Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy finds a new gig

Hal McCoy finds a new gig

Hal McCoy, Extended Version: Received email from Hal McCoy, seemingly retired from the Dayton Daily News, saying after an offseason of courtship he will now be a featured contributor to Fox Sports Ohio this season. Said Hal:

"They are starting a web site and want me to do three columns a week, plus some selective TV work for them. They are also going to send me to spring training for a couple of weeks."

Hal had been negotiating with several media outlets during the offseason, including the Cincinnati Enquirer and MLB.com before accepting a contract role at the Daily News for writing three blogs a week plus his "Ask Hal" column on Sundays. However, if you were accustomed to seeing Hal in one of four daily newspapers or 18 weeklies in the Cincinnati/Dayton area, that ended with his exclusive agreement with the Daily News.

No word on Hal's book about his 37 years covering the Reds, which he promised to write once he retired. But, obviously, he's not really retired. In one way, he's busier than ever.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.../GVZJF9x8Vo%3D

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal McCoy finds a new gig

Good for him. I think writing columns is his forte.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Thrilled he can stay close to the Reds.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

This is good for all involved, imo. Good for FSO, Hal, and us fans.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Nice! He is great on the radio with Marty in the second inning breaking down all the latest rumblings about the team. He will be good on TV. Not everyone needs to be flashy to be good on TV -- Hal will bring the nuts and bolts info that Reds fans will appreciate. Love his brass tacks approach -- straight to the point, no PC BS. They would be smart to have him sit in the booth for one inning every series (roughly every three games). I would personally love that.

Good for Hal, I'm happy for him.

He might not be the best with hard core baseball information but I always find his columns entertaining. A friend of mine calls him the Ronna Barrett of MLB.

Hal became very good, and critical, during the last few months of the year last year. I hope he continues to follow that path. I am looking forward to what Hal can bring to FSN. Without George Grande and with Hal in the fold it may be much more enjoyable to watch the Reds.

I'm glad Hal was able to find work. Looks like he wasn't quite ready to retire.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Any chance Jim Day won't be back?!?
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    Any chance Jim Day won't be back?!?
    I think you meant Jeff Piecoro.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Great news, love Hal. I have no idea why the Dayton Daily News let him go, seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. Papers like that don't deserve to survive.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Great news, love Hal. I have no idea why the Dayton Daily News let him go, seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. Papers like that don't deserve to survive.
    The Dayton paper is basically stale standings with AP and "shared content".

Sometimes the Flyers home games are only covered by AP writers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    They are failing (and they know it). That's why they didn't have the cash to send Hal on the road with the team.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    The Dayton paper is basically stale standings with AP and "shared content".

Sometimes the Flyers home games are only covered by AP writers.
    There was a section in the Sunday Enquirer about Cincinnati and Dayton becoming one big Metro city. I think they were saying by 2012 it will be considered that with the expansion of West Chester there is little undeveloped area between Cincinnati and Dayton anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Enquirer and Dayton Daily News consolidate into one paper within the near future. Both Hal and Chick Ludwig have been let go and the Dayton sports reporters continue to diminish.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Good for Hal, I'm happy for him.

He might not be the best with hard core baseball information but I always find his columns entertaining. A friend of mine calls him the Ronna Barrett of MLB.

Same here. Very happy for Hal and we Reds fans are once again the lucky beneficiaries.

Hey Ron, had to let you know I hadn't seen or heard the name Rona Barrett in many years, LOL! She was a good looking woman and the Mary Hart (unfortunately, I watch too much of the wife's shows- argh!) of the Entertainment TV scene in the 70's and 80's IIRC. Sheesh....Rona Barrett ....I'm (gettin'???) old

Turn Off Ads?