Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Larkin is wanting to come back to Cincy!!

Larkin is wanting to come back to Cincy!!

Larkin's return to Cincinnati bitter and sweet for him

By Matt O'Donnell

Staff Writer

Sunday, July 20, 2008

CINCINNATI — Barry Larkin had mixed emotions about returning to his hometown team, with which he played the entirety of his 19-year baseball career.

Larkin reluctantly left the Cincinnati Reds and retired from baseball at the end of the 2004 season after then-general manager Dan O'Brien did not offer him a contract.

Although he had the opportunity to play with the St. Louis Cardinals, Larkin took a job in the Washington Nationals' front office, where he has spent the past three seasons.

He made his first official post-retirement appearance in Great American Ball Park on Saturday, July 19, to be inducted into the Cincinnati Reds' Hall of Fame along with outfielder Cesar Geronimo, pitcher Joey Jay and front office executive Garry Herrmann.

Larkin received the loudest and longest ovation out of any of the current or former Reds' Hall of Fame inductees, which included Johnny Bench, Tony Perez and Davey Concepcion.

"It's bitter and it's sweet," Larkin said before the on-field ceremonies. "The hardest thing that I had to do was leave knowing that I wasn't coming back. It's been a great thrill for me to come back in this capacity."

Larkin was drafted by the Reds out of the University of Michigan in 1985 and made his Reds' debut in 1986. In his career Larkin hit .295 with 198 home runs, 960 RBIs and 379 stolen bases.

He won nine silver sluggers, three gold gloves and was named the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1995. He was also an integral part of the 1990 World Series championship team.

"I saw a lot of potential in him," Concepcion said. "He kept up the tradition of Dave Concepcion, Leo Cardenas and Roy McMillan."

Although he has switched organizations for the first time in his professional career, Larkin said he has stayed loyal to the Reds.

He has worn Washington National shirts, windbreakers and pants, but said the he has never worn another uniform.

When asked if he ever thought about returning the Reds, Larkin did not hesitate.

"There has been plenty of thought about coming back," Larkin said. "I never envisioned leaving Cincinnati at all, at any point.

"The opportunity just hasn't presented itself yet. I've been working with the Nationals for the last three years, but my contract is up at the end of the year, so I'll be a free agent."

Team owner Bob Castellini has been a strong advocate of bringing back former players in the past. And count second baseman Brandon Phillips as one of those hoping that Larkin returns.

"It'd be like a dream come true," Phillips said. "Just to ask him questions, pick his brain whenever I see him. It'd just be a beautiful thing."
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Larkin is wanting to come back to Cincy!!

I really wish we had more players like Barry Larkin and I have been a big fan since he first came up to the big club, but tonight was just rediculous.

I've always known that Larkin had an ego, but it's enormous. He took a long time to thank everyone but the parking garage attendants. That's in stark contrast to Joey Jay (another of my childhood heroes) and Caesar Geronimo, who simply thanked the fans and the city of Cincinnati.

I have to believe he was lobbying for a job. His contract is up and he wants to come home. I'm sure Bob C will do just that and that would be good. Just don't give him the microphone again. It might take hours for him to announce a trade or a firing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I really wish we had more players like Barry Larkin and I have been a big fan since he first came up to the big club, but tonight was just rediculous.

I've always known that Larkin had an ego, but it's enormous. He took a long time to thank everyone but the parking garage attendants. That's in stark contrast to Joey Jay (another of my childhood heroes) and Caesar Geronimo, who simply thanked the fans and the city of Cincinnati.

I have to believe he was lobbying for a job. His contract is up and he wants to come home. I'm sure Bob C will do just that and that would be good. Just don't give him the microphone again. It might take hours for him to announce a trade or a firing.

I was sitting out in RF and in the top of the 1st a fan yells at Jr., "Hey, Jr., when you get into the HOF, don't make your speech too ling." Jr. threw his head back and laughed and said, "Yeah, it won't be very long."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Wow I hav'nt watched it yet and I did'nt know that he done that tonight.Im going to go check it out now and see how he acted but I really would like to see him in a reds uniform again along with alot more former reds players.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Haunted by walks

How about as broadcaster?

The length of the speech didn't bother me too much; he could have talked for 45 minutes and I wouldn't have cared much. I also really liked what he mentioned about the Stowe family, especially having Bernie Stowe come on out and be recognized. After all, Bernie Stowe has been making sure that no other player has been handed #11 even though Larkin's number isn't officially retired.

I did think it was odd that he mentioned a guy from Nike and Wilson, for whatever reason.

By the way, how about that national anthem tonight? That guy gave Roseanne a run for her money.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    The length of the speech didn't bother me too much; he could have talked for 45 minutes and I wouldn't have cared much. I also really liked what he mentioned about the Stowe family, especially having Bernie Stowe come on out and be recognized. After all, Bernie Stowe has been making sure that no other player has been handed #11 even though Larkin's number isn't officially retired.

I did think it was odd that he mentioned a guy from Nike and Wilson, for whatever reason.

By the way, how about that national anthem tonight? That guy gave Roseanne a run for her money.
    I agree, the rest I just dismissed as being nervous with public speaking, which can be tough for any of us.

I didn't see the point of thanking the Nationals front office, especially naming them individually. What exactly did that have to do with tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I didn't see the point of thanking the Nationals front office, especially naming them individually. What exactly did that have to do with tonight?
    Being nice to his current bosses, raise anyone?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Being nice to his current bosses, raise anyone?
    Job security.

Politics, trying to be diplomatic.

If you remember how he left, going into the stands and taking his bows there with half his uniform on. There is some bitterness there at the Reds at the time. He didn't want to leave. I have to respect him for wanting to be a Red and not wearing another uniform. His career was over and he took the job because he was lured by Leatherpants to "shove it" to the Reds. I think he regrets that now, but not enough lelt it go. He'll be back in some capacity someday, but that was not necessary.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Yes,
    That was an awkward part in his transition in the speech, he could have omitted that. Plus I think I heard him thank, GM, John Allen, , That is why I chalked it up to being nervous with the public speaking.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Yeah, the mention of Nike & Wilson was odd -- especially the bit about taking his family on exotic trips. Not exactly what I'd call worthy of mention in a Hall of Fame speech, but it IS his speech and he should get to do whatever he wants.

I also wasn't a big fan of taking a shot at Reds management in the speech by thanking the Nationals and Jim Bowden for giving him a job after his playing days had ended; the implication being that the Reds hadn't done that, so Thank You Washington for stepping up to the plate in their stead.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Not that he cares what I think, not sure anyone cares what I think, I didnt agree with some of the things he did towards the end of his career (leaving early at the end of the last game of Trader Jack's tenure even though youre the captain of the team comes to mind) but his overall tenure with the Reds was classy and he represents Cincinnati very very well and he's a class act who deserves to be in the MLB hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Not that he cares what I think, not sure anyone cares what I think, I didnt agree with some of the things he did towards the end of his career (leaving early at the end of the last game of Trader Jack's tenure even though youre the captain of the team comes to mind) but his overall tenure with the Reds was classy and he represents Cincinnati very very well and he's a class act who deserves to be in the MLB hall of fame.

Well said.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?