Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Attendance

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

2012 Attendance

A year ago, the Reds had 2,213,588 show up at the old ball yard to finish 10th in the NL in attendance. After one series, the Reds are off to a pretty good start; the first series saw the Redlegs draw 108,517. The big question will come this week, can the Reds draw north of 85K against the defending World Series Champions in a mid-week series? Time will tell, I'm making the 4.5 hr trip to attend game one tomorrow so, I'm doing my part.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: 2012 Attendance

I hope so, I too am making my way back home to attend a game.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I just got home from the weekend series. Went Saturday and Sunday with 7 of my buddies and had a great time. Especially today.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I went with family today, will probably be back Wed.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

I went to Opening Day and Opening Night. I'm hoping to get back out there for another game soon. I live 3 1/2 to 4 hours away but usually attend around 10 games a year. Hopefully I can catch more than that this year.

It definitely was a good start but it was just that, a start.

Before the season, the Reds needed to average 30,864 to get to $2.5 Million. With the big start, they need to average 30,660 to reach that mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

We got home today, we went to the Saturday night game. It was great to see the park full and the fans having a great time even though the Reds were losing. I hope people keep coming out and supporting them. BTW, Votto's homer Saturday went just over our heads, landed a few rows behind us, my little girls were freaking out!

We have a 3 1/2 hour drive to get there, and we get to about 10 games a year. I'm thinking hard about taking off Wednesday and going to the game!
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

I went to Opening Night and am buying a 20 game season ticket plan tomorrow. I previously had season tickets but was unable to renew due to uncertainty surrounding my wife's health. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to buy a plan again for many reasons. I usually attend 30-40 games a year so a season ticket plan is a must for my wallet.

This is certainly a small sample size, but I have never seen the board in such a ticket-buying "frenzy". Thats a great thing!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I went to Opening Day and Opening Night. I'm hoping to get back out there for another game soon. I live 3 1/2 to 4 hours away but usually attend around 10 games a year. Hopefully I can catch more than that this year.
    I went to both as well. They need to build on the banks atmosphere and do the block party before every weekend game.

Great time and going to be a great reds season.

I know it didn't count but the exhibition game against the prospects was a game where they charged for tickets and people bought concessions. It's a nice bonus. It isn't going to make a huge difference but it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I was at Opening Night and it was exciting to see the park sold out for the second game of the season, in seasons past the second game would see a huge drop-off.

Last year I went to around 6 or 7 games, I think. I started off on pace to go to around 20, but my summer job working swing shift nixed that. I'm hoping to get to no less than 10 games this year, hopefully 15 or more.

The funds weren't there this year due to me being a broke grad student, but I'm entering the workforce here in about a month - so I'm planning to buy a Power Pack next season. You just can't beat the deal you get with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Today's large crowd of 23,539 shocked me since Easter Sunday is typically the lowest-attended Sunday game (if it falls during the season) at all MLB parks.

Historical Reds Attendance on Easter Sunday at Great American Ball Park:
    Sunday, April 11, 2004 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 16,925
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 14,001
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 - Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati - 12,876
    Sunday, April 8, 2012 - Miami @ Cincinnati - 23,539

The Reds had considerably more fans than a number of teams today.

Attendance at select parks on Easter 2012:
    Cleveland - 10,518
    Houston - 14,195
    Baltimore - 14,738
    San Diego - 19,021
    Pittsburgh - 19,856
    Cincinnati - 23,539

This is added to the fact that the Reds opened the season with back-to-back sell-outs for the first time in club history.
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 - 42,956 (largest regular season crowd in GABP history)
    Saturday, April 7, 2012 - 41,662

I would guess that this upcoming weekday series with the Cardinals should draw an average of about 18,000 per game since the first weekday series of the year is typically not attended very well.

Very encouraging numbers. Thanks for posting, jhc.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    In seasons past the second game would see a huge drop-off.
    It does help that the second game of the season is on a Saturday instead of a Wednesday as it was for many years.

A bunch of teams experienced very low attendance numbers on Saturday while the Reds enjoyed a sell-out crowd! Cleveland has had a terrible attendance start to the season.

Attendance at select parks on Saturday, April 7, 2012:
    Oakland - 16,612
    Cleveland - 18,842
    Houston - 23,962
    Baltimore - 31,532
    San Diego - 31,909
    Tampa Bay - 34,078
    Arizona - 34,789
    Pittsburgh - 38,885
    New York Mets - 39,526
    Los Angeles Angels - 40,022
    Chicago Cubs - 40,102