Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Lin

Re: Jeremy Lin

20 points on 8-24 shooting. 8 assists and 6 turnovers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As a Knicks fan, Lin has brought this dying season back to life. The hype is a little odd. On last night's broadcast they said that the attendance in Minnesota was the fourth largest ever in that building for a TWolves game.

A few things of note:

- It was reported that Melo urged D'Antoni to give Lin some playing time. Melo was actually serving as a d-facto 'point-forward.'

- Lin will not last long if he keeps playing 38 minutes a night. He was gassed in the second half last night, shooting 1-9 in the second half after going 7-12 in the first half. Not surprising as a road game the night after a very tough battle against the Lakers. Teams have taken to "roughing him up" a bit on fouls to get him off his game.

- I'm not surprised to see a kid who the scouts missed develop into a decent player. Look at past drafts to see how many "can't miss" players actually do miss. It stands to reason that there are players that scouts ignore that probably can play. Lin is just lucky to have received an opportunity, and then make the most of it.

- The Knicks 5-game win streak is also due to a commitment to defense. Lin, Fields, Shumpert, Jeffries and Chandler are the Knicks best defensive players. When Amare and Melo come back, it will help the Knicks offense, but weaken their defense.

All in all, it's exciting to see D'Antoni's system work with a real point guard. It will be interesting to see Lin work with Amare (should bring STAT back to life with a guy who can run the pick and roll) and Melo (in theory, this should work because he'll get some open looks). Lin won't have to chuck 20 shots a night up and could settle into a 12-15 point - 8 assist guy.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Agree with the post above, with the condensed season I don't think he has the conditioning to be playing almost 40 minutes a night with a lot of 3 games in 3 nights, or 4 in 5 or whatever.

I don't follow the Knicks closely or anything, but it would appear that Lin and Amare are a match made in heaven. His most productive years were with Steve Nash in D'Antoni's offense. Now I'm not so sure how Melo will mesh without having the ball as much, but that appears to be more of an issue for Melo to have to deal with, not the team. They're winning this way so he's gonna have to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Melo was actually leading the team in assists per game, so I wouldn't be concerned about him meshing with Lin. That stated, we can certainly question the mega-deal which brought C.A to NY last year...The Knicks payed through the teeth for him. Then again, if Raymond Felton hadn't been dealt in the aforementioned deal, the Lin story never materializes in New York.

IMHO, it's nice to see the Knicks relevant again if they can keep it up--this stated by a Pacers fan.
    It's not the number of shots or assists from melo, it's that he dominates the ball, that wont work with Lin. But I hadn't heard that melo was pushing for Lin to play, perhaps melo doesn't want to handle the ball as much as he has. He can still get his 25 shots with Lin doing the ball handling. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Love the story and the player! I wonder what baseball's equivilant of Linsanity would be?

Is it even possible for a baseball player to come out of nowhere, do something, and sell out stadiums in other cities?

Maybe Fernandomania is the closest baseball could come to this?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Love the story and the player! I wonder what baseball's equivilant of Linsanity would be?

Is it even possible for a baseball player to come out of nowhere, do something, and sell out stadiums in other cities?

Dontrelle Willis had a big following his rookie year. Not sure if he was selling out other stadiums, but, I don't know how much easier it is to sell out 15,000 than 40,000 (prices come into play, an NBA ticket is more expensive than an MLB ticket).

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think one big difference between the two is their college career. Tebow played major college football and was the best player if you go by his Heisman Trophy. Lin is more like Ryan Fitzpatrick than Tim Tebow
    Lin made SI during his time at Harvard. He was talked about as a very good player during his senior season at Harvard.

I will admit that I detest the NBA but have found my interest peaked by Lin. I may check in to SportsCenter too see how he did. Right now Lin is living the life, he is a sudden star in NY and just guaranteed him another couple of years in the NBA. And oh yea, he has a Harvard degree to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dontrelle Willis had a big following his rookie year. Not sure if he was selling out other stadiums, but, I don't know how much easier it is to sell out 15,000 than 40,000 (prices come into play, an NBA ticket is more expensive than an MLB ticket).
    Social media plays a big role, too. Dontrelle didn't have that. Bryce Harper certainly will cause a big buzz, but his success is expected.

Chris Sabo, with his goggles and style of play, sort of burst on the scene with the Reds and was known nationally when he was a rookie. But baseball, with its minor league system, makes it much harder for an "unknown" to really be a big surprise. I guess you could say Fidrych and Joe Charboneau were two guys in the 70s that transcended their teams, and that was before ESPN.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post

IMO, baseball had something much bigger than Linsanity back in the 70s. And half the Linsanity pub is due to it being the New York market. Think 70s baseball for a minute. See if you can come up with it.

You guys are showing your youth. Mark Fidrych, may God rest his soul, was 10x bigger than the garbage going on in the NBA. Dude was something else.

Looks like he's doing quite well. However, if he played for the Indiana Pacers instead of the New York Knicks, there wouldn't be quite this amount of attention being paid to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    You guys are showing your youth. Mark Fidrych, may God rest his soul, was 10x bigger than the garbage going on in the NBA. Dude was something else.
    You let me have my youth dang it! It is all I have going for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You let me have my youth dang it! It is all I have going for me.
    Every now and then they show a game on ESPN classic or MLB network, it was a Saturday game of the week where he pitched against the Yanks. It's great stuff, talking to the baseball, etc.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

The Linsanity continues...

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    The Linsanity continues...
    Unreal.

Turn Off Ads?