Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if I'm clear, are there some of you who if managing the Reds, don't tell BP to knock off the tweeting during games?
    It doesn't bother me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It doesn't bother me.
    I really doubt it affects his play, but I think there is a good chance it would piss off his teammates. The only way I'd allow it is if I either asked or believed that the vote was 24-0 in the clubhouse that he can do it. If even 1 guy is bothered, you can't allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Missed this piece the other day. 8 potential landing spots for Phillips

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...andon-phillips
    Was kind of worth missing, not much more than we discuss here. Not to mention he was wrong, BP didn't call his contract itself a slap in the face, it was how he thought it was handled leading up to it. Real journalism is dead, its all glorified bloggers now.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It doesn't bother me.
    He's tweeting you?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Alright, we're 35 pages into this thread and I still don't understand why Paul Daugherty wrote about Brandon Phillips' relationship status.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So if I'm clear, are there some of you who if managing the Reds, don't tell BP to knock off the tweeting during games?
    I'd ban electronic devices in the dugout, but baseball is a long season and a slow game. A certain amount of relaxation and distraction is necessary if you don't want to burn yourself out.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He could be watching the pitcher, in the clubhouse watching tape of his last at bat, discussing game strategy, discussing the pitcher with other hitters etc.

You know how texts in the dugout? The guy who lolly gags down the first base line. The guy how makes bad baserunning mistakes because of a lack of thought. The guy.... oh wait.

You know who doesn't have the right to complain about the size of his contract relative to other guys? The guy texting in the dugout.
    The guys that don't text also sometimes lollygag and complain about their contracts.

Anytime Cincinnati gets a player that speaks his mind, the fans pretty much turn on him. And yes, this includes Arroyo, who was hated for awhile for saying he enjoyed Boston and might want to go back there someday.

Jojo, have you ever had a personal email at work? Made a personal phonecall during workhours? Thought you were underpaid? All of us have, because we're human, and not machines that focus 100% effort on our jobs during working hours.

Phillips' only mistake was being approachable to fans/media. The one thing he could learn from Votto is to avoid commenting on anything. And then when asked, Votto gives a nice cliche answer. I'm not complaining about Votto. I think he's smart. Why risk saying something about Price or Dusty that the media can twist and contort to stir up drama?

Phillips plays a lot when hurt. He has fire and wants to win. He took responsiblity and said the team choked this year, as opposed to just shrugging things off and saying "oh well, we did win 90 games, that's pretty good"..
    Last edited by REDREAD; 10-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

9. Likes:

M2 (10-25-2013),Todd Gack (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Phillips' only mistake was being approachable to fans/media. The one thing he could learn from Votto is to avoid commenting on anything. And then when asked, Votto gives a nice cliche answer. I'm not complaining about Votto. I think he's smart. Why risk saying something about Price or Dusty that the media can twist and contort to stir up drama?
    Apologize for pushing this thread off topic perhaps, but I have to disagree with your quoted part above. In my opinion, Joey Votto has given some of the most thoughtful, non cliché laden interviews I've heard, certainly from Reds players and if not in most of professional sports. He may not have the outward charisma or energy of a Phillips, but he doesn't rattle off trite non-answers during interviews very often.

Please resume...

Edit- I see you may have just been referring to Votto speaking (or not) on the Dusty firing, Price hiring instead of commenting broadly. If so, my mistake.
    Last edited by Fil3232; 10-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Apologize for pushing this thread off topic perhaps, but I have to disagree with your quoted part above. In my opinion, Joey Votto has given some of the most thoughtful, non cliché laden interviews I've heard, certainly from Reds players and if not in most of professional sports. He may not have the outward charisma or energy of a Phillips, but he doesn't rattle off trite non-answers during interviews very often.
    Seconded. Bruce is the one that sounds like he spent too much time with George Grande at the rookie career development program. Very well versed in the cliches. Votto's interviews are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The guys that don't text also sometimes lollygag and complain about their contracts.

Anytime Cincinnati gets a player that speaks his mind, the fans pretty much turn on him. And yes, this includes Arroyo, who was hated for awhile for saying he enjoyed Boston and might want to go back there someday.

Jojo, have you ever had a personal email at work? Made a personal phonecall during workhours? Thought you were underpaid? All of us have, because we're human, and not machines that focus 100% effort on our jobs during working hours.

Phillips plays a lot when hurt. He has fire and wants to win. He took responsiblity and said the team choked this year, as opposed to just shrugging things off and saying "oh well, we did win 90 games, that's pretty good"..
    We've heard several players praise the Price hire because he will hold players accountable. Apparently farting around and texting chicks during a game and such are things that matter.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Seconded. Bruce is the one that sounds like he spent too much time with George Grande at the rookie career development program. Very well versed in the cliches. Votto's interviews are fantastic.
    Votto was great yesterday on Lance's show. Actual relevant answers to questions instead of "taking it one game at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd ban electronic devices in the dugout, but baseball is a long season and a slow game. A certain amount of relaxation and distraction is necessary if you don't want to burn yourself out.
    But what did they do pre cell phones? They did silly things, like playing pranks on assistant coaches and they hit on girls in the stands. They goofed off and acted like the grownup children they are.

I am somewhat uncomfortable with the targeting of Phillips for his outspoken ways and his willingness to wear his emotions and his opinions on his sleeve. I'm reminded of similar reactions to other players, Davis and astonishingly one of the Reds most loyal players ever, Barry Larkin, who were received rather coolly in Cincinnati, when Pete Rose, one of the biggest idiots to come out of Cincinnati sports remains a hometown hero. It's hard to separate color from the equation and I don't mean to accuse anyone of it here, but as a long time Reds fan, it's tough to deny that players have not always been held to the same standard.

Honestly, with Votto I occasionally worry that he is a little too cerebral. Sometimes a guy just needs to channel his inner Lenny Dykstra; maybe Joey could benefit a little from getting his head clear and taking some whacks. See the ball, hit the ball, you know?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

16. Likes:

Chip R (10-26-2013),dubc47834 (10-26-2013),M2 (10-26-2013),marcshoe (10-28-2013),REDREAD (10-28-2013),RichRed (10-26-2013),Rojo (10-26-2013),The DARK (11-08-2013),Todd Gack (10-27-2013)

From MLBtraderumors:

* "It's no surprise that Pablo Sandoval's name that been floated in trade rumors, MLB.com's Chris Haft writes. Sandoval will hit free agency after the 2014 season and the Giants have questions about the Panda's consistency at the plate and his physical conditioning. Haft opines that Sandoval would draw a lot of attention on the trade market and he could be dealt for starting pitching or perhaps a second baseman (as Marco Scutaro would take over at third base)."

I know some really don't like him. But, it would free up long term cash for Choo. Plus, he's 27 and on the verge of free agency. If there would ever be a year to get into shape for Pablo it would be 2014. Plus, you could keep Frazier for left or as a super utility role if Ludwick plays like it's 2012.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 10-26-2013 at 02:02 PM.

I'd take Panda in a heartbeat if I thought he could could lose 30 pounds and keep it off, and not be subject to fall into a diabetic coma at any time during a game.

I hope we are basing this roasting session on more than one poster who knew a guy who knew a girl who allegedly received a Twitter message from BP's ACCOUNT during a game

20. Likes:

MWM (10-26-2013),New Fever (10-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?