Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds History

Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds History

Kudos to GoGoWhiteSox over on Sundeck for linking this.

MLB.com is asking fans to select the top single season performances for each team by position. Clink the link below to vote:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/fan_f...x.jsp?c_id=cin

What was your selections?

Mine were:

1B Ted Kluszewski - 1954
    2B Joe Morgan - 1976
    SS Barry Larkin - 1996
    3B Tony Perez - 1970
    OF George Foster - 1977
    OF Eric Davis - 1987
    OF Frank Robinson - 1962
    C Johnny Bench - 1970
    P - Red Lucas - 1930

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds Histor

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Kudos to GoGoWhiteSox over on Sundeck for linking this.

MLB.com is asking fans to select the top single season performances for each team by position. Clink the link below to vote:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/fan_f...x.jsp?c_id=cin

What was your selections?

Mine were:

1B Ted Kluszewski - 1954
    2B Joe Morgan - 1976
    SS Barry Larkin - 1996
    3B Tony Perez - 1970
    OF George Foster - 1977
    OF Eric Davis - 1987
    OF Frank Robinson - 1962
    C Johnny Bench - 1970
    P - Red Lucas - 1930
    Pretty much the same, but I went with Bucky Walters in 1939 as my pitcher knowing all along that his pitching was MVP caliber. Also, I didn't take the time to adjust for ERA, but Sam Crawford's 1901 season may have been better than any of the OF we chose.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Re: Cincinnati Reds All-Time Nine: The Best Single Season Performances in Reds Histor

Dolph Luque, 1923 on the mound for me... and Cy Seymour vintage 1904 has to be in the outfield somewhere.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Well, if defense counts for anything, Heine Groh's 1919 season or Pete Rose's 1976 might give Tony Perez a little run for his money.

As good as he was with the bat that year, Doggie was what we in Latin America call a "spy" (for the other team) in the field.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Lineup
    LF Pete Rose, 1969
    SS Barry Larkin, 1995
    2B Joe Morgan, 1975
    RF Frank Robinson, 1962
    C Johnny Bench, 1972
    1B Ted Kluszewski, 1954
    CF Cy Seymour, 1905
    3B Heinie Groh, 1917

Rotation
    SP Bucky Walters, 1939
    SP Dolf Luque, 1923
    SP Ewell Blackwell, 1947
    SP Noodles Hahn, 1902

Bench
    C Ernie Lombardi, 1938
    IF Tony Perez, 1970
    IF Bid McPhee, 1892
    OF Edd Roush, 1919
    OF Eric Davis, 1987
    OF George Foster, 1977

Bullpen
    SP Paul Derringer, 1939
    SP Jim Maloney, 1965
    SP Jose Rijo, 1993
    RP Clay Carroll, 1970
    RP Rob Dibble, 1990
    RP John Franco, 1988
    RP Danny Graves, 2000
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

No Cy Seymour??

Can't do it without him

Code:
    RUNS CREATED/GAME             YEAR     DIFF   PLAYER   LEAGUE   
    1    Joe Morgan               1976     7.10    11.38     4.28   
    2    Cy Seymour               1905     6.73    11.49     4.76   
    3    Joe Morgan               1975     6.61    11.14     4.53   
    4    Kevin Mitchell           1994     5.45    10.61     5.16   
    5    Frank Robinson           1962     5.19    10.03     4.84   
    6    Mike Donlin              1903     5.09    10.40     5.31   
    7    Ted Kluszewski           1954     4.74     9.87     5.12   
    8    Eric Davis               1987     4.55     9.57     5.01   
    9    Frank Robinson           1961     4.39     9.32     4.93   
    10   Joe Morgan               1974     4.36     8.79     4.43

How in the <masked profanity> did Deion Sanders make the list? I refuse to vote in any poll where his name is listed among the hallowed legends of Reds history.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Well, if defense counts for anything, Heine Groh's 1919 season or Pete Rose's 1976 might give Tony Perez a little run for his money.

As good as he was with the bat that year, Doggie was what we in Latin America call a "spy" (for the other team) in the field.
    What would Adam Dunn have been called? Desaparecidos?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Some forgotten seasons:

Bernie Carbo's rookie season in 1970, with an OBA over .450 and a OPS above 1.000 rates a bench/PH/DH in WS spot.

Jim Maloney's 1963 season was his best.

Danny Jackson's 1988 season has to be included somehwere.

For releivers, Doug Bairs 1978 season of 1.97 ERA and 28 saves, Ted Abernathy's 1967 season of 1.27 ERA, 28 saves and 106 innings, Brantley's 1996 season of 2.41, 44 saves, and Jeff Shaw's 1997 season of 2.38, 42 saves merit consideration. How About Norm Charlton's 1990 season as a swing man?

C-Johnny Bench 1970
    1B-Ted Kluzweski 1954
    2b Joe Morgan
    SS Barry Larkin 1996
    3B Tony Perez 1970
    OF George Foster 1977
    Frank Robinson 1962
    Cy Seymour 1904

Didn't Seymour play in the dead-ball era? That may have had a impact on his numbers.

Griffey, Davis need help for All-Time 9
    Sluggers facing stiff competition to crack Reds outfield

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

09/16/09 12:15 AM ET

CINCINNATI -- It's an opportunity to fill out the ultimate Reds lineup card.

Eric Davis in an outfield with Frank Robinson and Pete Rose? It's possible.

More than 2.6 million votes have been cast since the Sept. 9, 2009, debut of the "All-Time 9s," a platform for fans to debate the greatest single-season performances for all 30 Major League franchises.

Running through Sept. 23, the voting marks the start of the MLB.com/Lineup Card campaign, a gathering place for the posting and never-ending discussion of the greatest past and present lineups.

Here's a look at how the Reds' closest races are shaping up:

Although specific vote totals were not revealed by MLB.com, Davis and Ken Griffey Jr. are currently on the outside looking in for the starting outfield. They have work to do to crack the George Foster, Rose and Robinson trio.

At second base, current Reds cleanup hitter Brandon Phillips is running a distant second to Hall of Famer Joe Morgan. At shortstop, Barry Larkin has a comfortable lead over Davey Concepcion.

And for starting pitcher, which accounts for only hitting statistics, Don Newcombe is leading Red Lucas and Bucky Walters. Newcombe has the lead by 2,500 votes.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

And for starting pitcher, which accounts for only hitting statistics, Don Newcombe is leading Red Lucas and Bucky Walters. Newcombe has the lead by 2,500 votes.
    Hey, let's make the vote worthless, let's make the pitchers ranked by their hitting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Hey, let's make the vote worthless, let's make the pitchers ranked by their hitting ability.
    That's the same thought I had too.

I mean, if we're ranking pitchers by hitting ability, then we might as well just put Micah Owings 2009 season up on the ballot.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

For me, E Davis 1987 easily tops Rose and Foster in the OF.

Davis was an impact glove in the OF that could change games. Davis and Foster were not. Davis best OPS (991) was similiar to Pete's (940). Granted, Rose had him on OBP, but there's no comparison to me. Davis is clearly the better player if you are just judging based on one season.

Same for Foster (1.013 OPS). Davis' glove is better, and clearly makes him the better player.

I don't know enough about Robinson to comment on him vs Davis.

If we were allowed to consider Jr's years in Seattle, he easily makes it too. But his peak year in Cincy? no.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That's the same thought I had too.

I mean, if we're ranking pitchers by hitting ability, then we might as well just put Micah Owings 2009 season up on the ballot.
    The top pinch hitter would carry more weight or be more interesting than the top hitting pitcher.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?