Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shanahan fired

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Shanahan fired

ESPN

Shanahan Out In Denver
    Broncos owner Pat Bowlen on Tuesday relieved Mike Shanahan of his position as head coach and executive vice president of football operations. Said Bowlen in a statement: "After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Shanahan fired

Didn't see that one coming
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Losing those last three games at the end of the season kind of sealed his fate.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to Gruden in Tampa...both the Bucs and Broncos choked away playoff births big time this year with total collapses at the end of the season.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Didn't see that one coming
    Ya, me too.

Definitely didn't see that one coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Losing those last three games at the end of the season kind of sealed his fate.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen to Gruden in Tampa...both the Bucs and Broncos choked away playoff births big time this year with total collapses at the end of the season.
    I want to say I don't understand any of these firings, but it is the Cowher factor that is leading to these changes. It's not like Shanahan or Mangini lost control of the teams.

Denver would have to be the odds on favorite for Cowher right now if money is not an issue. He would have the best chance at success in Denver with Cutler, Royal, and Marshall leading the offense.

OTOH, Shanahan might be a good fit for the Jets if he decides not to take a break from coaching. He does hold a 5-2 record against Bill Belicheck.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I really dont understand how he lasted that long. Dude has been pretty bad the last few years

He'll be a coach somewhere in a year or two. He just won't be a gm too.

A .500 record over a three-year span in Denver gets you fired.

A .500 record over a three-year span in Cincinnati gets you hailed as the savior of the franchise.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

And fantasy football owners around the world rejoice.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    A .500 record over a three-year span in Denver gets you fired.

A .500 record over a three-year span in Cincinnati gets you hailed as the savior of the franchise.
    When was the last time his teams did anything since Elway retired? 2004?Shanahan got a lot of leeway because of what he inherited and what Elway did for him. As a Raider fan I saw this coming, there was much discontent from Donk fans as the collapse occured thats a tale tale sign to the owner. It was pretty much a forgone conclusion on the Raider/AFCW boards (that I read regularly) that the loser of the SD/Denver game would get canned (maybe both Id say Norv is far from safe if they lay an egg in the playoffs). Sometimes things just get stale.

You all know more about the job Marvin Lewis has done or not done in Cincy, but I think the bigger problem is you got a guy in charge who makes present Al Davis look like the Davis of the 70s. And Brown really helps Marv like Jeff Gilloly helped Nancy Kerrigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

My theory on coaching changes is this: you better have better that you have in line for the job. Cowher isn't going to coach next year (according to Peter King, a proud OU alum), so who is left? My guess is that this was a power play in Denver. Shanahan was bigger than the franchise and the team wanted to get control back.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    My theory on coaching changes is this: you better have better that you have in line for the job. Cowher isn't going to coach next year (according to Peter King, a proud OU alum), so who is left? My guess is that this was a power play in Denver. Shanahan was bigger than the franchise and the team wanted to get control back.
    I wonder if they'll go after Gary Kubiak.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    When was the last time his teams did anything since Elway retired? 2004?Shanahan got a lot of leeway because of what he inherited and what Elway did for him...
    I'm not comfortable defending Shan because I dislike him, but...Elway retired after '98 and the team went 6-10 in '99. In the nine seasons since, they've had only one losing season, 7-9 last year. They went 11-5 in 2000, 10-6 in 2003 and 2004, and 13-3 in 2005. He was there 14 years and had two losing seasons.

I was just comparing how, despite his past success, three seasons of a composite .500 record was reason for major discontent in Denver and any other city that has a legitimate NFL franchise, whereas in Cincinnati it satisfies the owner and keeps the fans excited about next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You all know more about the job Marvin Lewis has done or not done in Cincy, but I think the bigger problem is you got a guy in charge who makes present Al Davis look like the Davis of the 70s. And Brown really helps Marv like Jeff Gilloly helped Nancy Kerrigan.
    Oh, no argument here on that. My comment wasn't really meant as a slam on Lewis as it was on Brown, and as it was to show pity for us Bengals fans. Marvin came in and went 8-8 a few seasons and Bengals fans were so starved for any little measure of success that there was rejoicing.

I'm derailing this thread into a Bengals thread, so I'll shut up now.

I remember when Shanahan's job security was annually in doubt because he couldn't get the Broncos to win in the playoffs. I'm not surprised at all that a non-playoff year was the final straw.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I want to say I don't understand any of these firings, but it is the Cowher factor that is leading to these changes. It's not like Shanahan or Mangini lost control of the teams.

Denver would have to be the odds on favorite for Cowher right now if money is not an issue. He would have the best chance at success in Denver with Cutler, Royal, and Marshall leading the offense.

OTOH, Shanahan might be a good fit for the Jets if he decides not to take a break from coaching. He does hold a 5-2 record against Bill Belicheck.
    I don't know if I would compare Shanahan to Mangini. The Shanahan firing is shocking to me. During his entire tenure he had the Broncos relevant and won two Super Bowls. From what I heard he got in a pissing match with the Bronco's owner and the Bronco's owner won. IMO Mangini was an over rated coach that saw success based upon smoke and mirrors in his first season in NY. There is always a team in the NFL that gets on a roll and makes the playoffs that falls back down to reality the next season. The Browns were a perfect example of that this season. The Jets went all in this season and failed to make the playoffs while the Giants have turned into the dominant team in the NFL. The writing was on the wall for the Mangini when he failed to make the playoffs.

Turn Off Ads?