Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I signed up for MoviePass

I signed up for MoviePass

I signed up for Movie Pass. It costs $10 a month and for that you can see 1 free movie a day (as long as it's been 24 hours since last movie). Read some reviews and it seems to be legit. It's run by the guy that started Netflix.

I hardly EVER watch movies in a theater. I saw 2 last year when the grandkids were here, and before that I think Avatar was last one I saw.

But....I'm retired and wife is still working. Have a lot of time on my hands. So I'm going to give it a shot. Takes 2-3 weeks for card to arrive I understand.

Anyone else on Movie Pass?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-19-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I signed up for MoviePass

So if you see more than one movie a month you come out ahead? That seems like a pretty good deal. Not much Hollywood puts out interests me any more, but 2 a month might be doable.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I've heard some good and bad reviews about it. People have had troubles actually being able to use it. Apparently you can't just go to any movie at any time. There are, or at least were a few months ago, limited "movie pass" seats available and if others got there before you for the movie you wanted, you were out of luck. When it works out, it sounds like it's great.

Granted I did not do extensive research. I figure I'll do my real research after I get the card and I'll gamble the $10. But what reviews I read were all pretty positive. It is not valid for 3D or IMAX. AFter I get the card I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (10-13-2017)

3D sucks anyways
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Kinsm (11-17-2017),Razor Shines (10-09-2017)

I got the card today. So I'll be testing it soon. The one thing that surprised me right off the bat?........ It's basically a credit card. I always heard you paid with your card, but I just assumed they just somehow "got your number" by scanning it or something. But it's got a MasterCard logo on it. You pay for the movie with a credit card that someone else (Movie Pass) pays for.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I got the card today. So I'll be testing it soon. The one thing that surprised me right off the bat?........ It's basically a credit card. I always heard you paid with your card, but I just assumed they just somehow "got your number" by scanning it or something. But it's got a MasterCard logo on it. You pay for the movie with a credit card that someone else (Movie Pass) pays for.
    A guy I know has seen 75 dollars worth of movies in the first week he received his card. I'm wondering just how they're going to stay in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    A guy I know has seen 75 dollars worth of movies in the first week he received his card. I'm wondering just how they're going to stay in business.
    If the card isn't good for high-demand movies, it might work like sites such as Hotwire that basically sell empty hotel rooms. You don't lose money by having people sit in seats that would be unoccupied, and it doesn't cost more to show a movie to 50 people than it does to show it to 20. The 75 dollars spent likely wouldn't have been spent on these movies without a card.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I don't think there are restrictions on high-demand movies. (I guess I'll find out). The movie theater gets full price. So it doesn't matter to them whether I pay cash or I use the card. I heard they plan to monetize it by selling data.

Example: I go to see 5 horror flicks. Next time a horror flick come out they can be paid to send me a notice that says "Remember - They All Will Die comes out Friday".

Example: I pay to go see movie at 1:15 that ends at 3:00. They can send me notification at 3 PM that says "Here's a special discount for X restaraunt that just happens to be 1 block from your theater", valid only today.

14. Likes:

marcshoe (10-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Powel Crosley View Post
    I also read they expect people to use it a bunch at first and then settle down to 2 or 3 times a month.

OK, so I used it today for the first time. Worked like a charm. I pulled up in front of theater for a 1:30 showing. Opened the app and selected the theater, movie, and showing. It said you had to be within 100 yards of the theater. I was so I proceeded. I thought I was all done signing up but when I proceeded they told me I had to activate the card by putting in the last 4 digits. When I did that, I got a message that said you have to buy your ticket within 30 minutes. Probably took 1 minute.

60 seconds later I walked up to ticket counter, told them the movie I wanted and handed them the card. I told them I'd only activated it a minute before. He swiped it it, said it worked and handed me the ticket. Pretty easy. Current plan is to try again Friday.

I've had it for about a month and I've gone to see like three movies, including Blade Runner 2049 on opening night.

Only complications I've had so far:

*The best movie theaters in the city of Indianapolis are Landmark Theaters, including the Art Cinema, which does not partner with MoviePass.

*AMC is the only other option and they do reserved seating. When I used to go to AMC theaters I'd purchase my ticket online ahead of time to ensure a good seat, but that isn't possible with MoviePass. So I have to stop by the theater ahead of time--which is in a crowded shopping mall--or get there plenty early.

*The AMC ticket counter doesn't accept it, only their automated machines, which shouldn't be a problem but they have like three and usually at least one is out of order.

Ok, Movie #2 today. This one was a Cinemark Theater. I wanted to check them out because someone told me they had Luxury Lounger chairs. They did, and they were nice, with electric footrests, etc. As promised I skipped the refreshment stand. You pick your seat from a screen at the box office. If either of the 2 chains I went to had kiosks, I didn't see them.

I'm going on weekday afternoons, so there is not much attendance. This one was about 25 people maybe. (The one Wed had 3!!). Saw American Made (Tom Cruise) this time. So far have seen 2 movies on my $10 "investment".

No Landmark Theaters in Jax. The one I went to Wed was a Regal.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-20-2017 at 05:17 PM.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-23-2017)

Movie 3 today. The Foreigner. Surprisingly good. If anyone ever predicted I'd go to the movies for a Jackie Chan movie...you just won. Cost of my 3 movies? $3.33 each.

21. Likes:

Kinsm (11-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I've had it for about a month and I've gone to see like three movies, including Blade Runner 2049 on opening night.

Only complications I've had so far:

*The best movie theaters in the city of Indianapolis are Landmark Theaters, including the Art Cinema, which does not partner with MoviePass.

*AMC is the only other option and they do reserved seating. When I used to go to AMC theaters I'd purchase my ticket online ahead of time to ensure a good seat, but that isn't possible with MoviePass. So I have to stop by the theater ahead of time--which is in a crowded shopping mall--or get there plenty early.

*The AMC ticket counter doesn't accept it, only their automated machines, which shouldn't be a problem but they have like three and usually at least one is out of order.
    Damnit. I'm expecting my card any day now and your post really put a damper on my excitement.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?