Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How many players can each minor league team have?

How many players can each minor league team have?

On the Major League roster, it's 25, not counting those that are on the DL.

What is it for each of the Minor League levels?

AAA.....?

AA.....?

High A.....?

Low A.....?

Rookie.....?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: How many players can each minor league team have?

24 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    24 I believe.
    You know, I thought the same thing, but then I look at the rosters from their own websites and there are 23 listed currently for the GCL (Rookie) REDS (from last year's roster), 16 listed currently for the Billings (Rookie) Mustangs (from last year's roster), 24 for the Dayton (Low A) Dragons, 27 for the Sarasota (High A) REDS, 28 for the Chattanooga (AA) Lookouts, and 29 for the Louisville (AAA) Bats.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    You know, I thought the same thing, but then I look at the rosters from their own websites and there are 23 listed currently for the GCL (Rookie) REDS (from last year's roster), 16 listed currently for the Billings (Rookie) Mustangs (from last year's roster), 24 for the Dayton (Low A) Dragons, 27 for the Sarasota (High A) REDS, 28 for the Chattanooga (AA) Lookouts, and 29 for the Louisville (AAA) Bats.
    GCL and Billings rosters mean nothing right now.

As for the other rosters.... thats strange, maybe they can be on the roster but you can only have an active 24 man game roster? I have no clue, but I remember there being a fuss on a Lookouts broadcast earlier this year about how ridiculous it is to have a 24 man roster in the minor leagues.

Doug, I've got to assume that 24 is the number, and the others must have that many players on the DL.

AAA = 24 w/ no player eligibility rule

AA = 23; 24 for 1st 30 days of season & after Aug. 9th, no player eligibility restrictions

High A = 25, no more than 2 players & 1 player coach on active list may have more than 6 yrs. experience

Low A = 25, same as above except 5 years experience

Short Season A = (NY Penn League) 30 active, no more than 25 in uniform for any game; no more than 4 players over age 23; no more than 4 players with 4 or more years of prior service (NW League can have 35 under control

Rookie Advanced A = 35 active 2 yrs prior service restriction, no more than 15 players 21 or older w/no more than 2 of those over age of 23, line-up card limted to 12 players age 21

Quote Originally Posted by TexRed View Post
    AAA = 24 w/ no player eligibility rule

AA = 23; 24 for 1st 30 days of season & after Aug. 9th, no player eligibility restrictions

High A = 25, no more than 2 players & 1 player coach on active list may have more than 6 yrs. experience

Low A = 25, same as above except 5 years experience

Short Season A = (NY Penn League) 30 active, no more than 25 in uniform for any game; no more than 4 players over age 23; no more than 4 players with 4 or more years of prior service (NW League can have 35 under control

Rookie Advanced A = 35 active 2 yrs prior service restriction, no more than 15 players 21 or older w/no more than 2 of those over age of 23, line-up card limted to 12 players age 21
    Thanks, Tex...I need to copy and paste this somewhere.

It took me a while but I found it. With the draft having just occurred and the ability to sign on July 2nd foreign-born players who live outside the United States other than Canada or Japan, here is how many players can be on each team:

Minor League Rosters

Minor-league rosters consist of an Active List (players currently eligible to play) and a Reserve List (the entire roster). Players may be loaned to other minor league clubs, but they must be returned by September 30. Minor-league clubs may place injured players on the disabled list for 7 or 60 days (the Emergency Disabled List). As with players in the majors, players on the minor-league 60-day disabled list do not count against either roster limit. Age restrictions do not apply to players on rehab assignments.

Reserve List roster limits

38 players for AAA clubs, 37 for AA clubs, 35 for A clubs and below

Active List roster limits

AAA clubs: 24 players.

AA clubs: 24 players (first 30 days of the season), 23 players (day 31 to August 10) and 24 players (August 11 to the end of the season, including the playoffs).

A clubs: 25 players, with no more than two players with more than five years of minor-league service time.

Short-season A clubs: 30 players. No more than 25 players may be used in a single game. As of July 1, the Active List must include at least 10 pitchers. No more than four players may be 23 years old or older. No more than three players may have four or more years of minor-league service time.)

Advanced rookie clubs: 35 players. No more than 30 players may be used in a single game. As of July 1, the Active List must include at least 10 pitchers. No more than 12 players may be 21 years old or older, and no more than two players may be 23 years old or older. No player may have more than two years as a professional, and no player may have three or more years of minor-league service time.

Rookie clubs: 35 players. No more than 30 players may be used in a single game. As of July 1, the Active List must include at least 10 pitchers. No more than 8 players may be 20 years old or older, including two drafted players and four undrafted players who are at least 21 years old. No player may have more than two years of minor-league service time.
    Last edited by Eric_Davis; 06-12-2007 at 04:22 AM.

I remember when we visited the Baseball Hall of Fame a number of years ago, we asked to see the contract card for a friend of ours who played in the minors for the Reds during the 50's. He started with the Class B Sudbury (PA) Redlegs (I'm not certain of the class though) and then had a stint in the Army in Germany and then returned and played with Albuquerqe, but I can't remember which level they were then. He hurt his arm pitching in the cold German weather, so he washed out shortly after returning.

That said, when he looked at the card and saw all the teams his contract had been assigned to, he said "I never played for that club" or some other one. I've been looking at the scrapbook his mother kept then and there are even copies of all of his contracts, etc. Very interesting and I may write an entry sometime about it, but I want to get his okay first.

He was Sandy Koufax's roommate at UC during their southern tour his senior year (Koufax's freshman, and only, year at UC). Koufax mentions him in his biography about the longest home run he ever gave up in a game against XU.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Aren't there also temporary roster exemptions for big-league players on a rehab assignment?

Turn Off Ads?