Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont look now but last years team...

Dont look now but last years team...

Had a better record up to this point last year.

Through 94 games the 2008 Reds were 45-49
    Through 94 games the 2009 Reds are 44-50

I wonder how many people will notice this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dont look now but last years team...

Both teams suck. They just suck in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    Haha, that is the best summary of the Reds I have read yet-- no need for analysis, you nailed it.

There's Cory Patterson, then there's Willie Tavares.

So far in 2009, 171 players have enough plate appearances to qualify for their league's batting title. Willy Taveras has the lowest OPS+ amongst those players with a 55. For those who don't know the stat, a 100 is league average. Next is Emilio Bonifacio of Florida with a 64.

Willy has a pretty good chance to be the first outfielder in history to have a season of 600 plate appearances and an OPS+ less than 60.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    So far in 2009, 171 players have enough plate appearances to qualify for their league's batting title. Willy Taveras has the lowest OPS+ amongst those players with a 55. For those who don't know the stat, a 100 is league average. Next is Emilio Bonifacio of Florida with a 64.

Willy has a pretty good chance to be the first outfielder in history to have a season of 600 plate appearances and an OPS+ less than 60.

I am on the hate Willy charge but crap like this still makes me laugh every time i hear it. So insane that we have to deal with this.

Do you guys think we should just forfeit our games on the west coast and just rest our guys? We might actually get something out of a west coast trip if we do that...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post

Who cares about all that? He's fast!

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Who cares about all that? He's fast!
    Yeah!!! :thumbdown

He's fast, dude. Bigtime.

For the first month and a half of the season Taveras was doing an acceptable job. What happened to Willy since then I have no idea. Let's hope he remembers what he was doing right in the first part of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    For the first month and a half of the season Taveras was doing an acceptable job. What happened to Willy since then I have no idea. Let's hope he remembers what he was doing right in the first part of the season.
    He stop producing way over his head and fell back to his career norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    That's a good line. It got me thinking, so I figured this out. After 94 games the Reds have scored 382 runs and allowed 447. That projects over 162 games to 658 scored and 770 allowed. Last year the Reds scored 704 and allowed 800. So, the team is on pace to score 46 less, but allow 30 fewer.

So, the plan to win with pitching and defense has led to some improvement on the runs allowed side (note: I worry about the more recent trend on that side) but the offense has been miserable and net the Reds project to an even worse run differential (-112 vs. -96) than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Had a better record up to this point last year.

Through 94 games the 2008 Reds were 45-49
    Through 94 games the 2009 Reds are 44-50

I wonder how many people will notice this.
    Thanks to you we have noticed.

I have to admit that the teams record is a big disappointment.I know a lot of you guys didn't see us being a .500 team but I did.I'll give myself credit in knowing that a .500 record could keep us close in the central.With most teams its a modest hope to win as many as you loose but with the Reds I might have had my homer glasses on.It really sucks to look at the standings and see four teams ahead of us struggling to have a winning record and we can't even keep up with that pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It really sucks to look at the standings and see four teams ahead of us struggling to have a winning record and we can't even keep up with that pace.
    We're 3-7 over our last 10, and 3 of the 4 ahead of us are 7-3. They had a 4 game swing over us, and we are only 6 games out. One SMALL hot streak and we're back in the thick of things. We are no means "done" yet.
    Let's make some noise!

Turn Off Ads?