Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: World Series Discussion

Re: World Series Discussion

George knows far more about umpiring than most of us. That doesn't make him right here, but at least hear him out.

George the floor is yours.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Good point earlier. If Craig is not impeded in anyway, he scores right?
    Maybe. I don't know that it's a slam dunk though.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Red Sox have no one to blame but themselves. It never should have gotten this far. Really poor managing by Farrell. This doesn't speak well of Price's managering skill if this is what to expect from pitching coaches turned manager.
    I don't know why they didn't dispute the 'hbp' of Beltran. That looked questionable to me.

Regardless, I don't think anything Farrell does should reflect on Price. Just because they're former pitching coaches doesn't mean they'll be mirror images of each other as managers.

I'll wait to hear what more of the rules experts say about this. I'm doubting this is a black and white thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    George knows far more about umpiring than most of us. That doesn't make him right here, but at least hear him out.

George the floor is yours.
    George is absolutely correct about this incident. It isn't even a difficult call (though the uproar on the internet says otherwise).

Edit: intent or what would have happened doesn't matter. Read rule 7 on the MLB website, it is clear cut.

7. Likes:

Beltway (10-27-2013),jojo (10-27-2013),marcshoe (10-27-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Jim Joyce just lost any good will from the blown no-hitter for Gallaraga. What a total butt. One umpire that lets the umpire mean more than the players. What an idiot. Sorry, but in 55 years of baseball I've never seen that called on a final play. He should have been reprimanded on the Detroit call, and now this. He needs to go back to AAA and forgotten.
    Seriously? It doesn't matter if it's the final play or not. Obstruction is obstruction no matter the situation. It's unfortunate, but the call was correct. Jim Joyce is one of the best umpires in the league, too bad he's known for blowing one call.

9. Likes:

jojo (10-27-2013),Number_Fourteen (10-27-2013),powersackers (10-27-2013)

If Redsox or Reds fans want to be pissed off at a decision, the focus should be on the decision to throw it to third in the first place.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

757690 (10-27-2013),Beltway (10-27-2013),Chip R (10-27-2013),gilpdawg (10-27-2013),Revering4Blue (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'll wait to hear what more of the rules experts say about this. I'm doubting this is a black and white thing.
    Black and white isn't even a "black and white" thing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    George is absolutely correct about this incident. It isn't even a difficult call (though the uproar on the internet says otherwise).
    Its a no brainer.

P.S. I hate the Cards
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Watch it again. Craig had absolutely nowhere to go. He started toward home and was immediately tripped by the fielder.

If Middlebrooke hadn't twice lifted up his legs then maybe there's an argument. But Craig was totally impeded on that play. Obvious call to me.
    I disagree. Craig fell on Middlebrooks, and put his hand on the small of Middlebrook's back, which made his legs come up as Middlebrooks was trying to get up. Bad call IMO.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

15. Likes:

joshua (10-27-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Maybe. I don't know that it's a slam dunk though.

I don't know why they didn't dispute the 'hbp' of Beltran. That looked questionable to me.

Regardless, I don't think anything Farrell does should reflect on Price. Just because they're former pitching coaches doesn't mean they'll be mirror images of each other as managers.
    I hate that that HBP rule never gets called. Hitter is supposed to make an effort to get out of the way and it's never called.

17. Likes:

redsfandan (10-27-2013)

Watched it again. Where is Craig even going? So you can establish a running lane that's both two feet inside the bag and directed towards the home dugout and still garner the World Series game ending obstruction call?

19. Likes:

joshua (10-27-2013),M2 (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    If Redsox or Reds fans want to be pissed off at a decision, the focus should be on the decision to throw it to third in the first place.
    Or why Farrell didn't walk Jay. Why didn't Uehara start the inning? So many questionable moves/non-moves.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I hate that that HBP rule never gets called. Hitter is supposed to make an effort to get out of the way and it's never called.
    Like I said earlier - no elbow guard, no HBP.

But I've watched baseball for years, it wasn't going to be overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post

Edit: intent or what would have happened doesn't matter. Read rule 7 on the MLB website, it is clear cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Seriously? It doesn't matter if it's the final play or not. Obstruction is obstruction no matter the situation. It's unfortunate, but the call was correct. Jim Joyce is one of the best umpires in the league, too bad he's known for blowing one call.
    There's no way to know that things would've happened differently if Middlebrooks had kept laying on the ground. That's the problem for me. Once Middlebrooks fell down the fate of the game was sealed. Guess he just shouldn't have tried to field the ball.

23. Likes:

Superdude (10-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I disagree. Craig fell on Middlebrooks, and put his hand on the small of Middlebrook's back, which made his legs come up as Middlebrooks was trying to get up. Bad call IMO.
    You can say it's a bad rule, but you can't say it's a bad call. They called it exactly as the rule is written.

25. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (10-27-2013),reds1869 (10-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?