Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

Re: So...is anyone else worried about the Reds?

For those truly "worried", where do you rank the Reds in terms of the other playoff teams, in regards to winning it all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I will chime in that since his return, Joey Votto has not been able to drive the ball at all. He hits what is pitched to him. His eye is still spectacular, but without looking it up, I believe his slugging has gone from the high 600's before the injury to a very pedestrian 300 something after his return.

I'm sure if I see it other team's scouts will see it as well.
    Last edited by dfs; 09-27-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So the sum total of run prevention and run scoring has you worried, just to be clear?
    My statement was this: "But in a short series just be prepared... or worried if you so choose. "

So to answer your question I'm prepared to lose three straight to any NL team if our offense stuggles against better than average pitching. Wily Peralta is pitching a 2 hit shut out against us right now. We are struggling more than not.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

They are playing games that amount to little more that glorified spring training games. I don't have much of an issue with the way they are playing right now. It would be nice to see them tearing the cover off the ball, but I want that to happen in Oct instead of now.

This team can only stay hot on offense for so long, I have no problem if they save it up for October.

I tend to make it a point not to worry about things out of my control but I understand although anything can happen in the post season, the Reds are anything but a hot team going into this. I have no expectations but I'm hoping for the best. The only thing that'd really bother me is if the Cardinals knocked 'em out

Not overly worried about the team, more worried about who we play in the first round. I'd prefer Atlanta, but we could get San Francisco or even St. Louis.

I feel a lot better this year than I did in 2010 about the Reds chances. In 2010, the Reds may have been the 4th best team in the NL or at best, the 3rd best. They certainly weren't 1st or 2nd best. This year, I feel safe in saying they are 1st or 2nd. It's a much more balanced team with the pitching and bullpen. I think they can hang with any team in the NL and I even like their chances against the AL playoff teams too, especially in a 7 game series.

I'm worried. Where's the offense?

It's not like they're going to get dominated by Wily Peralta then all of a sudden flip a light switch and start raking the likes of Cain, Bumgarner, Wainwright, Gonzalez, etc.

And Joey Votto isn't the same hitter he was pre-injury. Still awfully good, yes, but not the terrifying presence he was. I'm not sure we'll see that Votto until April vs. the Angels.

The offense is mediocre and capable of being completely shut down in a best of five. It's too bad, because with this pitching staff they don't need a great offense -- just a good one -- to rival any team as favorites to win it all. Right now, the offense makes them long shots, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I'm worried. Where's the offense?

It's not like they're going to get dominated by Wily Peralta then all of a sudden flip a light switch and start raking the likes of Cain, Bumgarner, Wainwright, Gonzalez, etc.
    Wholeheartedly agree.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

But if they reel off 3-4 games of 5+ runs to end the season all of these struggles are forgotten. I'd be more worried if the playoffs started tomorrow.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'd be more worried if the playoffs started tomorrow.
    The lackluster hitting has been a pattern. An outburst in St. Louis would seem more like an aberration at this point.

Gonna be hard for them to get through multiple rounds of postseason play, IMO. But anything can happen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The lackluster hitting has been a pattern. An outburst in St. Louis would seem more like an aberration at this point.
    They were tearing the cover off the ball June-August, and now they are dormant in September. They're not as high as their peaks, or as low as their valleys.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For those truly "worried", where do you rank the Reds in terms of the other playoff teams, in regards to winning it all.
    The way it stands now:

Texas
    Washington
    Cincinnati
    New York
    San Francisco
    Detroit
    St. Louis
    Atlanta
    Oakland
    Baltimore
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    But if they reel off 3-4 games of 5+ runs to end the season all of these struggles are forgotten. I'd be more worried if the playoffs started tomorrow.
    Do that to start the postseason and yes, the struggles are forgotten.

Turn Off Ads?