Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Re: Incredible ugliness at Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This is one of the better editorials on the situation I've read so far. Puts things about as clearly as they can be put.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...uth-penn-state
    http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/1...pendables#more

That one was good, but I think this one was better.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This is one of the better editorials on the situation I've read so far. Puts things about as clearly as they can be put.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...uth-penn-state
    There will now be a decade or more of criminal trials, and perhaps a quarter-century or more of civil actions, as a result of what went on at Penn State. These things cannot be prayed away. Let us hear nothing about "closure" or about "moving on." And God help us, let us not hear a single mumbling word about how football can help the university "heal." (Lord, let the Alamo Bowl be an instrument of your peace.) This wound should be left open and gaping and raw until the very last of the children that Jerry Sandusky is accused of raping somehow gets whatever modicum of peace and retribution can possibly be granted to him. This wound should be left open and gaping and raw in the bright sunlight where everybody can see it, for years and years and years, until the raped children themselves decide that justice has been done. When they're done healing — if they're ever done healing — then they and their families can give Penn State permission to start.

If that blights Joe Paterno's declining years, that's too bad. If that takes a chunk out of the endowment, hold a damn bake sale. If that means that Penn State spends some time being known as the university where a child got raped, that's what happens when you're a university where a child got raped. Any sympathy for this institution went down the drain in the shower room in the Lasch Building. There's nothing that can happen to the university, or to the people sunk up to their eyeballs in this incredible moral quagmire, that's worse than what happened to the children who got raped at Penn State. Good Lord, people, get up off your knees and get over yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There will now be a decade or more of criminal trials, and perhaps a quarter-century or more of civil actions, as a result of what went on at Penn State. These things cannot be prayed away. Let us hear nothing about "closure" or about "moving on." And God help us, let us not hear a single mumbling word about how football can help the university "heal." (Lord, let the Alamo Bowl be an instrument of your peace.) This wound should be left open and gaping and raw until the very last of the children that Jerry Sandusky is accused of raping somehow gets whatever modicum of peace and retribution can possibly be granted to him. This wound should be left open and gaping and raw in the bright sunlight where everybody can see it, for years and years and years, until the raped children themselves decide that justice has been done. When they're done healing — if they're ever done healing — then they and their families can give Penn State permission to start.

If that blights Joe Paterno's declining years, that's too bad. If that takes a chunk out of the endowment, hold a damn bake sale. If that means that Penn State spends some time being known as the university where a child got raped, that's what happens when you're a university where a child got raped. Any sympathy for this institution went down the drain in the shower room in the Lasch Building. There's nothing that can happen to the university, or to the people sunk up to their eyeballs in this incredible moral quagmire, that's worse than what happened to the children who got raped at Penn State. Good Lord, people, get up off your knees and get over yourselves.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

https://twitter.com/#!/PeterAlexander

PeterAlexander Peter Alexander
    #BREAKING (1) #Sandusky witness, McQueary email to fmr. teammates: "I did the right thing…you guys know me…" #PennState

#BREAKING (2) McQueary: "... the truth is not out there fully... I didn't just turn and run... I made sure it stopped..."

#BREAKING (3) McQueary: "... I had to make quick tough decisions…" #PennState @NBCNews #Exclusive
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm not sure who is giving Sandusky legal advice, but it's being reported that he will be interviewed by Bob Costas tonight on Rock Center at 10 PM to answer the allegations against him.

https://twitter.com/#!/RockCenterNBC

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/1...pendables#more

That one was good, but I think this one was better.
    Yes, that was a great read. Thanks.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Those were the exact two passages from the article that stuck out to me as well.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Oh really, McQueary? Well how about the identity of that that child who was being raped? Yeah, we still don't know who it was because you took care of everything by letting the football coach know about it the next day.

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/...1/living-a-lie

This quote is another one that really hits the nail on the head.

In any event Paterno did acknowledge in his grand jury testimony that he’s known since at least 2002 that Sandusky was a child molester, although incredibly enough now he’s even trying to walk back that admission. He testified that Mike McQueary told him he had seen Sandusky “fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy” in the PSU football locker room showers (McQueary testified that he saw Sandusky anally raping the child). Now in his statement Paterno is trying to get people to believe that he was told that his 58-year-old lifelong friend and co-worker was doing something “inappropriate” to a ten-year-old boy in a shower, but that he had no idea it was anything all that bad: certainly not bad enough to cause Paterno — by far the most powerful person in the PSU AD and arguably the most powerful person on campus — to wonder why the only thing that happened to Sandusky was that he was told not to bring the kids he was raping into the locker room any more (Sandusky retained all his access privileges to the campus until yesterday, and indeed was running football camps for young boys on Joe Paterno’s hallowed football field until two years ago).

Another interesting quote from the last link. I didn't realize some of this:

This disgusting and horrifying spectacle is among many other things a cautionary tale about what can happen to someone when you indulge his selfishness and egomania to the extent that PSU in particular and the national sports media in general have indulged Paterno’s over the past few years. For quite some time now, Paterno hasn’t even pretended to perform many of the tasks any other head coach at a major college football program is expected to do. He hasn’t gone on a recruiting visit in nearly five years, and his season he’s spent most games high up in the press box rather than on the sidelines, while not even being in electronic contact with his staff, who are making all the in-game decisions that a head coach normally makes. He is in terms of actually doing his job a pathetic figurehead, performing it in name only, so that he can continue to pile up whatever “records” the media credit him with.

I'm not sure who is giving Sandusky legal advice, but it's being reported that he will be interviewed by Bob Costas tonight on Rock Center at 10 PM to answer the allegations against him.

https://twitter.com/#!/RockCenterNBC
    If he goes through with it he's a bigger idiot than I thought. Nothing good can come from him saying ANYTHING at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

What happens if Sandusky lawyers up ala Michael Jackson and gets aquitted of these charges? That'd mean all this hoopla was ultimately about a guy who was not even found guilty of the things written about him. Penn State officials could argue that they didn't report it because they lacked evidence that a crime was commited and finally no one can say that Joe Paterno's handling of it led to more kids getting abused.

Admittedly this is all hypothetical but it could happen.

I can sum this up in one word.

Disgusting.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    If he goes through with it he's a bigger idiot than I thought. Nothing good can come from him saying ANYTHING at this point.
    I agree, and no lawyer worth his salt would let him say anything right now.

Turn Off Ads?