Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Re: 2009 Winter Meetings thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So we haven't brought anything up through our farm and we have nothing that will help us? Yikes, we are a bleak group, aren't we?
    It's more that prevailing wisdom was that the farm was "turned around" and ready for a healthy Indians/Rays/Twins production cycle. So far that train hasn't exactly run on time. I've long argued that the Reds need to start spinning the farm's straw into MLB-caliber gold, but it looks like the Reds are content to sit tight with the kids, who, by and large, are nowhere near ready for primetime.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 12-09-2009 at 05:30 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just read that Harden is signing a one year deal with Texas for $7.5M.

Our farm has producued a lot of talent in the last couple years. You can't build a team solely through the farm, you need trades and free agents too.

In the last few years the farm has produced:

Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce
    Johnny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Brandon Phillips (acquired for a prospect)
    Ryan Hanigan
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Dickerson
    Carlos Fisher

And Zach Stewart was used to trade bait to acquire Scott Rolen.

With others like Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Matt Maloney, Travis Wood, Enerio Del Rosario, and Logan Ondrusek only a phone call away from the majors.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 12-09-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Our farm has producued a lot of talent in the last couple years. You can't build a team solely through the farm, you need trades and free agents too.

In the last few years the farm has produced:

Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce
    Johnny Cueto
    Homer Bailey
    Brandon Phillips (acquired for a prospect)
    Ryan Hanigan
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Dickerson
    Carlos Fisher

With others like Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Matt Maloney, Travis Wood, Enerio Del Rosario, and Logan Ondrusek only a phone call away from the majors.
    Other than Votto, I don't see a single star there (you can't count Phillips). Some nice filler, and it was nice to see Cueto rebound last season instead of heading to the landfill, but that's not a bumper crop. And it's certainly not a bumper crop considering the draft position they've had for the last decade.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

It's incredibly unrealistic to expect every prospect to turn into a star immediately. Jay Bruce looks like a future superstar, and Bailey and Cueto also have star potential. Not everyone develops on the same timeline. Joey Votto was more advanced than the others.

Pertinent to the latest point, Sheldon discusses the Reds farm system.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Pertinent to the latest point, Sheldon discusses the Reds farm system.
    I read this article every offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I read this article every offseason.
    Yeah, but this time it's different. This crop is better than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Yeah, but this time it's different. This crop is better than the others.
    There's one surefire metric to prove a farm's turned around: it's called a division title.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's incredibly unrealistic to expect every prospect to turn into a star immediately. Jay Bruce looks like a future superstar, and Bailey and Cueto also have star potential. Not everyone develops on the same timeline. Joey Votto was more advanced than the others.
    Didn't Joey Votto spend a little more time in the minors than some of these other's ???

Besides Nix, Tevaras, Patterson, Gomes, McDonald, and the Hairstons of the world take up the playing time from the younger players.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There's one surefire metric to prove a farm's turned around: it's called a division title.
    That also would be one surefire metric to prove a front office and cronies, ownership and their manager's were turned around. Hard to believe the farm would show up before getting the front office and cronies, ownership et el right.

Mariners sign Cory Patterson.

Minor League deal with an invite to spring training.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Didn't Joey Votto spend a little more time in the minors than some of these other's ???

Besides Nix, Tevaras, Patterson, Gomes, McDonald, and the Hairstons of the world take up the playing time from the younger players.
    He was drafted around the age of 18 and from my limited observations about how the minor leagues work , it seems like he moved along pretty steadily through the system. The others are all a little younger than him so they came up through the minors a little faster but they still have a lot of potential, just not as much experience yet.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Minor League deal with an invite to spring training.
    Excuse me while I go change my pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Minor League deal with an invite to spring training
    I wonder if he came highly recommended by JoJo and Raisor? I just bet he did.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-10-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Turn Off Ads?