Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Basic cable TV

Basic cable TV

Ok Redszoners in the Cincinnati area, I need advice. I just did a search for cable TV but all I came up with was digital, HD advice etc. I just need the most basic cable advice.

I am considering -- CONSIDERING -- getting cable TV. When I moved to Cincinnati almost a year ago, I wanted phone and internet service, no cable. So that's what I got. I have unlimited free long distance and high-speed internet. Ostensibly it was supposed to cost $50 a month but with fees it's always at least 10 bucks more than that, and Cincinnati Bell has been terrible (it took them five months to get my deal correct; I had to call every time I got a bill).

The whole reason I did this was because I was not interested in cable. But with the deals Time Warner appears to have, it kind of looks like I'm getting screwed. Especially since I'm considering -- CONSIDERING -- lightening up on cable, since I waste enough time on the Internet anyway and figure I might as well waste time watching the Discovery Channel or ESPN instead.

The deal currently listed on Time Warner's website is $59.95 for digital cable and phone for one year, plus free Internet access for one year. This sounds quite reasonable to me, ie. basically throwing in cable to what I already have for only a little more than what I'm paying now. But I've never had cable so I want to make sure I know what that means. Is that $59.95 + $25 in fees every month? Is that phone service local only? I will be calling the company but I thought I might be able to glean some knowledge and experience from locals.

A few things to take into consideration:

- I'm in the city (don't know if location makes a difference)
    - I currently have free long distance and I DO use it. I can make some phone calls from my cell phone (I never get close to my limit there) but I'd prefer to have the land line option most of the time. Are long distance rates usually outrageous?
    - What does "digital" mean, technologically speaking? I've been quite aware of the benefits of a land line since September 11; I'm kind of neurotic about it. When the power goes out, does your phone go out? Is digital all that's available anymore? Does anyone ever get phone service from the phone company and cable/internet from TW anymore, or is it no longer a viable option financially?
    - I only need very basic cable. No premium channels, HD, DVR or anything like that.
    - Is the "one year contract" really one year? I can't commit to any more than that. I'd prefer not to commit to a full year, actually, but I don't know if that's an option (is it?)
    - Are there other companies besides Time Warner?

Thanks for any advice you locals can give. As I said, I'll be doing some research on my own, but it kind of makes my head hurt and personal experience is best I think.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Basic cable TV

I've read in more than one place lately about people signing up for bundle deals for cable and phone service and getting bills that are much higher than they expected. Beware of bundles and beware of getting locked in to a bundle for very long.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I have bundled high speed internet, digital phone, and cable (3 regular boxes, 1 HDbox, 1 DVR box) for $150 a month and I'm on month by month (no contract). To me, it seems like I may be paying too much. That and the Big 10 Network thing is really making me reconsider my options right now. Does anyone think Time Warner will pick it up soon?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Does anyone think Time Warner will pick it up soon?
    Not until their customers riot, they don't usually ad new channels right off the bat
    Go Gators!

We have TW for phone, cable, and internet.

Some answers:
    - The phone includes free long distance in the US. Don't know about Canada, PR, etc.
    - Digital phone means it's a digital signal called Voice over IP (VoIP) and not an analog signal. Kind of like the difference between a CD player and a record player.
    - If your power goes out, your phone goes out.

Ask about the free Internet speed. It could be their dial-up and not high-speed broadband-based service, i.e. very slow is free, very fast will cost extra.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Future Reds All Star

posted double for some reason
    Last edited by TeamMorris; 08-16-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Future Reds All Star

I am not up on all the digital stuff either. I believe that service cost more and you have to have a special kind of TV to make it all worth the while but I good be 100% wrong on all!

We have the basic cable through Time Warner and have since we moved to Cincinnati 14 years ago. It's all we want and need. I can't keep up with the shows I like as it is!

Our phone and Internet is through Cincinnati Bell. Zoomtown for Internet. We were having problems with it for a while but come to find out, it was in our phone lines...nothing they were doing. To help save money we do not have a long distance plan. TB got rid of it a couple years ago as she was paying the monthly fee weather we used it that month or not. We now just by phone cards for long distance use. Target has 600 minute cards on sale often for $18.00. 3 cents a minute...not bad!

Just remember, VP, anything is better than WGN on rabbit ears with little green men running around.

They have the same deal in Dayton for $30 more. I'd take it.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    We have TW for phone, cable, and internet.

Some answers:
    - The phone includes free long distance in the US. Don't know about Canada, PR, etc.
    - Digital phone means it's a digital signal called Voice over IP (VoIP) and not an analog signal. Kind of like the difference between a CD player and a record player.
    - If your power goes out, your phone goes out.

Ask about the free Internet speed. It could be their dial-up and not high-speed broadband-based service, i.e. very slow is free, very fast will cost extra.
    Free calls to Canada are included in the Time-Warner service - I am pretty sure Puerto Rico is, as well. All other countries will result in a charge.

- I only need very basic cable. No premium channels, HD, DVR or anything like that.
    Basic cable is available, along with a standard and value tier. I am not sure of the price, as I have everything.
    I have the bundle, and am rather happy with it. I probably pay a bit more, because I have every premium channel under the sun and moon, but I don't have to worry about losing them unless lightening strikes their center (NOTE: A couple of years, a direct lightening strike did cause an outage in the Piqua area a couple of years ago).

We currently have analog cable, but after October it will all be digital. I expect the digital cable will be more expensive.

It's Cox here, and they do still offer an analog package, but I went digital in the spring so I can get Extra Innings.

Diital cable requires a converter box for every TV you want the digital channels on. That's $5/mo/box. Roughly. And there's a "digital gateway" fee of about $10/mo ... just to get the digital signal ... no addition channels from basic.

So, if you want the basic cable, no extra channels, and only one TV, it's $15/mo more, roughly ... to do so.

VP, be sure to ask if the prices they're quoting you are specials for a few months.

Cox is is famous for advertising "get 'insert service here' for only 'insert low price here'!" (and in small print "for the first 3 months.") And you have to ask what the price will be AFTER the special.

They offer those "initial" packages, where you get everything at a discounted price for 3-6 months, because that's the catch - they entice you, you sign on, you enjoy it.... and then 6 months later they tell you what it's REALLY gonna cost you to keep it. And it now jumped from $50/month to $125/month.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

I've done a lot of research. i think my days chained to marty Brenneman may be numbered...
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Thanks so much everyone for the advice.

I've done a lot of research. i think my days chained to marty Brenneman may be numbered...
    Don't sound so thrilled

Turn Off Ads?