Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: World Series Game 2 Thread

Re: World Series Game 2 Thread

It SHOULD go without saying that this is an absolute must-win for Detroit going into St. Louis against Carpenter and the almighty Suppan.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jones sucks. I hate that managers feel they HAVE to put their "closer" in.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Or maybe not.

Rogers...... He is the LEADER of the Tigers!!!
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Todd Jones. If I'm Leyland, that SOB doesn't pick up a ball for the rest of the Series.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Jones sucks. I hate that managers feel they HAVE to put their "closer" in.
    I was typing the samething when the 3rd out was recorded. They would of stoned Leyland after the game if they would of lost, especially after pitching to Sir Aldork last night.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Rogers...... He is the LEADER of the Tigers!!!
    Who is our leader?

Ah-aight. Night y'all. Too blessed to be stressed and all that.

Beautifully, beautifully done by Rogers. I makes me happy to see a semi-old guy pull that off when it counts.

Why Is Kenny Rogers Sexy? update for anyone who cares: when I saw him screaming in the dugout, I realized what I think it is: if I had a problem with the kitchen sink, i'm pretty sure Kenny Rogers could just yell it into submission. Maybe pick up a c-wrench and shake it or something, but that's it.

When they interviewed him, though, I was reminded of something that I think every time I hear him speak: I'm pretty sure Kenny Rogers is on drugs. Not steroids, just, like, normal-people drugs. Not that this would hamper any relationship built around the working status of a kitchen sink.

I should really get some sleep too.

And Eric Byrnes is DEFINITELY on speed.

and the ESPN conspiracy theories are out of whack right now.

sheesh.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    and the ESPN conspiracy theories are out of whack right now.

sheesh.
    What are they saying?

There was a "foreign substance" on Kenny's hand - potentially pine-tar could have been dirt, who knows.

ESPN, who ironically has no glass in their house, is whining that Rogers should have been tossed - but he wasn't - since LaRussa didn't ask for a checkup.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    As long as it is not making the ball move the umps are not going to do anything other make him remove it. Grip... it helps the grip on the ball. It was noticed and removed. Not really a major thing. Do they have the right to eject him? Yes... they can eject you for about anything. But why have an effect on the World Championship by tossing a starter early in a game for trying to help his grip in cold weather which causes dry hands? Sand paper, oil, vaseline... definitely eject. Pine Tar... I agree with the umpires call: Remove and play on.

Heck, it is better than prolonging the game by licking his hand off the mound between every pitch... which is very legal and more-or-less has the same effect.
    Yea, none of the foreign substance rubbed the ball. LOL Get Real! It helps the grip on the ball? LOL and you have posted this much in this forum? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It was illegal and baseball will cover this up once again, i say this every time something comes up because of the way they treat certain players and BAN them for other things. This is BS! The rule states you CAN NOT, now pay attention here, YOU CAN NOT HAVE ANY FOREIGN SUBSTANCE....

The pitcher shall not --
    (a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand. PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
    (2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
    (3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
    (4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
    (5) deface the ball in any manner; or
    (6) deliver a ball defaced in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.
    PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6):
    (a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.

(b) Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Todd Jones. If I'm Leyland, that SOB doesn't pick up a ball for the rest of the Series.
    Todd Jones is one of the guys that helped get them there.

In this post-season, he has recorded 4 out of 4 save opportunities without giving up a single ER.

During the regular season he appeared in 62 games and recorded 37 saves with a respectable 3.94 ERA.

.276 BAA .312 OB% .382 SLG% .694 OPS
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?