Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USC to start first true freshman.

USC to start first true freshman.

Ohio State and company must be licking their chops at the thought of this.

Freshman Barkley named USC's starting QB
    By GREG BEACHAM (AP) – 2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — Freshman Matt Barkley was named No. 4 Southern California's starting quarterback on Thursday.

With an outstanding performance at training camp, Barkley beat out sophomore Aaron Corp to get the start in the Trojans' season opener against San Jose State at the Coliseum on Sept. 5. Coach Pete Carroll unexpectedly announced his decision several hours before practice and two days before USC's mock game.

"He has exceeded all our expectations," Carroll said in a statement. "He has all the physical ability. He has the mentality and temperament to handle the position. His personality is very well received by all the players, and he's extremely talented. At this point, he's ready to be the guy for us."

Barkley was perhaps the nation's most sought-after football recruit last year at Orange County's Mater Dei High School, the alma mater of fellow USC quarterback Matt Leinart. After choosing the Trojans, Barkley graduated from high school one semester early to participate in spring practice.

Corp, in his third year at USC, was named the Trojans' starter out of spring ball, but Barkley took advantage when Corp missed two weeks of workouts this month after breaking a small bone below his left knee Aug. 10.

Barkley is thought to be the first non-redshirt freshman quarterback to be picked to start a season opener for the Trojans.

"He's the starting quarterback at USC — it's not a one-game deal," Carroll said. "He seized the opportunity that was in front of him and took control. He deserves all the credit in the world, and we expect nothing but great things from him."

Barkley also beat out Mitch Mustain, the former Arkansas starter who played eight games as Mark Sanchez's backup last season. Sanchez, now the New York Jets' starting quarterback, left USC with a year of eligibility remaining, a decision that initially bothered Carroll and set off the three-way competition.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: USC to start first true freshman.

Barkley is a big time talent. If Pete Carroll is willing to hand the keys to the kingdom to him, he must be ready.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Barkley is a big time talent. If Pete Carroll is willing to hand the keys to the kingdom to him, he must be ready.
    Either that or he is willing to have some growing pains this year.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

That's about the way I feel, and as somewhat of a closet USC fan, I am hoping he is successful.

That being said, I would hate to be in his shoes when he walks into Ohio Stadium on gameday.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

We'll see who starts for USC on Week 2.

Week 1 is just an extended dress rehearsal against San Jose St.

You'll probably see all 3 QBs get plenty of time vs. San Jose St.

We'll see how this plays out of course, but I don't view this as a good thing for USC. He is going to make mistakes and against good teams like OSU, Cal and Oregon that is going to make it much harder to win. If he starts the entire season I think they probably lose 1 of those 3 and possibly 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carson Palmer the last USC QB to start as a true freshman?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carson Palmer the last USC QB to start as a true freshman?
    Palmer didn't begin the season, but he did start like nine games into the season. He really didn't take off until Norm Chow came to LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I think they're counting game 1 to open the season.

Carson was at USC forever. I can't recall if he was a true frosh or a redshirt frosh. I do remember him being an average qb until Chow came and he really took off.

I wonder if he will make as much as Reggie Bush made while in LA?

Ah...the ongoing NCAA investigation....that will never be concluded as long as USC is a cash cow for the NCAA.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

USC reloads, not rebuilds. OSU will still not come within 10 points.

USC is returning 10 starters on offense this year.Barkley will have far less pressure on him to win the game then Terrel Prior will.

I think the Buckeyes compete well but come up short like they did against Texas last year.I'd love to see OSU kill them to get some revenge from last year but I don't see it happening true frosh or not at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    USC is returning 10 starters on offense this year.Barkley will have far less pressure on him to win the game then Terrel Prior will.

I think the Buckeyes compete well but come up short like they did against Texas last year.I'd love to see OSU kill them to get some revenge from last year but I don't see it happening true frosh or not at QB.
    I think the game will be close, I won't make a call one way or the other. All I know is that Mike Adams will not be playing at LT, and that could be very ugly, we shall see. I reserve the right to make real predictions, until after I see both teams play next week.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I think the game will be close, I won't make a call one way or the other. All I know is that Mike Adams will not be playing at LT, and that could be very ugly, we shall see. I reserve the right to make real predictions, until after I see both teams play next week.
    I should wait also but OSU plays Navy and USC plays San Jose State.Unless there is a major injury(USC did just loose starting WR Ronald Johnson for 6-8 weeks) neither game will influence my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?