Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the WAR war over?

Is the WAR war over?

One of the biggest critiques about the Wins Above Replacement metric has been the difference in how it is calculated by various sites, most notably Fangraphs (fWAR) and Baseball-Reference (rWAR).

As Tom Tango likes to say, WAR is a framework, not a single stat. WAR is a model that attempts to estimate a reality that cannot be measured directly. The choices each site has made in how they calculate WAR are both defensible and have their strengths and weaknesses.

However, according to a tweet by Rob Neyer, the WAR war may be coming to a close.

robneyer
    In today's Crazy Big Nerd News, FanGraphs and Baseball-Reference.com have agreed to standardize Replacement Level. #SABRanalytics
    I don't know if it's true, but if it is, I'm fascinated to find out how they've resolved their differences.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

wolfboy (03-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the WAR war over?

"It's not over until WE say it is!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

5. Likes:

Cursh14 (03-09-2013)

Yes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Ben Zobrist is a sure fire HOF if WAR was greatly accurate.

9. Likes:

OGB (03-09-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Ben Zobrist is a sure fire HOF if WAR was greatly accurate.
    Actually, he wouldn't be close. In his career, Zobrist has had 3 real good years. He is going to be 32 this season.

I think this says it all with emphasis on the N word:
    In today's Crazy Big Nerd News...

I was really sweating the outcome of that one...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know if it's true, but if it is, I'm fascinated to find out how they've resolved their differences.
    And perhaps more importantly, how they will resolve them in the future.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I hope they both decided to go with fWAR, because if they are going with rWAR, I will stop using it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I hope they both decided to go with fWAR, because if they are going with rWAR, I will stop using it.
    I've just been assuming they are, for the reason you stated. Hopefully I'm not being naive.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Mr. Baseball-Reference, tear down this wall!

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I'm really glad that they've come to a deal on this. It was annoying to argue with people about WAR and the random person would say "it's an invalid stat because there's multiple ways different websites calculate it". That is a silly argument but it's one less silly argument for the eye test crowd to use against WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm really glad that they've come to a deal on this. It was annoying to argue with people about WAR and the random person would say "it's an invalid stat because there's multiple ways different websites calculate it". That is a silly argument but it's one less silly argument for the eye test crowd to use against WAR.
    The problem people had with the validity of WAR was that the WARbr and WARbp were two different stats yet they weren't often treated as such. People rarely stated which WAR they were referring to. You'd think fans of WAR would be fastidious about accuracy and not be so loose with their stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The problem people had with the validity of WAR was that the WARbr and WARbp were two different stats yet they weren't often treated as such. People rarely stated which WAR they were referring to. You'd think fans of WAR would be fastidious about accuracy and not be so loose with their stats
    Was there some confusion among those uninitiated to sabermetrics? Sure. But I don't know anyone who used them interchangeably and frankly in the few cases on Redszone where those involved in a discussion were using different varieties, the confusion was quickly sorted out.

The criticism that people played fast and lose with WAR is poppycock.
    Last edited by jojo; 03-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?