Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Report: Reds Hire Bryan Price

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    The only things he stated specifically was a displeasure for the matchup game. Which if coming from Dusty Baker would have most very uneasy. Also that as a Manager he would have to trust in players to come through in situations. Also a very Baker like philosophy.
    It's one thing for a pitching coach to believe that any pitcher should be able to handle both LH and RH hitters. Come crunch time I have faith that he won't tempt fate too much.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Likes:

RadfordVA (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I believe Prices words were that he thinks stats are important to see where there are "themes". He was mostly vague about it. I'm sure he'll get a chance to answer that question 10 more times this offseason, but I'm pretty satisfied he's going to incorporate numbers into his game.

As for his dislike of the matchup game, maybe that tells you he wants to "grow" a bullpen that is stronger and more versatile in game situations. We'll see what he can accomplish there, but in the end I want Marshall facing a lot, a lot, a lot of lefties next year.

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It's one thing for a pitching coach to believe that any pitcher should be able to handle both LH and RH hitters. Come crunch time I have faith that he won't tempt fate too much.
    Yeah that is my point. Would not make much of the quotes either way right now. Once he gets into the games and late games situations especially his strategies might alter quite a bit. Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the face. So going to reserve excitement or disappointment until those times come.

How do change of the cultural of a clubhouse?
    Anybody got a Fay-to-English dictionary I can borrow?

I love what I'm reading about Price so far. I think I'm excited. Now just figure out the roster and let's get to spring already.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

8. Likes:

malcontent (10-23-2013),mdccclxix (10-23-2013),Norm Chortleton (10-23-2013),Tom Servo (10-23-2013)

I didn't hear it. He did say that he thought match-ups were overdone, and it seemed to me that he meant lefty/righty match-ups.

I don't recall Baker ever overdoing lefty/righty match-ups, at least by my estimation.
    My memory of this is his sometimes using Marshall as LOOGY when he was not. As it has been 5 years since Marshall pitched, however, I could be wrong.

Off topic but shouldn't the Reds be announcing Marshall's surgery soon? (pure conjecture and not based on any prior disclosures)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I get the feeling that Fay types on an IPad and that is the source of the constant typos.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My memory of this is his sometimes using Marshall as LOOGY when he was not. As it has been 5 years since Marshall pitched, however, I could be wrong.

Off topic but shouldn't the Reds be announcing Marshall's surgery soon? (pure conjecture and not based on any prior disclosures)
    He did come back late in the year. Not sure if you are forgetting that.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think you could see that all year on the first one. Not every player of course, but you could see them phoning it in. And Dusty wouldn't want the players to not like him. The last two were about Dusty's style. His way of doing things and his easy going style tended to promote a lack of fire. I mean, how many times did he take losses in stride and how much was that reflected in the players. I hope Price can change that.
    I had the same thought. And what's interesting is that it was in such contrast to a few years back when Phillips was shouting "that's how we do it" (something to that effect) at the All-Star game when somebody took an extra base. Those 2010-11 teams had an energy, a focus. The 2013 team just felt like it was going through the motions.

It seems to me that Dusty excels at bringing an unfocused group of guys together on a personal level. What he struggles with is keeping them together, keeping them focused, when the going gets rough.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

I love what I'm reading about Price so far. I think I'm excited. Now just figure out the roster and let's get to spring already.
    That reminded me of Charlie's campaign commercial on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Charlie Kelly: You got that script I wrote? Grab that script.

Dennis: I've been meaning to speak to you about this. I can't read these words. They're not in the right order.

Charlie Kelly: It's good.

Dennis: I think you might be dyslexic bro. I'm not reading this.

Charlie Kelly: No, no, no, no!

Dennis: I think you might be dyslexic.

Charlie Kelly: Just read it once!

Dennis: Ok... you want me to read the script?

Charlie Kelly: Yes... and action!

Dennis: I'll read the words you wrote. "Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do." This doesn't make any sense!

Charlie Kelly: Alright... then just say whatever you want.

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-23-2013),Tom Servo (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    That reminded me of Charlie's campaign commercial on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
    I'm just impressed Charlie used words, not pictures.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post

Interesting point about Marshall-as-LOOGY.

I'm also very concerned that Marshall may not be 100% for 2014.

With Chapman potentially headed to the rotation, Marshall's injury is one more reason why I would try to pry Alex Wood away from the Braves if possible. Even if they bring back Parra.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Define "worst"
    Worst = least productive
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by junkhead View Post
    As you can see from wRC+, the increase of OBP makes up for the decrease of SLG.

I don't wanna talk about the absurdity of RBI. Just look at the table below.

Votto produced more runs than anybody in NL. He's a No.1 run producer in NL.
    3 Reds in the top 8 and still had issues producing runs in games that mattered

19. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-23-2013),Unassisted (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    True but I think a lot are putting words into Price's mouth because it is what they want to believe. Nowhere in the interview did he say he would use all stats available or even reference "advanced stats". Only said it is a growing part of the game. The only things he stated specifically was a displeasure for the matchup game. Which if coming from Dusty Baker would have most very uneasy. Also that as a Manager he would have to trust in players to come through in situations. Also a very Baker like philosophy.

He may be more inclined to use advanced stats he may not. We should be able to tell a few months into the season. But to those claiming excitement for the hire because he will manage more sabr friendly than Baker are premature. If anything his quotes would have you thinking otherwise.
    Actually, Price used the phrase "statistical analysis" which indicates to me that he understands that it's more than looking at someone's RBIs in a vacuum.

He's a smart individual, he'll have the relevant stats available, but ultimately I'm more interested in his knowledge of baseball which seems to be high; his intelligence, also high. And his judgment and leadership as a manager, which we'll see.

Interesting point about Marshall-as-LOOGY.

I'm also very concerned that Marshall may not be 100% for 2014.

With Chapman potentially headed to the rotation, Marshall's injury is one more reason why I would try to pry Alex Wood away from the Braves if possible. Even if they bring back Parra.
    No way do I want to watch that funky windup anymore than the few times a year that I see the Braves play.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?