Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: 2010 MLB draft

Re: 2010 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So Brentz and Castellanos drop out of the 1st, not hardly. They will both be gone by 20th overall. Frankly I hope we take Castellanos but Brentz I can live with too as a quick comer in LF. Castellanos being a possible Troy Glaus in the pipeline, for when Rolen is done.
    Castellanos goes 22nd in the BA Draft that Gallen posted?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Grandal put up very similar offensive numbers this year to what Yonder Alonso put up in 2008 at Miami (and better numbers than Wieters had at Georgia Tech.) Assuming he can stay behind the plate (which most accounts say he can, although he'll never be above average defensively), what is not to love?

Remember when everyone was salivating over the idea of Yonder Alonso behind the plate? Well isn't this the opportunity to draft exactly that?

With the way Mesoraco seems to be progressing, the Reds could potentially have two top-flight catching prospects ready by 2012. That wouldn't be such a bad problem to have. Worst case scenario, they could move Grandal to 3B- where most scouts seem to think he could play.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-04-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know enough about the draft to really have much input. But what does scare me about Wimmers is that many have been comparing him to Mike Leake. What I do know is that Leake is doing something that no one in the history of modern baseball has done. Not only jumped to the bigs without any minor league experience but also not stubbing his toe. While Wimmer's game may look similar to Leake's, I don't want the Reds to draft him if they think he will succeed in the same vain as Leake.

I am hoping the Reds go offense in the first round. The overall offensive game in the minors right now if offensive. Even their top hitting prospects are struggling. You can't have enough pitching, but you can have too little hitting.
    No one of importance has made a comparison to Leake. To the extent the comparison is being thrown around is just that Wimmers is a similar style pitcher and is said to be the most polished pitcher in the draft. I think the comparisons have (and should have) ended there.

Comps get tossed around too haphazardly on message boards. Even if a player truly resembles one before him, it means absolutely nothing in his development and likelihood of becoming a successful player.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I saw in the mock draft just put up that there are some of dual sports players and signability is a question because of that. Any chance we may take a flyer on any of those after the 1st round hoping to reach an arrangement like we did with Adam Dunn or the guy we took last year (name eludes me)?
    Pat White?

Law's latest (from today) has Cincy taking Grandal (also mentions Gary Brown and Colon) with Castellanos falling to 24.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Law's latest (from today) has Cincy taking Grandal (also mentions Gary Brown and Colon) with Castellanos falling to 24.
    Read two reports about lack of bat speed with Grindal. One from BA. There isn't anything scarier than drafting a kid that early and he can't hit with a wooden bat.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Castellanos is falling because of signability. Family has money Dad a Doctor Mom is also a professional. Word is that it will take more than 4 million to get him to skip college so do not know many teams that want to pay that? Also according to Kevin Goldstein Grandal may not be a fit for the Reds because he has the same agent that Alonso has and they left on bad terms after Alonso signed. Goldstein made the comment on his latest mock has Reds taking Vitek. Have no idea on how to link but his mock can be found at
    www.baseballprospectus.com

Keith Law still has the Reds taking Grandal. He also states, "I'm only hearing them on college players, including Colon and Gary Brown."

Per Zack Links via MLBTraderunors.com via Frank Piliere of Fan House .com want to make sure all who broke the news get credit. Grandal and the Royals have reached agreement. So he goes fourth and another player drops into the Reds laps. Who will it be?

Grandal and the Royals have reached agreement. So he goes fourth and another player drops into the Reds laps. Who will it be?
    Interesting, given the rumor that he was floating a huge bonus number.

Grandal's been considered a guy who'd go top 10 anyway, so this doesn't suggest a more elite player will drop to the Reds. Received wisdom was that the Royals would take a college arm (Pomeranz or Sale), so maybe it means a college arm drops, like Deck McGuire. But this is idle speculation, and I think it's fairly certain there will be a couple surprises before the Reds pick anyway.

Bryce Brentz... please, please, please, please........
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

From Frankie Piliere:

McGuire the Odd Man Out

The player most impacted by Yasmani Grandal going to the Royals is probably Deck McGuire. Grandal pushes Drew Pomeranz to the Indians, and Chris Sale to the Diamondbacks. Arizona was McGuire's most likely landing spot. But, now with Houston zoning in on Josh Sale, and San Diego likely going with Choice or Vitek, it could push McGuire all the way to the the Reds, who would be very happy to take him. Alex Wimmers and Christian Colon are still under serious consideration for the Reds as well.
    Piliere also has the Reds selecting Deck McGuire in his updated mock draft.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/05/d...sms_ss=twitter

How would most folks feel if the Reds took McGuire?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    How would most folks feel if the Reds took McGuire?
    I think in a draft full of meh pitchers that will be there when the Reds most likely pick I think they should probably go after one of the bats, or position players.

I'd be ok with McGuire compared to a lot of the other guys though.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I think in a draft full of meh pitchers that will be there when the Reds most likely pick I think they should probably go after one of the bats, or position players.

I'd be ok with McGuire compared to a lot of the other guys though.
    Agree with this assessment. Unfortunately it looks like Grandal, J.Sale, and Choice will all be off the board by 12. If that's the case, I think it has to be Colon or McGuire.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?