Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liriano v. Latos

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Liriano v. Latos

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think in a high stress situation Homer is the pitcher to go with. Latos attempts to be too perfect in big time games.
    Presumably this is based on 1 start?

Latos shut out Pittsburgh last year in the first game of a 3 game series shortly after the all star break that propelled us into first place forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Latos shut out Pittsburgh last year in the first game of a 3 game series shortly after the all star break that propelled us into first place forever.
    No, I am not basing my opinion off of one start, but it appears as if you are basing the success of the 2nd half of the season in 2012 on one start.

In my opinion Homer excels in high pressure situations, and Latos has a tendency to attempt to be too perfect and sometimes it bites him.

It's just my opinion.

Out of curiosity.... when does trying to be perfect make you a liability?

Not sure what you mean by that.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Homer's given up something like 27 runs in 14 career appearances against PIT.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    Out of curiosity.... when does trying to be perfect make you a liability?

Not sure what you mean by that.
    I assume he meant always trying to make the perfect pitch and strike everyone out. Sometimes he tends to run up pitch counts early when he does not go right after them and trust his fastball to get outs early in counts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It's when no one sees the serpent that he strikes the hardest.
    The Diamonbacks are not making this post season.

Wacha wacha wacha.

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I assume he meant always trying to make the perfect pitch and strike everyone out. Sometimes he tends to run up pitch counts early when he does not go right after them and trust his fastball to get outs early in counts.
    Exactly, sometimes in pressure situations Latos will attempt to paint the corners and it drives up his pitch count, or he gets frustrated and gives up a gopher ball. I really like Latos and think he is turning into a top flight starter. I just like Homer more for a 1 game playoff against the Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Exactly, sometimes in pressure situations Latos will attempt to paint the corners and it drives up his pitch count, or he gets frustrated and gives up a gopher ball. I really like Latos and think he is turning into a top flight starter. I just like Homer more for a 1 game playoff against the Pirates.
    Gotcha I wouldn't necessarily characterize that as trying to be perfect but know what you mean.

These top pick, high ceiling, young pitchers really seem to come to the majors just in love with strike outs. Don't get me wrong... they are great .... but I'd rather you mix it up a bit... trust your teammates to back you up and pitch to contact a little bit more. Games are easier on pitchers that way, you can go deeper into games, and you can throw less pitches.

On that note, I agree.... Latos every out does not have to be a SO. I'd favor a 1 pitch ground out over a 3+ pitch strike out any day of the week.

I just wanted to come over here, BEFORE the game, and wish you guys good luck. I think this should be a good series. Whatever happens, as a Pirate fan, this has been the most fun baseball season I've ever experienced. I hope it lasts at least a little bit longer.

11. Likes:

Brisco (09-21-2013),mth123 (09-20-2013),REDREAD (09-20-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (09-20-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Good luck IABucFan. I just hope we see some really well played baseball. A Reds win is the icing on the cake.

Turn Off Ads?