Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Dusty Baker Contract Extension Thread

The Official Dusty Baker Contract Extension Thread

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Baker to sign multi-year extension

Wow. I didn't think there was a chance of them doing this prior to the off season.

Good move though IMO. Despite all the Dusty-bashing that goes on here (and elsewhere), I think he's done a very nice job in his tenure.

Re: Baker to sign multi-year extension

I am going to sticky this "rumor" based on the knowings of Hal McCoy.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: Hal McCoy - Baker to sign multi-year extension

I'm slowly coming around to the idea that the on-field part of the manager's influence is smaller than I've given it credit for in the past. Baker is and will continue to be a poor tactician, but you can't argue that guys love to play for him, that he's handled our young players well, and that he's gotten good performances from the team.

He's always going to drive me nuts with silly lineups, 1-run strategies, odd bullpen management, references to how the game was played in his day, and botched double switches, but I think I might be able to live with the guy. That's not easy for me to say consider how vociferously I reacted to his hiring. I guess winning will do weird things to you.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Nice scoop by Hal if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Well deserved.

It's a performance-based business.

Not surprising. Good for Dusty, and probably good for the Reds too based on the current make up of the team.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm slowly coming around to the idea that the on-field part of the manager's influence is smaller than I've given it credit for in the past. Baker is and will continue to be a poor tactician, but you can't argue that guys love to play for him, that he's handled our young players well, and that he's gotten good performances from the team.

He's always going to drive me nuts with silly lineups, 1-run strategies, odd bullpen management, references to how the game was played in his day and botched double switches, but I think I might be able to live with the guy. That's not easy for me to say consider how vociferously I reacted to his hiring. I guess winning will do weird things to you.
    It's about what I expected and I think it will be a good move. I think the game draws significant intricacies that go beyond only the stats and it's why we have this back and forth here. Someone like me who at times seems dismissive of Sabermetrics can't dismiss that there is value in the tool. Equally, there remains some sort of unmeasurable something that seems to help some teams be successful.

I've liked Baker pretty much from the start, even with some of his constantly same remarks. E.g. Hank Aaron. It reminds me of the schtick that Gary Burbank, the WLW radio guy (for out-of-towners) who would yammer on about getting picked up by Elvis while hitch-hiking in his hometown of Memphis and meeting Ann Margaret, etc. His crew would go into their manta, "Boring...".

But I like what Dusty's done a lot and and elated that after all these years, we'll have some longevity in the manager's seat.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Is Hal guessing a little here?

It was well deserved and makes sense. You don't make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and then go and find a new manager. Dusty is well compensated and I this playoff run has been fun for all the fans involved.

I hope it is only a 2 year contract. If the Reds continue to win I want Dusty at the helm during those years. However I just don't want to see an albatross of a contract that makes the Reds stagnant. Nothing is worse than seeing a team tank it but ownership sitting on its hands because the manager has a 3-4 year contract.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I am pleased and I agree that 2 years would be better than 3 or more.

The tip-off for me that the team and Dusty were close to an agreement came during a quick post-game interview Tuesday night. Dusty said how much he 'loves this team and loves Cincinnati'. In other words, 'I'm stayin'.

this won't be popular, but ...sigh...

Not in love with the guy but I have no issue with this. You gotta keep him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not in love with the guy but I have no issue with this. You gotta keep him at this point.
    Yeah, I mean how do you NOT keep a manager that helps lead the team to its first playoff berth in 15 years? I'm in favor of it, even though I was not happy when Dusty was hired.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    this won't be popular, but ...sigh...
    Maybe it won't be popular to you elite fans, but overall this will be very well received.
    Last edited by kaldaniels; 09-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?