Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Billy Hamilton

If Dee Gordon is really 5-7, I can't imagine he weighs much more than 120.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Another thing to keep in mind for those that don't know: Hamilton was also a standout football player in high school and had signed a full-ride football scholarship with Mississippi State. They are bottom-of-the-barrel SEC, but he was still good enough to sign a football schollie with an SEC school.

That tells me the kid has toughness which is an underrated trait in baseball. Yes, he likely got his football offer based on speed, but you can't be a wuss and play football good enough to get an SEC offer. While I'm concerned about Hamilton's bat, something tells me he will continue to improve and will eventually be a decent Major League second baseman. But he's long way from getting there for sure.

It great to see Billy hitting but I notice that he has stopped taking BBs. One step at a time, I guess.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    If Dee Gordon is really 5-7, I can't imagine he weighs much more than 120.
    I have stood next to Dee Gorgon. He is every bit of 5' 7". I am 5' 9" and was clearly taller.

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    It great to see Billy hitting but I notice that he has stopped taking BBs. One step at a time, I guess.
    Yeah. At a similar time, his teammate Yorman Rodriguez hasn't been hitting, but he has been drawing plenty of walks. With guys who are raw, you look for improvements in weak areas even if stronger areas take a step back for a short period of time.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have stood next to Dee Gorgon. He is every bit of 5' 7". I am 5' 9" and was clearly taller.
    So he's 120 dripping wet.

Good player and I'm sure he'll eventually gain some lbs, but for now he's Michael Jackson size (post 'fro).

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    So he's 120 dripping wet.

Good player and I'm sure he'll eventually gain some lbs, but for now he's Michael Jackson size (post 'fro).
    I don't think he is ever going to really gain any good weight. His frame is incredibly tiny. I just don't see the chance he adds much good weight at all to it.

I don't think he is ever going to really gain any good weight. His frame is incredibly tiny. I just don't see the chance he adds much good weight at all to it.
    I have trouble buying into this completely. I understand some people have better genes than others when it comes to muscle building, but aren't muscles all cut from essentially the same cloth so to speak? If you lift hard and eat right, your muscles are bound to respond to some degree. I don't believe players do much if any hard lifting during the season, so that throws a kink in things, but to say flat out that a player will never add good weight just doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I have trouble buying into this completely. I understand some people have better genes than others when it comes to muscle building, but aren't muscles all cut from essentially the same cloth so to speak? If you lift hard and eat right, your muscles are bound to respond to some degree. I don't believe players do much if any hard lifting during the season, so that throws a kink in things, but to say flat out that a player will never add good weight just doesn't sound right to me.
    Not all muscle is cut from the same cloth. And I will say this, until you see this guy in person and see his frame, you simply won't get what I am referring to. He is built like a 13 year old boy.

From the DDN:

Hamilton streaking: Dragons shortstop Billy Hamilton entered play hitting .319 over his last 18 games, raising his batting average from .195 to .230. Yet somehow, despite leading all of professional baseball with 53 stolen bases, the Reds’ top prospect is not a Midwest League All-Star.
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...s-1187740.html

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Because when you are hitting .200 no matter how many steals you have you aren't all star worthy. Poor writing there. The Dragons certainly had some all star snubs. The best hitting catcher in the league at the time of the announcement was Barnhart who was left off. Drew Hayes has an ERA under 1.50 and didn't make the team. A shortstop hitting .200 isn't a snub.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Yeah, it's pretty absurd for anyone (especially a "journalist") to whine about Hamilton not making the Midwest League all-star team. I'm just glad he's turned around what looked like a horrible season. Very encouraged with the play of BH, Yorman and Juan Duran over the last month.

EDIT: It's also poor writing to say Hamilton is "the Reds' top prospect." He's more like "one of their top prospects." Chapman would be #1, followed by Mesoraco, then Yonder, then Yorman, then Francisco, then Boxberger ... then maybe Billy.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-19-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Turn Off Ads?