Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Re: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hellickson had an 8 run leading heading into the 8th inning and was well under 100 pitches heading into the inning. He gave up a triple then an RBI groundout. So he was still under 100 pitches with 1 out in the 8th and a 7 run lead. Probably no reason to get the bullpen up. He gave up a single, then got a ground out. 2 outs in the 8th inning and still a 7 run lead. Still under 100 pitches. Then back to back hits and he gets pulled.

Not sure tonight is the best example.
    8 run lead headed into the 8th, 90 pitches, threw 110 last time out, they keep him in and let him give up 4 hits that inning.

Could've easily taken him out after 7.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hellickson had an 8 run leading heading into the 8th inning and was well under 100 pitches heading into the inning. He gave up a triple then an RBI groundout. So he was still under 100 pitches with 1 out in the 8th and a 7 run lead. Probably no reason to get the bullpen up. He gave up a single, then got a ground out. 2 outs in the 8th inning and still a 7 run lead. Still under 100 pitches. Then back to back hits and he gets pulled.

Not sure tonight is the best example.
    Leake had the same implosion ...well worse...but it was near the same thing when he went into the 9th in 2010 in Philadelphia. Had a 7-1 lead? Going for the CG and a bloop here and there....then it just snowballed and Baker barely had time to get someone warm. Leake did not have 100 pitches going into the inning either.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Joe Maddon's implementation of defensive shifts and the effect it has had on the BABIP for Tampa's pitching staff is alone enough of a reason for me to nominate him.

Year/BABIP/MLB rank:

Code:
    2010     .280     2nd
    2011     .267     1st
    2012     .279     1st
    THIS

You can argue that their front office is right near the top also. Tampa is the blueprint for how to operate a small market franchise.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    8 run lead headed into the 8th, 90 pitches, threw 110 last time out, they keep him in and let him give up 4 hits that inning.

Could've easily taken him out after 7.
    Gonna guess most people let the starter throw 1 more.

Cobb and Hellickson are on my fantasy team. So no.

But these instances are highly relevant to this board and discussion. Many hear that Maddon does things differently, he is saber savvy, he is the best manager in the game, etc. And look at these three games. With two young, talented arms.
    And that was the point....it's not about Maddon at all.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    And that was the point....it's not about Maddon at all.
    Not sure what you are getting at.

Not sure what you are getting at.
    I Have A Good Idea. I Wouldn't Sweat It, Edabbs.

8th inning, 2-1 Wash lead the other night in an eventual Nats loss. Davey J at the helm. According to rotoworld, Harper also attempted a sacrifice in another AB the same night.

D Span doubled to shallow left. 2 1
    B Harper sacrificed to pitcher, D Span to third. 2 1
    R Zimmerman intentionally walked. 2 1
    A LaRoche struck out looking. 2 1
    J Machi relieved J Lopez. 2 1
    I Desmond grounded out to pitcher. 2 1

Terry Francona has not yet been mentioned in this thread. His last season in Boston certainly lead to his getting a bit tarnished but this could be eased if Cleveland can maintain its early successes. I remember him as a manager like Dusty who would give him players a lot of slack in terms of working their way out of slumps early in the season. I remember this happening with Damon and Millar in particular. I don't remember what his reputation was like for in-game tactics however other than he was not Grady Little.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-30-2013),Always Red (05-23-2013),NebraskaRed (05-23-2013),Spitball (09-30-2013)

I could have sworn that I replied to this thread mentioning Francona, but apparently I imagined that.

Agree to everything klw said, and I'd add that the success the Indians are having is in large part due to Francona.

And Stubbs...okay, maybe not Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Terry Francona has not yet been mentioned in this thread. His last season in Boston certainly lead to his getting a bit tarnished but this could be eased if Cleveland can maintain its early successes. I remember him as a manager like Dusty who would give him players a lot of slack in terms of working their way out of slumps early in the season. I remember this happening with Damon and Millar in particular. I don't remember what his reputation was like for in-game tactics however other than he was not Grady Little.
    The 2010 Boston Red Sox season opened with David Ortiz batting fifth, Adrian Beltre sixth and J.D. Drew seventh in the order.
    Manager Terry Francona wrestled all spring with whether to protect Ortiz in the order by batting Drew right behind him.
    Francona said Sunday the Game 1 lineup is not set in stone.
    "We'll see. We're trying to strike a balance, not just with the (opposing) starter but with the bullpen,'' Francona said.
    "We'd like to keep (the left-handed hitters) separated if possible. We'll see.''
    http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...y_to_keep.html

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Not Bochey... his white eyelashes bother me. At least color them, other wise, I'd be all.... LOOK AT YOUR WHITE EYELASHES.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Bochey managed circles around Dusty in the playoffs last year. He's pretty good.
    Nonsense. Unless you're crediting him with the brilliant strategy of going down 0-2 before hitting the road. Nobody's even talking about Bochy right now if a couple of Reds put bat on the ball in Game 3.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Maddon.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Has Joe Girardi garnered a mention yet? I know it's not fashionable or the cool thing to do to pick a Yankees manager, but he's done an incredible job this year leading a group of cast-offs and wash-ups to first place. And don't forget about the job he did in south Florida before ever going to New York. Anyone that can manage to lug the Marlins to respectability with that joke of an owner running the ship deserves a gold medal, not just a Manager of the Year award.

Turn Off Ads?