Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: VottOBP

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: VottOBP

Votto is one of the hardest workers in the game. He spends hours watching film and has made adjustments his entire career. He's too good of a hitter (trust me, it's a large sample size) to not figure things out sooner rather than later.

What makes Joey better than most is his slumps don't look like everyone else's. He's not flailing away while he tries to find his swing--he's still getting on base at an MVP-like clip. I'll take his slumps over Bruce's every day.

Nothing to worry about.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (04-19-2013),wlf WV (04-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    jredmo2

Some of you need to stop listening to the Brennamans....

Let's compare a slumping Votto to a slumping Josh Hamilton. I'll take the "don't make outs" approach all day, thank you very much.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    Some of you need to stop listening to the Brennamans....

Let's compare a slumping Votto to a slumping Josh Hamilton. I'll take the "don't make outs" approach all day, thank you very much.
    I absolutely hate Marty's "that's not what he's paid to do" spiel. He's paid to help the team win. By any means. Marty is paid to broadcast the game. How about he stick to that? Who cares about his opinion. I'll form my own, thanks. And that opinion is that what Votto is doing is just fine.

6. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (04-19-2013),HeatherC1212 (04-19-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-19-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I absolutely hate Marty's "that's not what he's paid to do" spiel. He's paid to help the team win. By any means. Marty is paid to broadcast the game. How about he stick to that? Who cares about his opinion. I'll form my own, thanks. And that opinion is that what Votto is doing is just fine.
    Did Marty say that?

I know Paul Daugherty did this week, but I missed it if Marty was piling on.

Marty used to say that about Dunn all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Did Marty say that?

I know Paul Daugherty did this week, but I missed it if Marty was piling on.

Marty used to say that about Dunn all the time.
    yea he used those exact words. I know most Reds fans love him but him and his son grate on me when they rant on things like this and Jay Bruce in years past. It's like they take pride in being wrong
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

9. Likes:

Caveman Techie (04-19-2013),mth123 (04-19-2013),Nasty_Boy (04-19-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by panzecaz03 View Post
    Votto is on pace for 243 walks this season. Suppose he 4 AB's a game he would end up with a .375 on base percentage to end the season (not including his hits).

A .375 OBP is around what an avg to slightly above avg player would get and Votto could do that with only his walks
    MLB average OBA last year was .319.

The Runs Created formula likes Joey alot.

He's 6th in the NL with 13.8.

Choo is 3rd with 15.9

I have no issue with what Joey is doing right now....he is not feeling it and he knows way better than we do that he is not hitting his stride right now.....so should he swing for the fences and try to swing his way out of his slump or walk his way out? tough choice but it appears that Joey has decided that getting on base is more important than working out of his slump during games, he will get the kinks worked out during batting practice....cant say I have a problem with that at all......at least he is getting on base for the others to hit him in, he could be sitting on the bench with another out added to the scorebook. keep it up Joey, you will figure it out....

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    He doesn't look right at all.
    I'm no expert, certainly, but it looks like he's dropping his hands too soon as he starts his swing. And he doesn't quite look balanced like he was last year. Remember last year when he wouldn't leave the batters box, just stood there and waited for the next pitch? He was perfectly still, perfectly balanced. I'm wondering if the knee has thrown that off as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    That's great. When the walks stop, it means teams are pitching to him. When they pitch to him, he'll snap out of it.
    Couldn't have said it better... He's pressing a little but swing at balls will make the situation worse. Ride it out... Keep getting on base and eventually he'll start getting (and not missing) the 3-1 fastball. While he may not be driving in runs, the offense has been very good and he's a big reason for that even without the slugging. Once he gets going things will be really fun to watch!

Votto could have one good series and turn his numbers into what people expect. Sounding any alarms at this point is about like changing the annual budget because the first two weeks of the year had slower than expected sales.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    So, let me get this straight. You'd rather him swing at bad pitches, which you say he's already doing, and lower his OBP in the sake of power? (That won't come from swinging at balls out of the strike zone)
    Ideally, I'd like him to start swinging at strikes, which he does at a lower rate than anybody on the team. I'm not really against his approach, but let's not act like its impossible for him to swing more. The idea that Joey is being pitched around is severely exaggerated.

Of course his hands are too low and he isn't as balanced in the box............after 16 games in 2012, .881 OPS, 5 doubles, 1 HR. He had 2 homers in April. For those "concerned," "worried," or "nervous," please do yourself a favor and do not invest in the stock market. You'll lose your tail.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

18. Likes:

Raisor (04-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    To put it politely, Joey needs to go out and enjoy some adult beverages and some female companionship.

The man is wound tighter than a cheap watch.
    Well put.

The Reds face a lefty on Saturday. Unless he breaks out tonight in a big way, I'd say a day off on Saturday to clear the head would be well-advised.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    To put it politely, Joey needs to go out and enjoy some adult beverages and some female companionship.

The man is wound tighter than a cheap watch.
    He already drinks that expensive coffee that teenagers cant afford.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?