Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 4/8/2013 Reds at Cardinals

Re: 4/8/2013 Reds at Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    So you're saying Molina has skills of a ninja? :P
    I think that Heisey, seeing Molina standing and not crouching when he caught the ball suddenly convinced himself it was a force out and shifted to try to break up the double play.

I think he was laughing in the dugout because he felt goofy stupid after the play.

2. Likes:

MikeThierry (04-08-2013),Screwball (04-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I think that Heisey, seeing Molina standing and not crouching when he caught the ball suddenly convinced himself it was a force out and shifted to try to break up the double play.

I think he was laughing in the dugout because he felt goofy stupid after the play.
    I'm still going with the "Yadier Molina has skills of a ninja" angle.

A little nine-spot in the ninth. Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    So you're saying Molina has skills of a ninja? :P
    yes - he is good. I never much cared for him, but he is a ballplayer. He might even be Samuri
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Hanging a 9 spot in the 9th is certainly one way to avoid a 'closer' situation when your closer isn't available.

8. Likes:

redsmetz (04-08-2013),Spider Tre (04-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    There's nothing dirty about that play. He didn't have his cleats up in the air. He didn't try to injure Molina. He simply tried to slide right into Molina's legs. That's how it's actually taught.

Now, granted, he would have been better off trying to slide away from Molina in this case, but it was not a dirty play.
    He slid into Molina's planted foot, so yeah, I consider it somewhat dirty. Sure it could have been worse, but since there was no benefit for making the slide and there is some potential for injury I can see why Cards players/fans might be a tad upset. It is not like it was a force where he was trying to break up a double play.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    He slid into Molina's planted foot, so yeah, I consider it somewhat dirty. Sure it could have been worse, but since there was no benefit for making the slide and there is some potential for injury I can see why Cards players/fans might be a tad upset. It is not like it was a force where he was trying to break up a double play.
    Thom thought that maybe why Heisey did it - he forgot it wasn't a force play and he was trying to stop Molina from from getting the out at 1st.

FWIW, I think he would have been out even if he had slid towards the 3rd base side, Molina wasn't that far off the plate that he couldn't have gotten his glove down.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

11. Likes:

TSJ55 (04-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Thom thought that maybe why Heisey did it - he forgot it wasn't a force play and he was trying to stop Molina from from getting the out at 1st.
    This is the only answer that makes any sense at all to me. I can't believe anybody would think it was in any way "dirty". It doesn't look like an intent to injure Molina in any way.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

13. Likes:

redsmetz (04-08-2013)

I was busy all day and followed the game, kinda, on my iPhone with At Bat. It was off to another meeting set to start at 7:00, so I hustled to the hall and sat down. When I left, it was 4-4. I noticed my phone was buzzing over and over, and the mayor said, what's going on? You need to check that. I looked and it was 8-4. I said, "the Reds just scored 3 runs in the 9th. I had to turn on in-game radio so the rest of the bunch could catch up on what happened. When it got to 12-4, we shut it off and finished our meeting. Great way to start a Cardinals series!!!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

15. Likes:

redsmetz (04-08-2013),Tom Servo (04-08-2013)

part of BBN

Excellent job today by Latos as well !
    6IP 4 H 1 ER

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Excellent job today by Latos as well !
    6IP 4 H 1 ER
    What I thought was most important was that he not only went right to Choo to tell him not to worry about the errors and that he did not let it bother his pitching.

some more maturity we can all hope
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    cardinals are a pretty clutch team, Reds have outplayed them and they're in great position to still win
    Post of the day, ROFL.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    These days I have taken to skipping the game threads till the game is over. It is a LOT more fun and enjoyable without listening to every other Reds (zone) fan constantly criticizing whatever on the Reds is not succeeding at that exact moment.

Then after a huge comeback victory like today, it is so much fun reading all the predictions of doom and gloom posts in the game thread like the above.

This is not a jab at you matic... Just a comment about the practice.
    Best post of the whole thread. I guess I'm going to have to abide by this thinking for the next 155 games.

I could have sworn that the Reds had lost when it was 3-1 in the 4th inning. That is sure how it seemed when I was reading this thread at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    What I thought was most important was that he not only went right to Choo to tell him not to worry about the errors and that he did not let it bother his pitching.

some more maturity we can all hope
    And that really impressed me. In fact, numerous players went over and were encouraging Choo.

Teammates were quick to absolve Choo and eager to get him off of the hook. Latos was one of the players to seek him out in the dugout.

"They were two balls that I hung that I shouldn't have hung. If I don't hang them, maybe he doesn't get put into that situation," Latos said. "I can't sit there and blame him for it. He went back and made the best effort he could
    . I said, 'Forget the two errors, we need to get you on base here ... just get on base for us and score.' And then he did."..... "I have a lot of respect for Choo," Phillips said. "He could have put his head down and just say, 'Forget it' the rest of the game. He kept his head up and got some key hits. If it wasn't for Choo, we might not win this game."
    This is a corner OFer trying to learn not only a new position, but a new ballpark. I know there are some that think Heisey should be in CF, and Choo in Left. I almost tend to agree, but I understand Dusty's logic here too...

When the Reds lost left fielder Ryan Ludwick to a shoulder injury on Opening Day, the club opted to keep Choo in center field. Chris Heisey, who has more experience in center field than Choo, took over left field. Baker did not want to wreck the continuity as Choo learned his new position. If he moved, he would have to relearn it once Ludwick returns.
    Lets be patient with the kid. He sure does make it up with his bat.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

21. Likes:

jmac (04-09-2013)

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Brandon Phillips - 144
    17. Jay Bruce - 134
    18. Dan Driessen - 133
    18. Joey Votto - 133
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?