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad if once a week Janish played.

Turn Off Ads?