Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacoby Ellsbury

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury

My guess is the Red Sox will spend a big chunk of their newfound PayFlex on Ellsbury and that they suffer severe buyer's remorse at some point in the not-too-distant future. Ellsbury has never been able to sustain success in his career. I wouldn't want to be the team that paid him for a lot of years or that moved a lot of talent to get him.

If he's on the market, I'd let teams fight over him and Josh Hamilton and go after other options.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My guess is the Red Sox will spend a big chunk of their newfound PayFlex on Ellsbury and that they suffer severe buyer's remorse at some point in the not-too-distant future. Ellsbury has never been able to sustain success in his career. I wouldn't want to be the team that paid him for a lot of years or that moved a lot of talent to get him.

If he's on the market, I'd let teams fight over him and Josh Hamilton and go after other options.
    Do you think they can contend next year?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Agree on Ellsbury as a FA. However I'd pay the price mentioned for him as a one year rental.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Do you think they can contend next year?
    The Red Sox?

I'm not sure. It would take huge rebounds from Lester and Buchholz. Add in a step forward for Doubront and a new SP from somewhere else. Then remake the bullpen (possibly with Daniel Bard making a return and Andrew Bailey bouncing back). Then sort out the lineup with Ellsbury coming back strong, a new 1B, a new SS and at least one new OF corner. If all of that happens that team could contend.

The upside for Boston is it has cash. It can buy a lot of talent on the open market, though we saw with the Marlins this year that spending does not equate to winning.

If the core is rotten then it doesn't matter what they add. And if they don't add the right pieces then it doesn't matter if the core rebounds. Basically, a lot can go wrong with the Sox.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yeah, they seem to be still in toppling mode. I'm not sure if I'd rather be the Cubs or Red Sox right now. At least the Cubs are a year ahead in the rebuilding process.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Yeah, they seem to be still in toppling mode. I'm not sure if I'd rather be the Cubs or Red Sox right now. At least the Cubs are a year ahead in the rebuilding process.
    I'd rather be the Cubs.

Theo > Cherington and I'm not a big Theo fan.
    A year ahead in the rebuilding process.
    Some key pieces locked up for the long term. (Castro, Rizzo, Smardzjia)
    Less spoiled fan base.
    Nowhere to go but up.

By comparison, the Sox basically have had nowhere to go but down.
    Go BLUE!!!

I hate to say it, but the Cubs have more of an idea what they're doing now. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a legitimate shot at a World Series in the next decade.

As for Ellsbury, I don't know what direction the Reds will go, but I'm betting they add some offense somewhere. In truth, they need to add a consistent hitter to the lineup as much as they need a leadoff guy. This team's entered new territory now. Look for them to start (or continue) making moves like a contender.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

The Ellsbury injuries, Scott Boros, the Sox having a center fielder (Jackie Bradley) as a top prospect, the Carl Crawford experience, and the need for pitching create a dilemma for Ben Cherington and the Reds Sox.

The Sox don't need one year of Ellsbury. They are unlikely to rebuild and recover enough to contend in the AL East next season. They don't need to gamble a big long term contract on a player who has a history of injuries. Crawford, Lackey, and Matsuzaka should show them that.

They have Jackie Bradley coming and need to get something for Ellsbury...but they probably won't due to injuries and Boras.

Unless Cherington totally drops the ball and offers Ellsbury at pennies on the dollar, the Reds should probably stay clear of the Ellsbury uncertainty.
    Last edited by Spitball; 10-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Also, I would not be surprised to see the Red Sox hold onto Ellsbury until the trade deadline. Right now his trade value is down, and the Sox will want to show their fans they intend to be competitive.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Also, I would not be surprised to see the Red Sox hold onto Ellsbury until the trade deadline. Right now his trade value is down, and the Sox will want to show their fans they intend to be competitive.
    This, I really think they're more likely to try to trade for other teams' 1 year left of fairly expensive contract types, unless they get an offer that's too good to pass up. The last thing they want to do is sign free agents to huge long term contracts, but there's a big gulf between their current payroll obligations and their expected budget.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?