Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs and Homefield "Advantage"

Playoffs and Homefield "Advantage"

So, did you know, if the Reds were to be the #1 seed, there's a decent chance they would open the playoffs by playing two games on the road in St. Louis? And if that if they are the #2 seed, then there's a decent chance they are starting off the playoffs by playing two on the West Coast? It's true!

I know that this has been touched on in a few threads, but I think a lot of people may not be aware. From an MLB press release about playoff scheduling:

For the 2012 Postseason only, the five-game Division Series will begin with two home games for lower seeds, followed by up to three home games for higher seeds. This one-year change, which eliminates a travel day prior to a decisive Game Five of the Division Series, was necessary because the 2012 regular season schedule was established before the agreement on the new Postseason format was reached. Next year, the Division Series will return to the 2-2-1 format used in previous years.
    Pretty terrible, huh?

I think it is most likely that either the Reds or Nationals will be the #1 seed, and the NL West winner will be the #3 seed. We all know the Cardinals are going to win the play-in wild card game. So our most likely first round scenarios are starting off playing 2 games in St. Louis or 2 on the west coast before even getting a home game.

That is pretty bad on so many levels.

The good news is, now that I have made a post acknowledging that the Reds will probably make the playoffs, they will likely lose their next 15 games and not even make the playoffs (if my history as a sports fan is any indication).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Playoffs and Homefield "Advantage"

Complete incompetence by whoever made that decision.

In the days of 2 divisions the NLCS was 5 games with the 2 and 3 format. Split on the road and win at home, Not that big a deal IMO. The team with 2 at home almost have to have a sweep at home. That's a tall order IMO. I think this is much ado over nothing. A good team should be able to win one of two on the road and 2 of 3 at home.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

How hard would it have been to play a day game after a night game for the 2nd and 4th games and then if a 5th game was needed.....you travel after the day game (Game 4) and then play a night game for game 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Complete incompetence by whoever made that decision.
    Yes.

I'm also really disliking the idea of the 1-game Wild Card play-in, but I doubt that ever changes now.

Home field advantage isn't a big deal in baseball. If the number one seed can't take one of the first two games in a series against a wild card team, it's their own fault, no matter where they are played.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Yes.

I'm also really disliking the idea of the 1-game Wild Card play-in, but I doubt that ever changes now.
    Agreed, though when someone pointed out that it raise the importance of winning your division, I mind it less.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    In the days of 2 divisions the NLCS was 5 games with the 2 and 3 format. Split on the road and win at home, Not that big a deal IMO. The team with 2 at home almost have to have a sweep at home. That's a tall order IMO. I think this is much ado over nothing. A good team should be able to win one of two on the road and 2 of 3 at home.
    It's not a huge deal in the abstract, I agree. Just kind of stinks that it's likely going to force the Reds to play one of 2 places (St. Louis or the west coast) where they often struggle. And it would really be too bad if they only had 1 home playoff game again.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Home field advantage isn't a big deal in baseball. If the number one seed can't take one of the first two games in a series against a wild card team, it's their own fault, no matter where they are played.
    Agreed, for the most part. Home field is worth about 4% on average, though that's an 8% swing. But over two games, that's not a significant disadvantage.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It is if the away team is a west coast team in a giant ballpark that the #1 didn't build their team for.

It is if the away team is a west coast team in a giant ballpark that the #1 didn't build their team for.
    If they can't win 1 there, they don't deserve to go on and still could with a sweep at home. This is way over blown IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I don't agree with the assumption that St. Louis is the presumptive wild card team though.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If they can't win 1 there, they don't deserve to go on and still could with a sweep at home. This is way over blown IMO.
    Whether they "deserve" it or not, I don't see how you can say that it punishes the #1 to a degree.

Whether they "deserve" it or not, I don't see how you can say that it punishes the #1 to a degree.
    If you are the other team, you almost have to sweep at home. If they lose one at home, they need to win two of three on the road. I don't see that being any advantage for the team starting with 2 at home.

Agreed, though when someone pointed out that it raise the importance of winning your division, I mind it less.
    I liked it at first for that reason, but now (for reasons I can't quite articulate) I just don't like the idea that whole season comes down to 1 game by design. Also, it means a team that did even worse in the regular season can now get hot for a few weeks and win the World Series.

I would rather go back to a more balanced schedule; and give the #1 seed some large advantage over the wild card team in the playoffs, such as an automatic 1 game lead, or a 5-game series all at home. That would make playing for #1 seed and your division a big deal.

Turn Off Ads?