Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tiger Woods Saga Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Tiger Woods in serious condition after car wreck

I'm thinking I wasn't quite as fervent in my beliefs as you were, though I am a pretty big hypocrite lol....

That's my flaw- please don't judge me for it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'm thinking I wasn't quite as fervent in my beliefs as you were, though I am a pretty big hypocrite lol....

That's my flaw- please don't judge me for it.
    Like, I'm not someone that is screaming for Tiger Woods to lose his endorsements, retire from golf, etc...

I had a roommate in college who lets just say went after less than desirable targets in order to fulfull his need. I and my other roommates called him a man-wh*** (not really profane but I'm not pushing it) to his face, shared a laugh and moved on. He was a good guy, with many redeeming qualities and wound up a good father. Thats cool. (Trying to show you where I am coming from)

With Tiger I was just calling it as I see it, not really from a judgemental point of view in my eyes...but it was from a factual point of view in my eyes. I don't know if conversational tone just doesn't carry over well to message boards, but if my and my buddies were talking and I said Woods was a sleazeball we wouldn't skip a beat about it. Maybe it is something about a word in print that ignites a reaction from some.

Believe me, I'm not judging Tiger in a better-than-thou manner. Its just he did some really bad stuff (to me it was...cheating on his wife with multiple partners, no less around the time his wife was carrying his child), and I'm the type of guy (maybe an undesirable type of guy) who is gonna have a name for a guy performing such actions.

Thats all...nothing sinister behind my comments believe me...I just can't believe the outrage some took by them.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I don't see why it matters if it was one woman or 200 women. It points to one weakness, the lack of will power to turn away beautiful women who want nothing more than to have sex with him. It's a weakness, but as Dom has pointed out, it's not fair to define a person by a single weakness. And I stand by my belief that many of those with the pitch fork would not be able to turn them down either.

I understand why people believe it. It goes like this: I am a moral person; those morals are not dependent on my staion in life; cheating on your wife is immoral; therefore, I would never do it. And maybe it's harsh to say anyone WOULD do what Tiger has done, but I think it's fair to say no one really knows until they are in that situation.

And what Dom is pointing out with his comparables is important. Reasons for beliefs are more important than the actual belief, IMO. He's simply trying to point out that many men who are widely considered great men have had this same weakness (which should give more credence to the idea that with men and their lower brains, you just never know). Heck, FDR kept a mistress around while he was president. It was common knowledge and even Eleanor knew about it. Does that mean he wasn't capable of being a great man? Nope, just means he had a weakness, the same weakness that has existed amongst the earth's male population since sex was first discovered.

And I guarantee you that many people in this thread have a friend, colleague, realtive, etc... who they respect and admire who has done the same thing but you just don't know about it.
    One woman or 200 women doesn't make a difference? Put it this way, if a person commits robbery to 1 household or 200 households, is that the same? Would people view that the same? Of course not! You would have a criminal vs. a serial criminal. Big difference. It is a different example in the sense that we're talking about legal implications vs. moral implications, but neither should be applauded. Wrong is wrong and I would say that 1 is significantly different than 200. While both are wrong, you could call 1 affair a mistake. You can't refer to 200 as a mistake...that's a behavioral pattern that goes far beyond the scope of a "mistake." And to your point of, "you don't know how you would behave if you were in that situation," I know 100% how I would behave and I wouldn't have done what Tiger has.

I'll pose this for a third time now because I have yet to hear a good argument for it (though jojo had a great response that sort of addressed it)...

"If he wanted to sleep around with women, why did he get married in the first place? And have kids? And further, if he realized he wanted to sleep around after his marriage/kids, why didn't he divorce his wife so he could sleep around?

I think the overall reality is marriage has become a joke in this country. The divorce rate is over 50%. It's pretty clear, marriage has lost a lot of its meaning in this country and the fact that so many folks see having an affair as not a big deal or "unsurprising" helps cement that."

If everyone in this thread condemns Tiger Woods I'm sure we can get that percentage down to 45%.

It is sad to hear about Tiger's hamartia. He seemed to want to be more than just a great golfer, but in the end, he fell short. Now one wonders whether he cultivated the image he did for the money. He's still a great golfer, but he's a pathetic father and husband.

Consider this statement from his foundation's website:
    "From early childhood, I dreamed of being the world’s best golfer. I worked hard and applied my family’s values to everything I did. Integrity, honesty, discipline, responsibility, and fun: I learned these values at home and in school, each one pushing me further toward my dream.".

Just a few nice words and thoughts now, with no meaning

Well I guess I'll go ahead and throw in my moral views on this one.

I am huge Tiger Woods fan and at first I thought this would bother me more than it has. I think what he's done is horrible, but it doesn't make me like him as a golfer any less. Thought it would, but it doesn't.

I am sure he had a lot of fun until this all came crashing down on him and now there really isn't any other way to say it than: he's reaping what he sowed. I am sure he's going through hell right now and he deserves it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well I guess I'll go ahead and throw in my moral views on this one.

I am huge Tiger Woods fan and at first I thought this would bother me more than it has. I think what he's done is horrible, but it doesn't make me like him as a golfer any less. Thought it would, but it doesn't.

I am sure he had a lot of fun until this all came crashing down on him and now there really isn't any other way to say it than: he's reaping what he sowed. I am sure he's going through hell right now and he deserves it.
    Well said. We sometimes seem to think that just because someone is "high profile", a sort of icon that we admire and look up to, whether it's sports, an actor/actress, whoever, that they are also to be "perfect", infallible, and must live up to the expectations WE place on them. And if they screw up, then look out.

It's a mantle that a vast majority within mankind could not carry.

And no, I don't say that to justify or condone what he did. Only that even though he may possess something a majority of us don't - a particular talent that has made him rich and famous, and even well-loved throughout the world, he does share a common bond with us all that can easily bring him down.....

He's human.

It was once sung.... Money can't buy me love (and even happiness).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    It is sad to hear about Tiger's hamartia. He seemed to want to be more than just a great golfer, but in the end, he fell short. Now one wonders whether he cultivated the image he did for the money. He's still a great golfer, but he's a pathetic father and husband.

Consider this statement from his foundation's website:
    "From early childhood, I dreamed of being the world’s best golfer. I worked hard and applied my family’s values to everything I did. Integrity, honesty, discipline, responsibility, and fun: I learned these values at home and in school, each one pushing me further toward my dream.".

Just a few nice words and thoughts now, with no meaning
    Depends on how you interpret fun, I guess.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Snoring in the street? Sounds like someone had one too many.

Now he's a pathetic father?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Snoring in the street? Sounds like someone had one too many.
    You keep throwing that out there, but they same neighbor who told us that he was snoring also said:
    "She was very quiet, just kind of in shock, you know, just kind of sitting there," he said.

Elin's mother and Tiger's mother both emerged from the Woods' house. Adams and his sister got blankets and a pillow for the still-unconscious man's head. He said during the time he was up close with Woods, he did not smell any kind of alcohol on anyone.

"No alcohol, not any other kind of drug whatsoever. None. Zero," he said.
    http://wcbstv.com/sports/tiger.woods...2.1348558.html
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Now he's a pathetic father?
    I'd say so, yeah. What kind of message does it send to the children that their dad is unfaithful to their mom?

So will Tiger's caddy kill someone in the gallery this year? Tiger will definitely be putting up with some heckling.

One can make an argument that this will motivate Tiger to be an even better golfer...that is without question possible.

However, I am I only one looking forward to see which golfer makes a comment to the press about this situation mid-way thru a tournament to try to get under Tiger's skin? This is unchartered waters for Tiger folks...who knows how he will react.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Lets come at this from another angle. While Tiger doesn't have to say a word legally, does anyone here think he is handling this properly right now? I sure don't. Pretend you are Tiger's publicist...what would you have him do differently. Hiding being a website making vague statements, without using any adjectives....it just doesn't look good.

I would start by having him explain the accident. Truthfully and openly, at least from a big picture standpoint. Get it out there. Too much speculating going on about it now.
    Now word has come out that he was trying to pay off the women in his life behind the scenes for their silence, while remaining silent himself. That strategy didn't seem to work so well, so I'd say that he has set a fine precedent for how not to handle a story like this.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?