Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLS Thread

Re: 2013 MLS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Went to the LA Galaxy/Herediano CCL game last night. LA Galaxy are going to be nasty this year. 8 goals at home in 2 games without Donovan. Also if you haven't got a chance to watch Jose Villareal play, he is the real deal. He is 19 and just scored 3 goals for the U-20 team and scored the 2nd goal for LA last night.

I agree about Villareal. They look to be a better team with him in the lineup rather than Stephens. However Keane was annoying with his histrionics, complaining to the ref constantly, waving his arms when he didn't get the ball when he wanted ... even though he made about 10 poor passes himself.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've never understood why it isn't possible to support both. I like soccer and I happen to be a fan of a European team. That hasn't stopped me from being a supporter of an MLS team. In fact, I would say that my support of that European team has increased my support of the MLS team to that point that I would consider soccer my 2nd favorite sport to follow. Going to a Columbus Crew or Portland Timbers game doesn't make you any less of a Real Madrid or Liverpool fan, it is just practical if you live in Portland or Columbus.
    It's not hard to support both. I think most people who follow the MLS follow European and/or Mexican soccer as well. Unfortunately there's a subset of soccer fans in this country that for some reason or another show disdain for the MLS. They complain about quality of play, the summer schedule, and lack of pro/rel, among other things. Well the quality of play has made big advances since the league began in 1996. As far as the other stuff, those are all necessary adjustments to make the MLS viable in the US market. Most of those adjustments, especially those relating to salary structure and expansion requirements, were put in place to avoid the fate of the original NASL. Criticism for such rules is silly. The MLS still plays using the same rules on the field used around the world.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think the bigger issue is the mythical rich guy who buys the Rochester Rhinos or the Toledo Express and turns the team into a powerhouse that gets promoted and stays in the top division -- it does MLS no good to have teams in minor media markets as powerhouses while top media markets get relegated.

As bad as the Houston Astros were last year, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be uproarious laughter in the MLB league office if the suggestion was made that Houston (#5 Metro Area in the US) be relegated to the International League and Pawtuckett (#38 Metro Area in US) replace them.

Alexi Lalas touched on this the other day, and there was a big writeup on ESPN.com about the idea that US Soccer fans need to support MLS (even if it is an inferior product to the EPL) if the sport is ever going to take the next step in America.

That's a stickier issue because Americans, as a whole, gravitate towards superior sports products at the expense of local inferior offerings. It's why football fans in MAC schools stay at home to watch Big 10 games. I don't know how you convince people to change that behavior.
    I agree with you on the problem of a major market team getting relegated. Another problem scenario would be that, say the Rochester team gets promoted and the New York Red Bulls get relegated. What's to stop the Rochester owners from deciding that they want to make more money by moving to New York? While it would make a good business decision for the owners, it would screw the fans in Rochester who supported the team as well as the owners and fans of the Red Bulls who put so much effort into building the sport in the NYC metro area only to have it destroyed with one bad season. The MLS has been about having stable growth of the sport over time, avoiding the chaos that doomed the NASL. Pro/rel is one of those things that would reintroduce chaos and probably do more harm than good at this juncture.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-16-2013)

Getting ready to head to Crew Stadium. Will be nice and liquored up by 530

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    Getting ready to head to Crew Stadium. Will be nice and liquored up by 530
    I'll be watching from home.

I got a call from the Crew yesterday about my ticket buying plans. No sales pressure at all, just friendly banter about soccer and a request that I keep spreading the word about The Crew down here in Cincinnati. The Crew really does care about their fans and they always have. Glad to see the vibe continuing after Lamar's death.

Some guy named Landon Donovan is in the 18 today for the Galaxy vs TFC.

The Crew are really setting the score board on fire.

Wow that must have been pretty crazy.

Some really good games all around the league yesterday. I watched a bit of the Montreal game and really like how they play. Also loved Portland SKC. Was end to end for the first 70 minutes and Portland got the huge win.

The long speculated NYC FC was annouced today being owned by Manchester City and also the Yankees. The Red Bulls have had good, but not spectaular support, but NYC is so big I'm sure they can support two teams.

The long speculated NYC FC was annouced today being owned by Manchester City and also the Yankees. The Red Bulls have had good, but not spectaular support, but NYC is so big I'm sure they can support two teams.
    They should be fine. My concern is how badly the Crew's roster is going to get pillaged in the expansion draft. My biggest beef with the MLS is how teams like Columbus who work hard to build a team through the draft and homegrown players get screwed over while teams like LA, Seattle and NYRB can go out and spend like crazy on Designated Players, magically trade for allocations to get returning USMNT players, and lose no one in expansion drafts. I have a feeling Garber will set up the draft to ensure NYCFC gets plenty of quality MLS players, but only from teams like Columbus and KC, so as to not hurt the "marquee" teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They should be fine. My concern is how badly the Crew's roster is going to get pillaged in the expansion draft. My biggest beef with the MLS is how teams like Columbus who work hard to build a team through the draft and homegrown players get screwed over while teams like LA, Seattle and NYRB can go out and spend like crazy on Designated Players, magically trade for allocations to get returning USMNT players, and lose no one in expansion drafts. I have a feeling Garber will set up the draft to ensure NYCFC gets plenty of quality MLS players, but only from teams like Columbus and KC, so as to not hurt the "marquee" teams.
    I guess. It's been a couple years since the last expansion draft but I don't remember any team getting screwed too bad.

I've got tickets to see the Red Bulls in August, looking forward to seeing my fav all time player in Timmy Cahill and too see what sort of Atmosphere MLS games are like compared to other support around the world. One thing i was surprised at was the Stadium (RB arena) only has a capacity of about 25,000. I would of thought a New York based team (Well Jersey based) would have more supporters than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    I've got tickets to see the Red Bulls in August, looking forward to seeing my fav all time player in Timmy Cahill and too see what sort of Atmosphere MLS games are like compared to other support around the world. One thing i was surprised at was the Stadium (RB arena) only has a capacity of about 25,000. I would of thought a New York based team (Well Jersey based) would have more supporters than that.
    The MLS went in the direction of building smaller, soccer-specific stadiums. The Red Bulls have a really nice facility. They used to play in Giants Stadium (80,000) and it was always looked empty. A lot of soccer fans in the NY area root for teams in other nations. They are going to be adding a new team in NYC which will be owned by the Yankees and Manchester City.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?