Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Re: 2012 UC Football Official Thread

Sorry but as soon as Weiss had to start winning with his own recruits ND went in to the toilet. Kelly went in with Weiss' recruits and won a BCS bowl (something Weiss never did). Now at the three year mark where Kelly is starting to play with his own recruits, he went undefeated and is in the National Championship game.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    Kelly went in with Weiss' recruits and won a BCS bowl (something Weiss never did).
    When did Kelly win a BCS bowl with Weiss's recruits? I don't recall the Sun or Champp's Sports Bowls (which he lost) being in the BCS.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    When did Kelly win a BCS bowl with Weiss's recruits? I don't recall the Sun or Champp's Sports Bowls (which he lost) being in the BCS.
    I'm sorry you are right, I meant won a bowl game. Had BCS on the brain, with the National Championship.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Artrell Hawkins is talking up Hue Jackson on Twitter. I would have never even thought of him as a possibility to coach UC, and I'm not sure if he would even want to. Interesting to think about though, he's a good coach.

First, it's Weis. Weis. Not Weiss.

Second, as the resident Notre Dame fan here I can tell you Kelly and Weis have only one thing in common as head coaches of Notre Dame - - they both could recruit. The similarities end there. Kelly is building a program based on Stanford (academics and strong line play on both sides of ball) and Alabama (strong defense first and foremost, offense that controls line and uses clock). Charlie Weis went after stars on recruiting sites and then thought his "offensive genius" would take over from there. Teams had no toughness, never got better. His records and history reflect that. Kelly's teams keep improving. And I have news for ya - ND is going to be even better team next year. They might not go undefeated again but their offense will be better with Golson getting more comfortable and their defense will still have once of best defensive lines in country and all secondary is back and now experienced. Replacing Te'o and his leadership will be key though.

As for Jones to Tennessee, meh. Good for Tennessee. And Cincy can find a good replacement. Just not Diaco. Stay away from him!! Seriously, Cincinnati will be fine.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I hope he wins big at Tennessee. I appreciate that he didn't drag the UT process out and got it over with. Taking that job was a no brainer to me, if it or Wisconsin was offered he absolutely had to take it.
    The UC AD gave Butch until this morning to commit to the UC job after granting him permission to speak with Tennessee.

And Puffy, I don't think you need to worry about UC going after Diaco. They don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Alright guys, here is the question.....

What does UC realistically need to do in order to keep coaches around? Is it the stadium? Is it something else? Obviously at this point in time the conference is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The UC AD gave Butch until this morning to commit to the UC job after granting him permission to speak with Tennessee.

And Puffy, I don't think you need to worry about UC going after Diaco. They don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 defense.
    I hear the OC from Michigan State might be candidate. Pat Narducci I believe is name.

I think Kerry Coombs should get job. But that might be just because I like his last name
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I think Kerry Coombs should get job. But that might be just because I like his last name
    If Kerry Coombs is as good of a coach as Jim Coombs is a baseball player, UC will be celebrating many BCS Championships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Alright guys, here is the question.....

What does UC realistically need to do in order to keep coaches around? Is it the stadium? Is it something else? Obviously at this point in time the conference is an issue.
    We need to play at PBS and find a way to get more fans to attend. Pitt does this and it works out well for them. Then obviously we need to find a way to get into a more stable conference. I have faith it will eventually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If Kerry Coombs is as good of a coach as Jim Coombs is a baseball player, UC will be celebrating many BCS Championships.
    In a single season.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

We need to play at PBS and find a way to get more fans to attend. Pitt does this and it works out well for them. Then obviously we need to find a way to get into a more stable conference. I have faith it will eventually happen.
    There's one big difference: Pitt gets to deal with the Rooney family. We get Mike Brown. And Pitt has had their fair share of attendance issues at Heinz field. They guilty of announcing crowds of 50,000+ when only half that many are present.

I want to see what the plan for Nippert is before I judge if it's a worthy investment. That being said, I'm going to continue my season tickets even if they move their games to a Kroger parking lot. Regardless, the plan moving forward has to be a total commitment to either an expanded and refurbished Nippert or PBS. They cannot choose a combination of both. Nippert costs too much to maintain for two games per year, and UC can't control stadium advertising if they're a part-time PBS tenant.
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's one big difference: Pitt gets to deal with the Rooney family. We get Mike Brown. And Pitt has had their fair share of attendance issues at Heinz field. They guilty of announcing crowds of 50,000+ when only half that many are present.

I want to see what the plan for Nippert is before I judge if it's a worthy investment. That being said, I'm going to continue my season tickets even if they move their games to a Kroger parking lot. Regardless, the plan moving forward has to be a total commitment to either an expanded and refurbished Nippert or PBS. They cannot choose a combination of both. Nippert costs too much to maintain for two games per year, and UC can't control stadium advertising if they're a part-time PBS tenant.
    I don't know the ins and outs about the finances of getting games to PBS, but I know the limitations of Nippert. A renovation would obviously help, but the one flaw that isn't gonna change is that there just isn't enough room. It could be a lot nicer for what it is, a small football stadium. If that is going to be our plan moving forward it's better than nothing I suppose.

I guess I just feel like PBS would help a whole lot when it comes to attracting bigger conferences. I know the chances are slim though.

I guess I just feel like PBS would help a whole lot when it comes to attracting bigger conferences. I know the chances are slim though.
    In terms of facilities, PBS is still probably the preferable option over a refurbished Nippert. It's just there's a bit more to it than that. Either option is an improvement, and UC appears committed to executing on facilities improvement. That's the biggest development of all.

And on a related note, the Shoe needs desperate attention. If committing to PBS means that Nippert money could be moved to basketball facilities, then that option becomes that much more attractive. If they're going to throw $150 at facilities, it may be best served with a new downtown arena similar to the Yum Center (just without its PBS-esque boondoggle financial arrangement).
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-07-2012 at 02:39 PM.

It seems like the ridiculous sweetheart deal Mikey got for PBS should somehow give UC an in to getting a good deal there for their games...

Turn Off Ads?