Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bronson: should he be signed to a long term contract?

Re: Bronson: should he be signed to a long term contract?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That option escalates to $13 Million based on IP. Considering that he goes deep in games and never misses a start, he'll be a $13 Million guy next year.

Bringing Arroyo back should be the minimum that they do for 2011. I'd rather they pass and use the money for the TOR.
    Its tough to pay a $2M buyout. Its also tough to pay a solid to good pitcher $13M. Thats a TOR salary & Bronson isn't close to that.
    However, the $2M is a sunk cost. Would I pay Bronson $11M for 2011 or would i let him go & put the money to work elsewhere? I say wait & see how Volquez, Bailey & Chapman do for the rest of 2010 before making that decision.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I don't like paying Bronson 13 million for a minimum upgrade over league minimum players in house already. Decline the option and attempt to resign him cheaply. If not you now have 13m to put towards upgrading the club in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I don't like paying Bronson 13 million for a minimum upgrade over league minimum players in house already. Decline the option and attempt to resign him cheaply. If not you now have 13m to put towards upgrading the club in other places.
    Arroyo has already made it clear that he won't stay for a discount because he got burned by Boston. If you decline his option, he's walking.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd offer him arbitration, let him decline and move on, then take the picks. (at least I think that's how it works).

I like Bronson, but we're fighting for rotation spots as it is already, no need to do that AND fork over a ton of loot we need to sign the kids.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Arroyo has already made it clear that he won't stay for a discount because he got burned by Boston. If you decline his option, he's walking.
    I'm completely fine with that. If he is resigned him and Cordero will be 25M of the team payroll. You still have to factor in raises for Votto, BP, Vueto, Volquez, etc etc. I would rather see that bit of money going to a LTC for Votto if nothing else.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd offer him arbitration, let him decline and move on, then take the picks. (at least I think that's how it works).

I like Bronson, but we're fighting for rotation spots as it is already, no need to do that AND fork over a ton of loot we need to sign the kids.
    I think there's a team option for next year. $13mm if the Reds offer, $2mm buyout.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Or, you pay him $2M to decline his option, offer him arbitration, have him accept, and likely pay him more in total than the $13M you decline (after accounting for the option buyout).

Offering him arbitration is suicide.

Yeah, there's no way he'd earn a pay cut in arbitration. If you want him for next year, pick up the option. If you want him behind that, wait until next year to decide.

Turn Off Ads?