Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

Interesting article in this morning's Washington Post about Adam Dunn's transition to First Base. Here's a snippet from the article:
    In his transition to first base this spring, progress has come more slowly than Dunn and the Washington Nationals hoped for. General Manager Mike Rizzo classified Dunn's defense as "a work in progress still." Dunn believes he will be a good first baseman. But he also knows, with less than two weeks remaining before opening day, it hasn't happened yet.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032503544.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn, 1B, A Work in Progress

Would have been much further ahead if he would have worked on it more when he was a Red.

I understand your point, but certainly with the arrival and growth of Joey Votto, the wouldn't have been Dunn's position had we somehow resigned him for last season. Of course, I'm not posting this to reopen that argument either.

I found it interesting to read about his thought process and the Nats outlook and expectations for the transition.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Haunted by walks

For a major-college quarterback, Dunn never seemed to have much of an arm or footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    For a major-college quarterback, Dunn never seemed to have much of an arm or footwork.
    It didn't take that major college long to decide to move him off QB, and to another position. (I think the Longhorns wanted to move him to TE, but I think he would have eventually been a DE.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    To me Dunn always looked like a better athlete than he displayed on the field. I don't know why that is but I do agree with the footwork aspect. He seemed to be sloppy in the footwork aspect, which is surprising for a former college QB.

Dunn always seemed excellent at receiving the ball at 1B -- digging balls out of the dirt, corralling high throws, and generally turning potential throwing errors into outs. He was pretty bad at fielding, but I can tolerate that at 1B if a guy is a good receiver.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Dunn always seemed excellent at receiving the ball at 1B -- digging balls out of the dirt, corralling high throws, and generally turning potential throwing errors into outs. He was pretty bad at fielding, but I can tolerate that at 1B if a guy is a good receiver.
    I agree. How well he receives throws out weighs how he fields bunts or shots down the line.

The key to defense is consistently making the routine plays. The definition of routine plays at the major league level can be anything but routine. The expectations are high.

I've said for a long time that Dunn would be more harmful to his team at 1B than in LF. Like much of the current "wisdom," generalities don't always apply at the micro level. The "defensive spectrum" just doesn't work with Dunn. I understand the mobility issues, but Dunn's primary problem isn't as much mobility as it is iron hands and crummy instincts. His best spot is in LF where there are only 3 or 4 plays per game and no long throws and not a spot where he has to touch the ball double digit times every game. Some guys are just better off in LF than at 1B. I wouldn't want to rely on Manny Ramirez as the guy to complete the out on every IF ground ball and I feel the same way about Dunn. Dunn is one of my favorite players, but he wouldn't be a 1B on my team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Dunn is a DH.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Dunn is a DH.
    Probably. But in the NL he's worse for his team at 1B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was amazed to read that Dunn had to be taught to focus on the hitter instead of watching the pitcher deliver the ball to the hitter first.

Agree with jojo. DH.

Senor Votto

I wanted to see Dunn become a full season DH for a team like the Rangers. I think he would be more dominate if he didn't have to play the field and he could just concentrate on hitting

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I wanted to see Dunn become a full season DH for a team like the Rangers. I think he would be more dominate if he didn't have to play the field and he could just concentrate on hitting
    You may be right, but I think there is just as much chance that he would be bored.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?