Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds.com short article on Homer Bailey

Reds.com short article on Homer Bailey

Bailey scuffling at Triple-A Louisville
    Right-hander having tough time over last three starts in Minors
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- If the Reds ever need rotation help, prospect Homer Bailey's name would likely be part of the conversation. But at the moment, Bailey isn't even near being Triple-A Louisville's best starter.

The numbers from Bailey's last three starts aren't pretty. In 14 1/3 innings, he's 0-1 with a 9.42 ERA, 21 hits allowed, 13 walks and 11 strikeouts.

"I know he's been struggling with his command with the last two starts," Reds player development director Terry Reynolds said on Friday. "Too many balls, too many deep counts. It's something he has to work through."

Bailey had a 2.71 ERA through his first seven starts. Overall, he's 4-4 with a 4.30 ERA.

In his most recent outing on Thursday at Toledo, Bailey worked five innings and gave up five earned runs, five hits and five walks in a no-decision. In the start before that, May 16 vs. Scranton-Wilkes Barre, the 22-year-old right-hander walked six in five innings for a loss.

Meanwhile, Justin Lehr has been solid for Louisville and is 4-2 with a 2.41 ERA in eight starts. Tom Shearn, who went 3-0 as a September callup last season, entered his 10th start on Friday with 6-1 record and a 4.14 ERA.

Lack of control or aggressiveness in the strike zone was a factor in Bailey's being sent down during Spring Training. He was a candidate for a big league rotation spot, but was beat out by Johnny Cueto and Edinson Volquez.

"At this point, it's one of the things mentally he has to get past," Reynolds said. "It's not one certain thing you can point a finger at. He's had streaks like this before where he nibbles around the plate and doesn't trust his stuff.

"He has to get back to where he believes that he has the ability to put pitches in the strike zone that will get hitters out. Like a hitter in a slump, he has to work his way out of it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds.com short article on Homer Bailey

""At this point, it's one of the things mentally he has to get past," Reynolds said. "It's not one certain thing you can point a finger at. He's had streaks like this before where he nibbles around the plate and doesn't trust his stuff."

This was about as much a confirmation as anybody could get that it is all in Homer's head. "Trusting" can be translated into throwing like you can. Consistant 93-95mph heat with times his velocity reaching 96-98.

Hopefully he decides to pitch the way he can and not the way he is. When he made that decision 2 years ago, he made a nice leap up the food chain.

But with that guy, you just don't know.

IMHO, getting raked in AAA is the best thing that can happen to Homer. It might just be the kind of shock therapy he needs to realize he has some work to do.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    IMHO, getting raked in AAA is the best thing that can happen to Homer. It might just be the kind of shock therapy he needs to realize he has some work to do.
    I 100% agree with ya but dag gone, how much shock therapy does this cat need? I am startign to think he wont make it.

Homer is 22. Lets not get carried away. One need only look at Mr. Edinson Volquez to realize sometimes guys just need a bit of time. 22 is very ahead of the curve. I remember what I was like at 22 as well. Not the most mature person out there. You grow up. You focus more. With any luck, he'll turn the corner like Voltron. While there's still a chance he may end up more like Tomko, its far to early to not let him have a chance to find his way.

One other perfect example. Mr. Josh Hamilton. Lost his way as a kid, fell down a path of drug addiction. He at some point, saw the light. Although its an extreme example, it makes my point. Bailey doesn't have the same kind of extreme issues a guy like Hamilton does/did. So there's plenty of reason to believe he will mature as a person and as a professional if just given time.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 05-25-2008 at 02:39 AM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

If I hear Volquez used as a example again, I will scream. Volquez never lost his heater like Homer has(on and off) and consistantly put up power numbers in AAA.

If Homer can't throw above 91-93mph consistantly, he is toast.

Senor Votto

Maybe in September Volquez could talk to Homer about the mental side of pitching. Homer might listen to Volquez since he's having a great year thus far and is where Homer should be. I hope Homer does great in the rest of his outings in Triple A and gets the call in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Maybe in September Volquez could talk to Homer about the mental side of pitching. Homer might listen to Volquez since he's having a great year thus far and is where Homer should be. I hope Homer does great in the rest of his outings in Triple A and gets the call in September.
    Yeah that'll happen. :thumbdown

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    If I hear Volquez used as a example again, I will scream. Volquez never lost his heater like Homer has(on and off) and consistantly put up power numbers in AAA.

If Homer can't throw above 91-93mph consistantly, he is toast.
    Homer hasn't lost his heater. I think people tend to forget that he's simply added a cutter to his arsenal. The cut fastball is the one that's in the lower 90's. His regular hard fastball is still mid to upper 90's. But developing the cutter was one of his objectives at Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Homer hasn't lost his heater. I think people tend to forget that he's simply added a cutter to his arsenal. The cut fastball is the one that's in the lower 90's. His regular hard fastball is still mid to upper 90's. But developing the cutter was one of his objectives at Louisville.
    mid to upper 90's refers to 95 - 97 / 98....from the reports i'm reading it's been low 90's (90 / 91 / 92)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

For the cutter. Yes. He's throwing the cutter MUCH more than the regular fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    For the cutter. Yes. He's throwing the cutter MUCH more than the regular fastball.
    no. i seriously doubt he's throwing a cutter or even a cut-fastball in the low 90's...his straight fastball is in the low 90's

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaFan View Post
    no. i seriously doubt he's throwing a cutter or even a cut-fastball in the low 90's...his straight fastball is in the low 90's
    Wrong. I have watched all of Homer's starts this year but 2. His cutter is working 88-92 MPH. His fastball is working 91-97 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Wrong. I have watched all of Homer's starts this year but 2. His cutter is working 88-92 MPH. His fastball is working 91-97 MPH.
    on MILB tv or live in and in person ?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Milb.tv

Turn Off Ads?