Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edwin in the Dominican Winter League...

Edwin in the Dominican Winter League...

Last night...

3-4
    2 HR
    7 RBI

...just food for thought! I hope Edwin has a monster year AND wins a gold glove!
    Last edited by Grounds_Crew; 01-19-2008 at 10:02 AM.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Edwin in the Dominican Winter League...

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    Last night...

3-4
    2 HR
    7 RBI

...just food for thought! I hope Edwin has a monster year AND wins a gold glove!
    a mosnter year would be good since we have so many lefties, and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.
    He probably could win a Gold Glove but not a Gold Arm! :

He's had two walk off home runs I believe too. I went to a game last week and he dropped one.

I get the feeling this will finally be Edwin's year.
    Last edited by Stephenk29; 01-19-2008 at 02:19 PM.

I really like those numbers and if we can get that marked improvement in him at the plate and even a somewhat improvement in the field, I would be more than happy with that. I don't really see Edwin as a gold glover, so just as long as he holds his own and gets better and not stays the same or gets worse in the field, I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    a mosnter year would be good since we have so many lefties, and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.
    He probably could win a Gold Glove but not a Gold Arm! :
    Just curious, how come you don't think BP can do it again? Mind you I wasn't totally sold on BP going into the season, and really I think there are still some questions there, but I think he will put up very, very similar numbers if not a tad better...

There is no way Phillips repeats 30 homers.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    Just curious, how come you don't think BP can do it again? Mind you I wasn't totally sold on BP going into the season, and really I think there are still some questions there, but I think he will put up very, very similar numbers if not a tad better...
    I'll give you two reasons Crazybob:

1. His home runs will decrease. Have you seen the thread on the ORG about just enough/lucky homers? http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64678
    His HR/FB % last year was 15 %, which seems a little high. He had 2 less doubles last year than in 2006 despite 114 less PA's. I think about 7 of his homers from last year will turn into 5 doubles...

2. Next, I expect the BA to come down a bit as the league continues to adjust to his hacking tendencies. His OBP was pitiful, and a lot of his high counting numbers could be attributed to his large number of PA's

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Looks like his 7 RBI have him leading the team with 14 total and he's hitting .308. I really hope he can bring this back to Cincinnati next year. Having two above average right-handed bats would be awesome for next year's team.

Senor Votto

I really hope Edwin has a great season in 2008. Edwin and Phillips are going to be key players at the plate and in the field this year. Both are good at their positions and both are good at hitting I just hope BP repeats what he did last year and Edwin does what he did in the 2nd half of 2007.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Edwin have a terrific season in the Winter League last year?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I really hope Edwin has a great season in 2008. Edwin and Phillips are going to be key players at the plate and in the field this year. Both are good at their positions and both are good at hitting I just hope BP repeats what he did last year and Edwin does what he did in the 2nd half of 2007.
    Team needs to get off to a very fast start also.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Edwin have a terrific season in the Winter League last year?
    I'm not sure HOW he played in Winter Ball last year...I do wonder if his slow start was partly because of fatigue. Maybe it would be a good idea to shut him down a little early and give him a rest before Spring Training starts. I agree that The Reds need Edwin at his best early on.

yes. he was a beast there last year too.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    yes. he was a beast there last year too.
    A lot of the players have success in ST and the various winter leagues and then fall apart in the beginning of the regular season. I think it has a lot to do with the climate change in returning to Cincy. Cincy in April can be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    ...and I have a feeling Brandon Phillips can't repeat what he did last year.
    I remember a lot of people saying that exact same thing last season.

Turn Off Ads?