Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BA: Draft Order

Re: BA: Draft Order

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Initial reports I've read say its the strongest draft class in years.. lots of depth and good talent.
    Let's hope thats true and we net another good pick from Schoenweis.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/263050.html

In the last two weeks, three more compensation free agents have changed teams. Ryan Klesko (Type B) went from the Padres to Giants, Jeff Suppan (Type A) from the Cardinals to Brewers and Barry Zito (Type A) from the Athletics to the Giants. Zito got $126 million over seven years, and I'll reiterate what I've said before: I'd rather have Daisuke Matsuzaka for six years and $103 million.

Below is the updated draft order for 2007. The supplemental first round currently stands at a whopping 32 picks, and it could swell to 38 if the remaining compensation free agents all change addresses.

First-Round Picks
    1. Devil Rays
    2. Royals
    3. Cubs
    4. Pirates
    5. Orioles
    6. Nationals
    7. Brewers
    8. Rockies
    9. Diamondbacks
    10. Giants
    11. Mariners
    12. Marlins
    13. Indians
    14. Braves
    15. Reds
    16. Blue Jays (Frank Catalanotto, A, to Tex)
    17. Rangers (Carlos Lee, A, to Hou)
    18. Cardinals
    19. Phillies
    20. Dodgers (Julio Lugo, A, to Bos)
    21. Blue Jays
    22. Giants (Jason Schmidt, A, to LAD)
    23. Padres
    24. Rangers (Gary Matthews Jr., A, to LAA)
    25. White Sox
    26. Athletics
    27. Tigers
    28. Twins
    29. Giants (Moises Alou, A, to NYM)
    30. Yankees
    Supplemental First-Round Picks
    31. Cubs (Juan Pierre, B, to LAD)
    32. Nationals (Alfonso Soriano, A, to ChC)
    33. Diamondbacks (Craig Counsell, B, to Mil)
    34. Giants (Alou)
    35. Mariners (Gil Meche, B, to KC)
    36. Braves (Danys Baez, A, to Bal)
    37. Reds (Rich Aurilia, A, to SF)
    38. Rangers (Lee)
    39. Cardinals (Jeff Suppan, A, to Mil)
    40. Phillies (David Dellucci, A, to Cle)
    41. Red Sox (Alex Gonzalez, B, to Cin)
    42. Blue Jays (Justin Speier, A, to LAA)
    43. Dodgers (Lugo)
    44. Padres (Woody Williams, A, to Hou)
    45. Angels (Adam Kennedy, B, to StL)
    46. Athletics (Barry Zito, A, to SF)
    47. Tigers (Jamie Walker, B, to Bal)
    48. Mets (Roberto Hernandez, A, to Cle)
    49. Nationals (Jose Guillen, B, to Sea)
    50. Diamondbacks (Miguel Batista, B, to Sea)
    51. Giants (Schmidt)
    52. Rangers (Matthews)
    53. Blue Jays (Catalanotto)
    54. Padres (Dave Roberts, A, to SF)
    55. Athletics (Frank Thomas, B, to Tor)
    56. Mets (Chad Bradford, A, to Bal)
    57. Giants (Mike Stanton, B, to Cin)
    58. Rangers (Mark DeRosa, B, to ChC)
    59. Blue Jays (Ted Lilly, B, to ChC)
    60. Padres (Alan Embree, B, to Oak)
    61. Padres (Ryan Klesko, B, to SF)
    62. Diamondbacks (have yet to sign 2006 first-rounder Max Scherzer)
    Second-Round Changes
    65. Nationals (Soriano to ChC)
    67. Braves (Baez to Bal)
    69. Cardinals (Suppan to Mil)
    72. Athletics (Zito to SF)
    75. Mets (Hernandez to Cle)
    79. Padres (Williams to Hou)
    86. Blue Jays (Speier to LAA)
    Third-Round Changes
    97. Mets (Bradford to Bal)
    102. Reds (Aurilia to SF)
    105. Phillies (Dellucci to Cle)
    Fourth-Round Changes
    132. Padres (Roberts to SF)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    Bos: Keith Foulke (B).
    Cin: Scott Schoeneweis (B).
    NYY: Ron Villone (B).
    StL: Mark Mulder (B).
    SD: Chan Ho Park (B), David Wells (B).

This is the problem with the draft comp. The Giants sign several A free agents and still get 6 picks in the top 60. They sign the Reds A free agents and the Reds have to wait for the Giants to pick 4 times before the Reds receive the sandwhich for it and then another 3 picks by the Giants before they get there suppose to be 1st round comp pick.

All I care about is they draft Pitchers! Unless its an obvious shy away by other teams because of $$$ concerns on a phenomenal positional talent. Pitching more pitching and extra gravy with pitching! Simple reason is that pitching can get you any other talent in a trade.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So can good hitting topcat. Pitching can also flame out 10 times faster than hitting. Injuries hardly ever ruin a hitting career....injuries quite often can ruin a pitching career.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So can good hitting topcat. Pitching can also flame out 10 times faster than hitting. Injuries hardly ever ruin a hitting career....injuries quite often can ruin a pitching career.
    Dirt I agree with what you are saying. I respect the knowledge you bring to this forum. I just want to add that it is a mixed bag of things that the draft adds to a team. I just honestly feel that excess of pitching prospects brings a team far better returns in deals.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Topcat, the problem is with the baseball draft, it is such a crapshoot that at least in my opinion, you have to take the best guy available.

Topcat, the problem is with the baseball draft, it is such a crapshoot that at least in my opinion, you have to take the best guy available.
    In this era I think you have to do that, but to a point. If there are 2 players on the board who are worthy of the pick and player A is a college starter and player B is a bat, I would lean towards the pitcher. Sure injuries are a concern, but I think it has been proven that college arms are safer than HS arms.

I think hitting is easier to find than pitching in the FA market, and cheaper. So I'd rather be rich in pitching than hitting.

Think Meche vs Aurilia.

Or look at it this way...right now, the A's might get one of the top hitting prospects in baseball for Joe Blanton, he of the 2006 4.82 ERA. So if you bring up some young pitching prospects and they don't do that well, you can always trade them for a top minor league OF.

Who might the A's get for Joe Blanton thats a top hitting prospect?

Who might the A's get for Joe Blanton thats a top hitting prospect?
    Milledge

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    In this era I think you have to do that, but to a point. If there are 2 players on the board who are worthy of the pick and player A is a college starter and player B is a bat, I would lean towards the pitcher. Sure injuries are a concern, but I think it has been proven that college arms are safer than HS arms.

I think hitting is easier to find than pitching in the FA market, and cheaper. So I'd rather be rich in pitching than hitting.

Think Meche vs Aurilia.

Or look at it this way...right now, the A's might get one of the top hitting prospects in baseball for Joe Blanton, he of the 2006 4.82 ERA. So if you bring up some young pitching prospects and they don't do that well, you can always trade them for a top minor league OF.

Here's what I'd do and why:

Draft the best available college guy with the position player getting the nod when its a toss up between pitcher and position guy...

The Reds are basically just getting A ball in order with a dramatic void existing between the majors and A ball with the exception of Homer and Votto (who has a lot left to prove his one good year notwithstanding). They've adopted a small market payroll philosophy so they basically have to build from within on the young and cheap or trade for need with the bites at the free agent apple kept to a minimum. The quickest way to both get in house talent flowing and rebuild the farm is through drafting college guys both because they are more experienced and because they have less risk than HS/Latin youngsters (because you can better evaluate what your getting through a bigger sample size against tougher competition). All things being equal, the position guy gets the nod because there is less chance of injury causing the position guy to flame out as Doug said.....

So by minimizing risk, there's a greater chance of getting the farm pipeline humming...

BTW, Omar trades Milledge for Blanton only if he's desperate and a bit drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here's what I'd do and why:

Draft the best available college guy with the position player getting the nod when its a toss up between pitcher and position guy...

The Reds are basically just getting A ball in order with a dramatic void existing between the majors and A ball with the exception of Homer and Votto (who has a lot left to prove his one good year notwithstanding). They've adopted a small market payroll philosophy so they basically have to build from within on the young and cheap or trade for need with the bites at the free agent apple kept to a minimum. The quickest way to both get in house talent flowing and rebuild the farm is through drafting college guys both because they are more experienced and because they have less risk than HS/Latin youngsters (because you can better evaluate what your getting through a bigger sample size against tougher competition). All things being equal, the position guy gets the nod because there is less chance of injury causing the position guy to flame out as Doug said.....

So by minimizing risk, there's a greater chance of getting the farm pipeline humming...

BTW, Omar trades Milledge for Blanton only if he's desperate and a bit drunk...
    And then the team resembles the 2005-2006 Cincinnati Reds, with a lot of hitting and a lot of crying about pitching prices.

Draft hitters, cry about pitching, repeat.

And then the team resembles the 2005-2006 Cincinnati Reds, with a lot of hitting and a lot of crying about pitching prices.

Draft hitters, cry about pitching, repeat.
    Not necesarily...if the best available guy is clearly a pitcher, you take him. To minimize risk, I would simply set the bar higher for taking a pitcher. He has to be a college player and he has to clearly be better than the next guy on your board. I'd suggest such an approach would actually increase your chances of having true pitching prospects over time.

Also, the development of bona fide position playing prospects, even if theyre blocked, means you have more trade bait to address needs on the roster. The key is to develop as many true prospects as you can. Simply going from drafting 2 guys a year that will make a major league roster to 3 guys a year would be a huge thing over the course of five years. That would be a clear competitive advantage for a small market team and it could all start with better risk management during the draft.

Milledge
    Milledge isnt a top bat. The guy has no pop whatever in his bat...
    I wouldnt call him a top hitting prospect.... When I think of those guys, Bruce, Young, Gordon, Tulowitzki, Wood, Butler and Braun come to mind. Milledge hasnt hit more than 8 HR in a minor league season since A Ball

Milledge isnt a top bat. The guy has no pop whatever in his bat...
    I wouldnt call him a top hitting prospect.... When I think of those guys, Bruce, Young, Gordon, Tulowitzki, Wood, Butler and Braun come to mind. Milledge hasnt hit more than 8 HR in a minor league season since A Ball
    I get confused about which stats people pay attention to on here, but I'll give this a shot.

1) Someone wrote that PECOTA projects him to be pretty solid over the next 5 years. I know there's a lot of PECOTA fans out here, so take that for whatever it's worth.

2) Bruce (age 19) Low A: 444 ABs, 16 HR, .291/.355/.516
    Milledge (age 19) Low A: 261 ABs, 13 HR, .337/.399/.579

3) Milledge (age 20) AA: 193 ABs, 4 HR, .337/.392/.487
    Bruce: ?

Milledge had a pretty impressive Low A campaign at age 19. More impressive than Bruce and showing more power. Also looked pretty good after his promotion to AA at age 20. Bruce's age 20 season is yet to be seen.

When I referred to Milledge as a top "bat", I meant top position player vs pitching prospect. But he still looks pretty good as a hitter. Calling Bruce a top "bat" might be a little aggressive but he's on his way. This season will be big for him.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 01-02-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Turn Off Ads?