Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Gomes is official, here’s what he had to say
    Posted by jfay February 22nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

The Reds officially announced the Jonny Gomes’ deal. It’s a one-year major league deal with an option for 2011.

Gomes talked to reporters right after passing his physical:

Thrilled to be back? “Absolutely. You can almost copy my quotes from last year. Walt and Dusty welcomed me with open arms. Once I put in a year last year, I’m really excited to grow with these guys, watching some of these young , core guys mature in just a season and some of these guys Walt brought in. I’m excited to be a Red. This is a well-put-together team.”

Was offseason strange, getting non-tendered and then coming back: “It was a different offseason. I didn’t want – I saw some of the stuff out there – other people overplaying their hand. That’s not my case at all. If I ever was to hold out for money or a big deal, it wouldn’t be after a 280-at-bat campaign. After the non-tender, the No. 1 thing on my plate was a major league deal. The money is nice, of course, but I was just looking for a major league deal. It took all the way to Feb. 22. You look at it now, it doesn’t matter when you sign.”

Was he confident something would get done? “I was pretty confident I’d end up with a major deal. I’m starting to become established. I think I’ve proven myself at major-league level. Coming back here, I was pretty confident, too, because I wanted to be back here.”

When did they offer you a big league deal? “Not very long ago. I really don’t know that side of it. I’m baseball player . . . I stayed out of it.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dickerson and Heisy. Wlad is a breakout possibility. Nix? nope.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Gomes is official, here’s what he had to say
    Posted by jfay February 22nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

The Reds officially announced the Jonny Gomes’ deal. It’s a one-year major league deal with an option for 2011.

Gomes talked to reporters right after passing his physical:

Thrilled to be back? “Absolutely. You can almost copy my quotes from last year. Walt and Dusty welcomed me with open arms. Once I put in a year last year, I’m really excited to grow with these guys, watching some of these young , core guys mature in just a season and some of these guys Walt brought in. I’m excited to be a Red. This is a well-put-together team.”

Was offseason strange, getting non-tendered and then coming back: “It was a different offseason. I didn’t want – I saw some of the stuff out there – other people overplaying their hand. That’s not my case at all. If I ever was to hold out for money or a big deal, it wouldn’t be after a 280-at-bat campaign. After the non-tender, the No. 1 thing on my plate was a major league deal. The money is nice, of course, but I was just looking for a major league deal. It took all the way to Feb. 22. You look at it now, it doesn’t matter when you sign.”

Was he confident something would get done? “I was pretty confident I’d end up with a major deal. I’m starting to become established. I think I’ve proven myself at major-league level. Coming back here, I was pretty confident, too, because I wanted to be back here.”

When did they offer you a big league deal? “Not very long ago. I really don’t know that side of it. I’m baseball player . . . I stayed out of it.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    Nice, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Reading between the lines, Gomes and his agent were willing to sign for the vet minimum, but they at least wanted a Major League deal. The Reds didn't see any problem with that, as long as he was in fact willing to sign for the minimum (or very close to it). As I said in my previous post, there is no reason for anyone to get worked up about the Reds giving him a Major League deal because it's not going to cost the team any more $$ than a minor league deal would (because obviously the team thinks he will make the 25-man roster as do many of us on here) and because they don't have to remove anyone from the 40-man roster due to Volquez's injury.

The Reds wanted Gomes back all along, they just (wisely) didn't want to pay him ~ $3 mil. Very pleased with the way all of this worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Dickerson and Heisy. Wlad is a breakout possibility. Nix? nope.
    I would think that all three of them are long shots to eclipse a .786 OPS this season. Dickerson's career minor league OPS was .777 and Heisey has proven nothing above AA. Wlad, while a breakout possibility, is also a flop possibility.

This team is actually somewhat coming together and I'd rather go into this season with a proven commodity in LF instead of only longshots. There is no reason to rush Heisey, Wlad is a crapshoot and Dickerson doesn't have the pop this team needs.

What is proven about Gomes?

That he can't hit RH's, is BAD defensively, and has trouble staying healthy.

That's it.

That's it.
    He had a banged up shoulder that required surgery and robbed him of virtually two seasons. I don't think that we can consider him injury prone just off of that.

In his two healthy seasons, he has hit RHPs more than adequately. And, over his career, he has a .758 OPS versus RHPs. Heisey has shown nothing above AA to this point, Balentien has struggled in the majors over his career and Dickerson has zero power, which is what this team currently needs.

I'll give you the defense, but the way this team is currently set up they can sacrifice some defense for the needed offense. They will need to score some runs eventually.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

That's it.
    (Devil's advocate warning.)

That he rakes against lefties, provides something the team was lacking without him (right-handed power-hitting OF) and his defense, while not good, was not as bad as advertised last year. Oh, and 2009 wasn't even his "career year" as some on here have incorrectly stated. 2005 was better. Cue the "but he sucked from 2006-08" lines. (Which is exactly what I would say if I were you too, so I don't blame ya.)

That's it.
    He's a lifetime .801 OPS hitter. A major league bat. That's what is proven about him.

Look up how many Reds players have an .800 lifetime OPS. Not many.

Gomes is a flawed player. He can be useful and he can be misused. He's probably not a starter.

As minor league deals go, he's probably a good guy to give one too.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Gomes is a flawed player. He can be useful and he can be misused. He's probably not a starter.

As minor league deals go, he's probably a good guy to give one too.....
    I agree. Its just too bad he was given a major league deal with an option for 2011. Don't like that quite as much.

I'm really kind of surprised at the level of skepticism around Gomes. If he is on a guaranteed deal for a reasonable amount of money, then why all the fuss? He is an obvious offensive upgrade over what is in house for LF and, at worst, is a good bat to have on the bench.

Mindboggling, to be honest.

I don't see him as an obvious upgrade, and defensively he hands back any marginal upgrade he MIGHT be over Dickerson.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Playing the "I was here first" card. I like it.
    Sounds like what Marty always tells the "uppitty" players "I was here before you were and I'll be here after you're gone"

Good news re: JG...now if only there was a backup 1b who is RHH with pop it would be a "perfect" roster. I have a feeling Dusty will insert Miles when Joey needs a day off
    Never overlook the obvious

Foxsports' take:

Gomes enhances talent-laden Reds — 3:20 p.m.

Talking with a National League executive the other day, I was surprised to hear him mention the Reds as a possible breakout team.

The reason, the executive said, was simple.

“Talent.”

The re-signing of outfielder Jonny Gomes on Monday to a one-year contract with a club option for 2011 only enhances that talent.

Gomes, 29, hit 20 home runs in 281 at-bats last season. He mashes left- handed pitching, and likely will platoon with Chris Dickerson, a left- handed hitter, in left field.

So, how good are the Reds?

Maybe good enough to threaten the Cardinals in the Central and produce the team’s first winning season since 2000.

The Reds’ infield will be Joey Votto at first, Brandon Phillips at second, Orlando Cabrera at short, Scott Rolen at third. Ramon Hernandez will catch, and the outfield will consist of Jay Bruce in right, Drew Stubbs in center and Dickerson and Gomes in left.

Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey are the top four starters under new pitching coach Bryan Price. The bullpen, which ranked third in the N.L. last season in ERA, remains intact.

— Ken Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...ng-buzz-021510

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Sounds like what Marty always tells the "uppitty" players "I was here before you were and I'll be here after you're gone"

Good news re: JG...now if only there was a backup 1b who is RHH with pop it would be a "perfect" roster. I have a feeling Dusty will insert Miles when Joey needs a day off
    Hey you came over with me, so we were both here at the same time... BTW ramon not Miles will get that 1st base time

Turn Off Ads?