Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Commercials

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Favorite Commercials

Sometimes I see a commercial on TV that makes me actually laugh harder than the program I'm watching.

Had one of those moments last night when this gem came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59A0Y7DSD4

Truly surreal and absolutely fantastic.

Any other favorites out there? One of the great aspects of YouTube is that stuff like this gets posted online almost immediately.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Favorite Commercials

I love that commercial you posted. I really can't think of any other commericals I like right now.

As someone who's done quite a bit of TV spot development over the past year, I can tell you that commercial cost the company a boat load of cash to create. And while it's funny, it's not a good ad in the least. I can guarantee you they'll get very little lift from an ad like this one. It happens all the time where a creative presents an idea that's really funny and entertaining and the client falls in love with it because they want to be the one who has that ad shot. They wind up talking themselves into it even though they know it's not going to accomplish the goal an ad is supposed to achieve. This is a great example of that.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    As someone who's done quite a bit of TV spot development over the past year, I can tell you that commercial cost the company a boat load of cash to create. And while it's funny, it's not a good ad in the least. I can guarantee you they'll get very little lift from an ad like this one. It happens all the time where a creative presents an idea that's really funny and entertaining and the client falls in love with it because they want to be the one who has that ad shot. They wind up talking themselves into it even though they know it's not going to accomplish the goal an ad is supposed to achieve. This is a great example of that.
    My mother worked in advertising all her life (actually teaches courses in it now at the university level) -- I was brought up to recognize effective advertising.

Its an awful ad as far as the product is concerned -- couldn't tell you what was being advertised after watching it the first time. Most ads I enjoy are ones that are so off the wall that they barely have anything to do with the product (see the "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker" commercials for Reebok a few years back).

Having said that, I thought it was a fun view.

I love those "dropped calls" commercials from Cingular. I stop what I'm doing to watch them every time, no matter how many times I've seen them. My current favorite is the one with the guy calling to follow up on a date.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I love those "dropped calls" commercials from Cingular. I stop what I'm doing to watch them every time, no matter how many times I've seen them. My current favorite is the one with the guy calling to follow up on a date.
    "I would never make out with my sister"
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    My mother worked in advertising all her life (actually teaches courses in it now at the university level) -- I was brought up to recognize effective advertising.

Its an awful ad as far as the product is concerned -- couldn't tell you what was being advertised after watching it the first time. Most ads I enjoy are ones that are so off the wall that they barely have anything to do with the product (see the "Terry Tate: Office Linebacker" commercials for Reebok a few years back).

Having said that, I thought it was a fun view.
    Yeah, it's fun, but not effective. I don't understand how it could have made it past consumer testing. Any TV spot we shoot goes through strenuous testing where it goes into consumers' homes and is part of a "clutter reel" of TV shows and commercials. When they finish watching they answer a series of specific questions without knowing which spot is the one being tested. The purpose is to try to get a recall, message, and persuasion. This one would test through the roof on recall, but would fall flat on its face in getting the message across and in persuasion. But it doesn't surprise me to see it on air. Ads like that one are tough to pass up. But it won't come close to paying off.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I am a fan of the Geico commercials. My favorite commercial is the Subway commercial where the couple orders extra flabby love handles, thunder thighs, and a badonkadonk butt.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I like the "we're pregnant" and "don't make the same mistake I did" ones.

For those of us who can't access youtube (stupid company firewall)...which commercial is this?

My current fave is the Old Spice commercial with Bruce Campbell singing Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf". Of course, it could have something to do with being a big DD fan in my teen years.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I like the "we're pregnant" and "don't make the same mistake I did" ones.

I like the one where the lady suddenly suspects her boyfriend may be stepping out on her because of the silence. Her pathetic wail is absolutely priceless.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My favorite commercial is the two birds sitting outside on a branch at the back of the house. The home owner goes to answer the door and the birds shut the sliding glass door and then laugh hysterically when the home owner walks right into the sliding glass door. It's a Windex commercial, and it's hilarious.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

14. Likes:

redsfandan (07-06-2013)

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

For years, the Snickers Bar "Great Googly-Moogly" comment always made me laugh.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    For years, the Snickers Bar "Great Googly-Moogly" comment always made me laugh.
    The one where the quarterback thought he was Batman was particularly funny as well.

There are some great Swiffer Wet commercials.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?