Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    A number of big markets teams have a huge need for a 2B. Phillips has enough cache that he can be moved for decent value. Those dollars are what they used to be. Many will see 100 RBI's and GG defence.
    50 million bucks for a guy who makes outs and is aging will be what others will see

2. Likes:

jojo (10-07-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Howie Kendrick was available during this past season, but who knows for next year. Maybe a Bailey swap would interest them.

Dodgers are the team to send him to.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I doubt it.

If BP is available it's because of one thing and one thing only.

This is a conservative ownership group annoyed with BP's behavior, particularly the rant against the beat reporter

It was said Bob C was upset with Dusty's handling of that situation, so it was definitely on ownership's screen.

It's likely nothing to do with Guerrero or OBP or even the contract IMO.
    I don't believe this for one second.

If Billy Hamilton (or any other cheap talent) had done this, would he be on the block? Doubt it. From a payroll standpoint, it makes sense. I can't argue against the fact that he is the least productive "expensive" guy on the club.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (10-07-2013),joshua (10-07-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-14-2013),redsfanmia (10-07-2013),Sea Ray (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

If Billy Hamilton (or any other cheap talent) had done this, would he be on the block? Doubt it. From a payroll standpoint, it makes sense. I can't argue against the fact that he is the least productive "expensive" guy on the club.
    I'd put it this way. If Phillips had not behaved as he did, I don't think he's on the block.

A very young player like Hamilton is teachable.

But it's possible the Reds are just fed up with BP's behavior.

Which is not a personal comment on it, I have less problem with BP. I think he adds fire to the team in some ways. But I do think this ownership may be irritated by him.

Yes, if he had a .900 OPS they might feel differently, true.

I'd put it this way. If Phillips had not behaved as he did, I don't think he's on the block.

Which is not a personal comment on it, I have less problem with BP. I think he adds fire to the team in some ways. But I do think this ownership may be irritated by him.

Yes, if he had a .900 OPS they might feel differently, true
    Fair enough here. But that is a bit different than the "one thing and one thing only" tone of your first post. His performance certainly has some weight on the matter.

10. Likes:

westofyou (10-07-2013)

Sometimes things just don't fit. The Reds are a good defensive team acorss the board, but they're a team that really lacks RHH that are tough outs. I think Phillips still has some value, so if you trade him now you can probbaly deal him without having to take on any of his salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Yankees
    Dodgers
    Braves
    Orioles
    Tigers
    Angels

Phillips to the Tigers for Castellanos, Devin Travis and Corey Knebel

That would be a fair package. LF, Middle infield prospect and a RH power arm for the bullpen.

Sign Alexander Guerrero

Trade Bailey as well, I would ask for Profar straight up.

Resign Choo

2014 lineup:

Choo
    Profar- 2B
    Votto
    Guerrero- 3B
    Bruce
    Castellanos- LF
    Mesoraco
    Cozart

Ludwick
    Frazier
    Hanigan
    Hannahan
    B Hamilton
    Last edited by Red Swagger; 10-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Far from the only reason for dealihng Phillips.

1) He's owed a large salary over the next several years and It would syrprise me to see him in decline over those years. If some one will take him off your hands and give you something useful in return I believe you have to consider it very strongly (wouldn't just give him away though).

2) Its not so much what he's said in the past as what I fear he may say in the future. Brandon has always felt under-appreciated and I'm afraid he may be even more vocalk aboput it - expecially if his skills start to decline. I can see him becoming a devicive force in the clubhouse.

As far as replacing him? I'd make a hard run at the Cuban - Alexander Guerrero - as well as a possible deal (Bailey?) for someone like Profar or Bogaerts and let Guerrero, Cozart, Frazier and Profar/Bogaerts/etc. fight it out for the three infield spots right of Votto.

Makes a lot of sense to just get out from under the contract at this point, and I feel like Brandon has a few good years left in him. But next year could be, to Walt, the biggest transition year in the Reds' near future: an unproven rookie in CF, aging/overpaid guy in LF who is in last year of contract, Arroyo gone, last year for Bailey, what will hopefully be the first year for Chapman as starter, etc. 2015 and beyond, with Stephenson, Latos, Chapman, Cingrani in the rotation, Hamilton with a year under his belt, and a pair of OF studs on the horizon, looks brighter.

With the disappointment of the last 2 seasons and a potentially bum year ahead, now looks like the best time to say goodbye to Brandon and free up some cash. Missing that playoff financial push, along with a somewhat lackluster attendance jump, might mean that ownership is a bit less optimistic about the budget than this time a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    Yankees
    Dodgers
    Braves
    Orioles
    Tigers
    Angels

Phillips to the Tigers for Castellanos, Devin Travis and Corey Knebel

That would be a fair package. LF, Middle infield prospect and a RH power arm for the bullpen.

Sign Alexander Guerrero

Trade Bailey as well, I would ask for Profar straight up.

Resign Choo
    Not a chance in hell the Tigers trade Castellanos in a deal for an overpriced 2B.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

lollipopcurve (10-07-2013),mth123 (10-08-2013),RedlegJake (10-07-2013),Reds&BuckeyeGuy (10-14-2013),RedTeamGo! (10-07-2013)

Yes, if he had a .900 OPS they might feel differently, true.
    BP gave C Trent a rant, but he also called his contract a slap in the face compared to Votto's.

In the first case, he is just calling out a reporter which I think is understandable in a grueling, frustrating season. However, the second case he is calling out management and his own teammates. I can see Bob not liking that at all. Fan favorite or not, you cannot bite the hand that feeds you.

I love BP and would hate to see him go, but if he has caused a rift in the clubhouse and pisse.d Bob off, then hopefully we can get some major league talent for him. I would assume we target one of the losers of the 3 team race for Cano (Dodgers, Yankess, Rangers).
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

18. Likes:

Always Red (10-07-2013),joshua (10-07-2013),lollipopcurve (10-07-2013)

Where would the Rangers play BP? DH Kinsler?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

loved bp at one point in time...now, it's just don't let the door hit ya...

21. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-07-2013),Edd Roush (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Dodgers are the team to send him to.
    And that's where he wants to be based on his "swag" comments.

23. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-07-2013),Spider Tre (10-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?