Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim

Re: Skyrim

I got both the strategy guide and Skyrim for Christmas-looks to be a fairly deep game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Very deep game. The strategy guide is good if you are trying to start a quest or stuck, but in order to avoid spoilers I wouldn't use it until your second play through.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Very deep game. The strategy guide is good if you are trying to start a quest or stuck, but in order to avoid spoilers I wouldn't use it until your second play through.
    gahh... I'm still trying to get through my first play through.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Trying to invest in shops around Skyrim. Anybody know how to do this? I am having no luck.
    You need to have the "Investor" perk on the "Speech" skill tree.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    You need to have the "Investor" perk on the "Speech" skill tree.
    And then the first shop you want to invest in is the Riverwood Trader.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Anyone having trouble with lag?

The game is getting bashed on Meticritic by user reviews. Mostly 10's and 9's for a few weeks after the release and now just a bunch of 0's. Even the overall review score has changed. I noticed a few weeks ago the PS3 version was at 95, with 25 reviews, and now it's at 92, with only 12 or so reviews. It appears some sites/mags have pulled their reviews because of the lag issue.

I have a newer PS3 and am at level 35. I've noticed some issues with lag and some glitches, but I've been able to overcome the lag somewhat by occasionally just re-booting the PS3. Also, I don't know if this helps, but I don't create a new file every time I save (which is often). I just overwrite the previously saved file.

The lag is worse in the open world when a lot is going on (fighting a dragon and multiple enemies, etc.), but I've had no issues in any dungeon.

I have cleared everything in the main quest except taking out Alduin. I have the dragon caught that will take me to Alduin, but in the meantime, I'm trying to clear every dungeon and side quest. When I level up I mainly focus on perking what I use the most: lock picking, sneak, 2 and 1 handed combat, archery, etc. I rarely use any magic except the occasional dragon shout and restoration. I just skip any alchemy tables and magic perks, even though I have completed the college of Winterhold quests and have become the arch-mage there. I'm not sure what that makes me, but someone at the office gave me a label based on my playing personality that I described. I just can't remember right now what it was.

Basically, I'm just a sneaky thug.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 12-27-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

The game is getting bashed on Meticritic by user's reviews. Mostly 10's and 9's for a few weeks after the release and now just a bunch of 0's. Even the overall review score has changed. I noticed a few weeks ago the PS3 version was at 95, with 25 reviews, and now it's at 92, with only 12 or so reviews. It appears some sites/mags have pulled their reviews because of the lag issue.

I have a newer PS3 and am at level 35. I've noticed some issues with lag and some glitches, but I've been able to overcome the lag somewhat by occasionally just re-booting the PS3. Also, I don't if this helps, but I don't create a new file every time I save (which is often). I just overwrite the previously saved file.

The lag is worse in the open world when a lot is going on (fighting a dragon and multiple enemies, etc.), but I've had no issues in any dungeon.

I have cleared everything in the main quest except taking out Alduin. I have the dragon caught that will take me to Alduin, but in the meantime, I'm trying to clear every dungeon and side quest. When I level up I mainly focus on perking what I use the most: lock picking, sneak, 2 and 1 handed combat, archery, etc. I rarely use any magic except the occasional dragon shout and restoration. I just skip any alchemy and magic perks, even though I have completed the college of Winterhold quests and have becoem the arch-mage there. I'm not sure what that makes me, but someone at the office gave me a label based on my playing personality that I described. I just can't remember right now what it was.

I have had a few issues with lag on the PS3. Not nearly as bad as what I've seen reported.

I would save at least 3-4 save files, and just replace the oldest one when you save. Sometimes you can run into a quest bug that makes a quest unplayable, and going back just to your latest save won't fix it. If you have 3-4 saves, it's more likely you will be able to go back to a time when the bug doesn't happen.

All in all, I have enjoyed this game a lot.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I have had a few issues with lag on the PS3. Not nearly as bad as what I've seen reported.

I would save at least 3-4 save files, and just replace the oldest one when you save. Sometimes you can run into a quest bug that makes a quest unplayable, and going back just to your latest save won't fix it. If you have 3-4 saves, it's more likely you will be able to go back to a time when the bug doesn't happen.

All in all, I have enjoyed this game a lot.
    Good idea on the 3-4 save files. Yep, this is probably the best PS3 game I have ever played. I loved the Bioshock, Resistance, Portal, and Uncharted series, but this one blows them all away. I'm thinking once I've done everything I can do in this game I'll need to go out and pick up Oblivion.

I can't believe how many people are into this game. We'll be talking about it around the water cooler and someone will walk up and tell us how deep they are into it. Several more have heard us talking about it and then went out and got it and have also become addicted.

I read somewhere that it starts to lag when you save big files, so the farther along you go in the game, the more laggy it will get. One way possibly to help in this issue is cleaning up some of the files in the PS3 from other games. I'm not a PS3 expert nor a computer expert so I might be way off based.

This issue right here is one of the reasons why I always buy games like this for the PC. The PC has the ability to store massive amounts of information. While the PS3 does have a great memory core, it still doesn't match that of a PC. I mainly use my PS3 for sporting games and use my PC for RPG's like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.

The game is getting bashed on Meticritic by user reviews. Mostly 10's and 9's for a few weeks after the release and now just a bunch of 0's. Even the overall review score has changed. I noticed a few weeks ago the PS3 version was at 95, with 25 reviews, and now it's at 92, with only 12 or so reviews. It appears some sites/mags have pulled their reviews because of the lag issue.

I have a newer PS3 and am at level 35. I've noticed some issues with lag and some glitches, but I've been able to overcome the lag somewhat by occasionally just re-booting the PS3. Also, I don't know if this helps, but I don't create a new file every time I save (which is often). I just overwrite the previously saved file.

I have cleared everything in the main quest except taking out Alduin. I have the dragon caught that will take me to Alduin, but in the meantime, I'm trying to clear every dungeon and side quest. When I level up I mainly focus on perking what I use the most: lock picking, sneak, 2 and 1 handed combat, archery, etc. I rarely use any magic except the occasional dragon shout and restoration. I just skip any alchemy tables and magic perks, even though I have completed the college of Winterhold quests and have become the arch-mage there. I'm not sure what that makes me, but someone at the office gave me a label based on my playing personality that I described. I just can't remember right now what it was.

Yeah I have had some issues with lag and even freezing up. It's so dang annoying. Once you get over so many MB (6-8 ish) I think it's a constant hassle so I have actually went to disabling alot of the auto saving. Still hasn't stopped it but I think it's helped marginally. But it's a bit risky.

Sounds like we are comparable characters. Sneaky Thug or maybe Rogue Good guy who does what he has to do (sometimes even bad things) to help the greater good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Good idea on the 3-4 save files. Yep, this is probably the best PS3 game I have ever played. I loved the Bioshock, Resistance, Portal, and Uncharted series, but this one blows them all away. I'm thinking once I've done everything I can do in this game I'll need to go out and pick up Oblivion.

I can't believe how many people are into this game. We'll be talking about it around the water cooler and someone will walk up and tell us how deep they are into it. Several more have heard us talking about it and then went out and got it and have also become addicted.
    Have always done this hasn't helped me. In fact I went to keeping only my last save and the 1st save (for my character creation). Supposed to have had a patch fix this issue recently but there was an update about a week or 2 ago and didn't help as far as I can tell.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

This is Bethesda's official Skyrim tech support forum for the PS3:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/182-playstation-3/

There's a lot of noise, but you can find the info you need on any tech issue.

This gist on the lag issue is that the game, when it came out, had a huge lag on the PS3. They released a patch in late November that was supposed to fix that issue. They say it did fix it for some people, but some posters there say the problem was worse than before. Unfortunately, the new patch introduced some new bugs into the game, including "backwards flying dragons" and it ruined magic resistance for some people. The last patch they released (1.3) was mostly designed only to correct the problems introduced by the previous patch. Bethesda now says they will introduce a new patch "sometime in January" that will hopefully resolve the PS3 lag issues.

Based on what I've read on that board, it does seem that the problem is related to the size of your save file. There are some tips there on how to lessen issues:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/130...3-tips-to-try/

The best tips seem to be to turn off all auto-saves, clear space on your PS3, and if you are really having problems to try waiting somewhere for 30 days (which apparently will reset several things in the game and free up memory, or something).
    Last edited by top6; 12-28-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    This is Bethesda's official Skyrim tech support forum for the PS3:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/forum/182-playstation-3/

There's a lot of noise, but you can find the info you need on any tech issue.

This gist on the lag issue is that the game, when it came out, had a huge lag on the PS3. They released a patch in late November that was supposed to fix that issue. They say it did fix it for some people, but some posters there say the problem was worse than before. Unfortunately, the new patch introduced some new bugs into the game, including "backwards flying dragons" and it ruined magic resistance for some people. The last patch they released (1.3) was mostly designed only to correct the problems introduced by the previous patch. Bethesda now says they will introduce a new patch "sometime in January" that will hopefully resolve the PS3 lag issues.

Based on what I've read on that board, it does seem that the problem is related to the size of your save file. There are some tips there on how to lessen issues:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/130...3-tips-to-try/

The best tips seem to be to turn off all auto-saves, clear space on your PS3, and if you are really having problems to try waiting somewhere for 30 days (which apparently will reset several things in the game and free up memory, or something).
    Geez, waiting for 30 days? That's odd, but I may try it.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I read somewhere that it starts to lag when you save big files, so the farther along you go in the game, the more laggy it will get. One way possibly to help in this issue is cleaning up some of the files in the PS3 from other games. I'm not a PS3 expert nor a computer expert so I might be way off based.

This issue right here is one of the reasons why I always buy games like this for the PC. The PC has the ability to store massive amounts of information. While the PS3 does have a great memory core, it still doesn't match that of a PC. I mainly use my PS3 for sporting games and use my PC for RPG's like Skyrim, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age.
    The exact same thing happened with Fallout 3. As you got further in the game and the save files got bigger, the lag got bad. Unfortunately there's no great workaround I'm aware of. Best thing I've found is to make sure my PS3 is clean and well ventilated.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm on PS3 and I only have lag issues if I've been playing for a while and haven't saved. Then I just save, turn off the console, turn it back on, and restart the game. Then it will be fine again for a couple hours.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?