Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen to return for one more year with the Reds?

Re: Scott Rolen to return for one more year with the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I think Rolen has enough in the tank that he would be more valuable to the team than just about anybody else in the Miguel Cairo role. The question is if Rolen would be willing to accept that role and that money.

It won't kill me if he's not with the team, but simply out of respect, if he wants to go to spring training, I think they should bring him.
    My thoughts exactly.

I would be suprised if Rolen would return as a bench player at a greatly reduced salary. He is a borderline HOF candidate and I doubt he would want to be remembered at the end of his career as a bench player. Little things like that can sometimes affect a players HOF chances. Also he has young kids and I just would be suprised if he would want to spend so much time away from them when money is hardly a concern and he has nothing left to prove on the field.

Then again maybe he just loves the game and he wants to play. In another thread, so many feel like he is as responsible as any current player for what this franchise is today and I agree. So if he wants to come back as a bench player and can still do it then I agree we need to give him the respect of letting him try.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everybody is being very respectful and polite, and that's appropriate, Scott has been a great player with a Hall of Fame career.

But I don't think the Reds expect him to play.

The Reds just traded for Donald and acquired Hannahan. Lesser players than Rolen for sure, but the Reds expect these guys on the ballclub. They signed Hannahan for two years with an option.

Rolen really isn't built to be a backup, he only plays one position, the Reds have others for third base now.

Maybe he comes to spring training, maybe he even starts the season on the DL, but I don't expect to see him playing.

So my guess is that Scott will retire and not play anymore.

If he does, I wish him good luck, great player.

Well, that's true, but Im of the train of thought that you have to go about your needs regardless of whether or not Rolen signs. If the Reds waited until he decided, we would have lost out on Hannahan and maybe Donald as well. If he wants to come back, he will...but I think it's clear that the Reds are "ok" to move on without him as well. That's important for Rolen to see, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hannarahanigan.
    Careful... that could stick! LOL
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Totally on board if Scott is brought back as a part timer, backup, mentor, etc. they could do a whole lot worse.

If Joey Votto likes having him on the team, I like him on the team. I think Rolen is the kind of guy who is okay with whatever role he plays, so it's almost a no-brainer to have a future HOF'er on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Just not a fan of "prescence guys."

He offers little other than emotions, which would be terrific if this were an episode of Oprah or a Lifetime movie.

As far as baseball goes, he's done and whatever is left in the tank will be on the DL half the year.

I need a nap lol....
    His bat would play well off the bench. And he's STILL a great fielder. Sure, his prime is well past gone. But I think he still has something to offer this team. He was crucial for us down the stretch last year.

Seems to me like Rolen starts the year retired, but if there are injuries or ineffectiveness by the All-Star break at the corner, it could be he could come back at that point, I suspect.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I'm all for Scott Rolen remaining a part of the Reds organization for years to come. If that means one more year on the MLB roster before (hopefully) becoming a coach at Dayton or Louisville (both of which are fairly close to home for him, which I believe has been a stated priority), so be it.

How to fit him onto the roster does seem like a bit of an issue, however. Somebody even suggested dropping down to 11 pitchers to make room. I'm not sure that's a good idea... but then again, the only idea I have isn't exactly a peach, either:

Basically, I'd lean towards dropping a 5th OF (be it Paul or whoever). Just go with the three starters and Heisey. Frazier is now your 5th OF. And maybe instead of Frazier also being the go-to back-up for Votto at 1B, you can get Rolen to play a game or three at first, so that Frazier's not bouncing all around the diamond. Would that work?

Rick
    Last edited by FlightRick; 12-13-2012 at 10:36 PM.

i keep thinking about Eric Chavez and what an important role he's been playing with the Yankees...."we" could do a lot worse.....btw every year I fret over the roster and how all the names are going to go into 25 and every year it works itself out...i'm sure this year will be no different

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Put me in the camp that hopes Rolen comes back for one last hurrah. The Reds could easily use Hannahan as the backup SS if Rolen ends up playing (which will be bad news for Jason Donald, but there's no monetary investment in him).

Also, the chances of Frazier, Rolen, Hannahan and Donald all staying healthy for 162 games is almost zero. Therefore, it would be easy to argue that all four of them will be needed for the three available spots (starting 3B, backup 3B, backup SS/utility man).

Question for me is how much are the Reds willing to pay for a good clubhouse guy / reserve infielder? And what would Rolen accept?

I love Rolen (in a manly way), but a RH pinch hitter and only 3B backup isn't a very flexible roster slot.

Can Scott play 1B or anything else?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Im sure he can play a very adequate 1B. Even last year he was still able to pick it at 3B. His defense isn't the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I love Rolen (in a manly way), but a RH pinch hitter and only 3B backup isn't a very flexible roster slot.

Can Scott play 1B or anything else?
    That would be my concern. Also, if he is signed, he's going to start the majority of games at 3rd - when healthy - because he's got the best glove and probably the best bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?