Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who do you want as Reds closer in 2012?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Aardsma - 1 year, $2.5M

4 12.50%
  • Jeremy Accardo - 1 year, minor league contract w/ escalator clauses

1 3.13%
  • Francisco Cordero - 1 year, $6M

7 21.88%
  • Brad Lidge - 1 year, $5M

2 6.25%
  • Ryan Madson - 4 years, $36M

10 31.25%
  • Chad Qualls - 1 year, $2M

1 3.13%
  • Dan Wheeler - 2 years, $7M

2 6.25%
  • someone else via trade or free agency (please list below)

1 3.13%
  • internal option (e.g. Nick Masset, Sean Marshall)

11 34.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Want as Reds Closer in 2012?

Who Do You Want as Reds Closer in 2012?

All this talk of Ryan Madson being too expensive for the Reds has given a lot of people the impression that CoCo Cordero is pretty much the only free agent option to close for the Reds. However, I was doing some research and realized that there are a lot of options outside of Cordero and Madson. I would've included Kerry Wood, but he said he'd retire if the Cubs don't end up signing him. Anyway, what do you all think? Who do you want to be the Reds' closer in 2012? I gave my best guesses on the type of contracts it would require to bring each of these guys, but there's a good chance I'm way off on a couple of them. Feel free to make comments on that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who Do You Want as Reds Closer in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    All this talk of Ryan Madson being too expensive for the Reds has given a lot of people the impression that CoCo Cordero is pretty much the only free agent option to close for the Reds. However, I was doing some research and realized that there are a lot of options outside of Cordero and Madson. I would've included Kerry Wood, but he said he'd retire if the Cubs don't end up signing him. Anyway, what do you all think? Who do you want to be the Reds' closer in 2012? I gave my best guesses on the type of contracts it would require to bring each of these guys, but there's a good chance I'm way off on a couple of them. Feel free to make comments on that.
    Vincente Padilla is another name i wondered about as a possible bullpen arm for somebody. A poor man's John Smoltz?

I'd rather it be Madson 3yrs/$27M (possibly with an option on a 4th. If Qualls or Ardsma could be had for $2M, I'd consider one of them as a setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Vincente Padilla is another name i wondered about as a possible bullpen arm for somebody. A poor man's John Smoltz?
    He has 10 relief appearances in the past 10 years. He's certainly worth considering, but he might still consider himself as more of a starter.

I'll be pretty surprised if Madson gets a deal even close to that. I think he might be expensive but I think he could be had on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I'll be pretty surprised if Madson gets a deal even close to that. I think he might be expensive but I think he could be had on a 1 or 2 year deal.
    You're probably right, but it's Scott Boras, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    You're probably right, but it's Scott Boras, so you never know.
    Tim Dierkes had a chat today and he said he thought 3/$15M was about right for Madson, but if that were true, he'd have about 20 offers by now. Of course, several things he said in the transcript didn't make much sense. For example, he basically said that Matt Garza was not worth Logan Morrison straight up.

I voted Cordero, although I am not expecting nearly the same stats he put up last year. I would rather have Madson but not for $36 million. Some of those guys on the list are injury prone, but they would be good options if they were to stay healthy. The Reds need a boost for the pen and the options are dwindling fast. Cordero can hold down the fort for one more season. $6 million for Cordero with no long-term strings attached seems fair to me.

I went with Cordero for 1 year as well-I simply think a closer on a 1 year deal is the way to go.

Senor Votto

Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Homer Bailey
    Bailey is a good choice if Chapman is moved to the rotation,but to me Chapman should be the closer if they don't sign someone.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Bringing Cordero back at all (much less for more than $6M) is absolutely assinine. Wasting the money is one thing, but wasting the division race is another. I can see Dusty sticking with Cordero long enough to needlessly squander 5-6 games before he decides to go a different direction. That could easily mean the difference between 1st and 2nd in this division.

They were lucky to get what they did from him last year with as little damage as they did. Better to cut the losses, add a left fielder and maybe a setup man for Marrshall than roll the dice on Coco again. Not signing Cordero again is a big step forward for this franchise in itself. If they have $8M to offer Cordero, offer Madson $9M for a couple of years.

I don't care if he has a surprise resurgent season, there is no reason to anticipate it. Enough with the sentimental extensions.

If nothing else, the Reds should avoid Cordero just so he signs elsewhere and we gain another sandwich pick (if Marshall closes and leaves isn't it more likely he'll be a type-A or B than is he is a setup guy?). Just say No-no to Coco.

As for the OFs? I'm lukewarm on Ross, I'd rather have Johnny Damon or Luke Scott than Ankiel. Ludwick is OK if there's no more than one year offered (a minor league deal would be even better). If you compare Damon's numbers the last few years, he might be the best gamble of all despite his age.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-05-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Homer Bailey
    Hasn't the story on Homer been that he takes way too long to get loose to ever be seriously considered as an option for the bullpen?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I would do 4 year/36 million for Madson. He is much better than anyone on that list and remember if you are voting for Cordero, you are also losing a compensatory pick that would be in the top 100. We don't lose a comp pick if we sign Madson and he is much better than Cordero.

Marshall. Or LeCure. I kinda like the idea of the 6 out save on occasion, and LeCure could do that from time to time. In fact I see them as co-closers, with Marshall getting around 30+ and LeCure getting 15-20
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?